BA MUSICAL THEATRE COURSE FOR SEPT 2018

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Re: BA MUSICAL THEATRE COURSE FOR SEPT 2018

Post by riverdancefan »

I must admit as a mum of a boy who has been dancing and training in tap and ballet for 12 years and is at a pretty high standard, it boils my pee a little that other lads are accepted into top colleges as 'trainable'. And that they are all at the same standard after a year.
I could have saved myself a good few thousand pounds there... :lol:
Oh well!
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Hilltop
GRAMMY Award

Post by Hilltop »

Robin64 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:10 pm
Caroline A-C wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:44 am Think it is worth remembering that all these colleges are looking for POTENTIAL that they can train. After all, isn't it the job of the colleges to train their students. It is an advantage to have dance/singing/acting experience but you don't have to have studied since you were in nappies. DS had virtually no dance training apart from about a term's worth of ballet lessons and he was not the only one by far when he started at Arts Ed. The students were divided according to dance ability in their first year and they were soon brought to the point that in the second year there was no division according to your dance ability.
Substitute a girl who has had "virtually no dance training" into this scenario and it wouldn't be the same. But we've had that discussion before.

Realistically a girl with no dance training would need to think carefully about where to apply. If they had amazing gymnastic or street skills they could stand out if other elements - singing especially were excellent but I think a girl with no previous ballet or jazz would be at a serious disadvantage in MT auditions whatever the potential. But that's not to say there aren't colleges for that candidate because some are more acting or singing led. However there are just more girls auditioning so it's more competitive for them. The ballet and jazz auditions are tough - if you are planning to audition then my advice would be to up your fitness and take ballet and jazz classes.
I’m glad you said that because I’m spending hundreds on my DD dance classes at the moment in the hope that she’ll be able to hold her own in the auditions when she’s older. Sometimes I do worry that I’m spending too much money and is it all worth it when she’ll be (hopefully) training later, but then I think of how competitive it will be just to get in!
itsalongshot
BRIT Award

Post by itsalongshot »

Hi hilltop and robin
Mine had been training in all disciplines, not just dance, for 14 years ,prior to auditioning and I certainly would not say that they are all at the same level at the end of the first year, there is a vast difference between a year of dance lessons and a lifetime building foundations. It seems to me that it is the ones who hav3 prior training are the ones with multiple offers and chances at scholarships, dadas etc.
Maybe they are at the same level of what the expectation regarding commitment and hard work ethic is expected of them.
But this is just my opinion and they are all taken at merit on audition day.
No you are not wasting your money, you are giving your son the best chance possible.
Lots of best wishes for your child’s audition days
itsalongshot
BRIT Award

Post by itsalongshot »

riverdancefan wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:23 pm I must admit as a mum of a boy who has been dancing and training in tap and ballet for 12 years and is at a pretty high standard, it boils my pee a little that other lads are accepted into top colleges as 'trainable'. And that they are all at the same standard after a year.
Oh well!
No you are not wasting your money, you are giving him the best possible chance :D
itsalongshot
BRIT Award

Post by itsalongshot »

itsalongshot wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:55 pm Hi hilltop and robin64
Mine had been training in all disciplines, not just dance, for 14 years ,prior to auditioning and I certainly would not say that they are all at the same level at the end of the first year, there is a vast difference between a year of dance lessons and a lifetime building foundations. It seems to me that it is the ones who hav3 prior training are the ones with multiple offers and chances at scholarships, dadas etc.
Maybe they are at the same level of what the expectation regarding commitment and hard work ethic is expected of them.
But this is just my opinion and they are all taken at merit on audition day.
No you are not wasting your money, you are giving your son the best chance possible.
Lots of best wishes for your child’s audition days
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

itsalongshot wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:58 pm
riverdancefan wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:23 pm I must admit as a mum of a boy who has been dancing and training in tap and ballet for 12 years and is at a pretty high standard, it boils my pee a little that other lads are accepted into top colleges as 'trainable'. And that they are all at the same standard after a year.
Oh well!
No you are not wasting your money, you are giving him the best possible chance :D
and he loves it so it's win win :D thank you btw x
itsalongshot
BRIT Award

Post by itsalongshot »

riverdancefan wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:17 pm
Oh well!

Hi riverdancefan
Which is your son auditioning for. If you have any questions please feel free to pm me, however small the question as I know 2 years ago I had a million questions to ask.
Mine also lived for the training and it has all paid off .
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

itsalongshot wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:43 pm
riverdancefan wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:17 pm

Hi riverdancefan
Which is your son auditioning for. If you have any questions please feel free to pm me, however small the question as I know 2 years ago I had a million questions to ask.
Mine also lived for the training and it has all paid off .
Luckily it’s over for him this year, he got offered a place at Arts Ed early in the process which was a relief but thank you x
itsalongshot
BRIT Award

Post by itsalongshot »

Fabulous riverdancefan, a huge well done. As I said any questions please ask. :D
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

Wow! I was not meaning my comments to cause such a problem. I was merely saying what the situation was for my DS when he got his place. He was told on the day that he was "trainable". He has worked continuously since graduating in 2014 both in the West End and touring so his lack of dancing previously did not hold him back. I did not mean or imply that those who had a lot of dance training would not get in or had wasted their money. I thought I was trying not to put those off who felt they had not taken enough dance training. I apologise for upsetting people.
All new to me!
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

I also did not say that they were brought to the same standard after a year - they were just not divided according to ability. I am really quite upset with this situation and think I will not come on again.
All new to me!
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

By the way, it was Arts Ed that DS went to.
All new to me!
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Caroline A-C wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:39 pm I also did not say that they were brought to the same standard after a year - they were just not divided according to ability. I am really quite upset with this situation and think I will not come on again.
Please don't worry. We have all said things meaning them to be taken one way then finding people had taken something different out of the words. I know exactly what you were getting at, but also see how that could sound upsetting too.

Don't leave the group! We all appreciate your advice and experience.

my DS somewhere between the two. Always loved dance when he used to be dragged along to younger sisters classes. Pester to join age 8 then went through to age 12 doing more and more. Hit the peer pressure big time and gave up all except drama, only to take it back up in GCSE year (was that sensible??) and then devoted all the time he could to it and managed to get offers at 5 out of 6 places he auditioned.
Dodger'smum
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dodger'smum »

I appreciated what CarolineA-C was trying to convey as DS is at the other end of the scale - no ballet or singing lessons, just tap and piano. That hasn't stopped him having professional theatre experience or getting onto a quality BTEC course at Emil Dale...BUT.....I do worry what he'll come up against when he starts auditioning. So it was lovely to hear that possibility could be there, thank you :) .

PS Regarding the Laine scholarship mentioned in the thread, are these generally means tested everywhere? We seem to be too poor to afford options like this but earning too much to get help. Housing Benefit and an enterprise donation from the council have been a real bonus this year at least.
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

The entry year will be a whole lot of varying standards as the students have come from such diverse backgrounds. The talented students will always get a place somewhere, they may have to wait a year, they may have to do a foundation year, they may just get straight in with multiple offers. What matters is how they cope with the training and how they apply themselves. There are not enough theatre jobs for all the talented professionals but hopefully they will all benefit from doing something they love, with like minded people.

Some schools are more dance focused others more drama focused. You have to know where your child’s talents are and accept they will not be suitable for every school.

I have 2 boys. One dancer who is currently at Tring the other more a singer/actor who will be going to do a BTech at our local college before auditioning at 18. The younger one flat out refused to dance as was too bothered by the agro he got from school peers. He realised at his audition for ED that his non dancing had really let him down and got me to find him a local dance teacher. He now takes Jazz and will get dance on his BTech. Will he ever be a dancer? NO WAY, he left it far too late (not a natural like his brother). And we will have to be careful where he auditions at 18. It may be he isn’t talented enough to get in anywhere, only time will tell. I know one thing for sure, he LOVES his singing and acting. They have made him the open, confident, personable young man he is today. He struggles at school as he has dyslexia but the performing arts has made him realise he has something to offer and life is not all about academic success.

Whether either of my boys performs professionally really does not bother me at all. They have had a fantastic childhood, done amazing things, met great people and are confident well adjusted lads. They will find their way in life as I am sure all your fantastically talented children will too. Let life take its course and drink wine!