siblings

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

siblings

Post by lotsolaffs »

Out of interest does anyone know how siblings are treated when applying for a place to study.
What happens if one is leaving and another due to start,do you think they get preference or judged on their own merit ? They of course should be but I do wonder.
I am thinking of The Brit school in particular.
afab
GRAMMY Award

Re: siblings

Post by afab »

Hi, I have 2 DDs at LSC. When DD2 applied, DD1 was in her first year. They were and still are treated on their own merits. I didn't feel any preference nor any "leakage" from one to the other. The only downside I can think of is a admin error that gave the marks of one to the other but it was easily fixed... And the fact some teachers got confused at first because they look quite alike... which they are used to...
theMTAonline
BRIT Award

Post by theMTAonline »

FYI The MTA does not permit siblings to train at the same time. That said, given that it's a 2 yr course, sibling No 2 only has to wait a year before they can start. Once No 2 starts, the faculty are advised not to make any comparisons to No 1.
We believe that drama college is about finding your own way, and having someone close to you on the course has the potential to be limiting (but then that's also because we're a small college)
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Thank you both, I like that MTA,it make sense.
It's just that we know someone who has a place and has a sibling due to audition at the same time as my DD, her family has been able to afford to move into the catchment area so the 2nd ( not even remotely talented as the 1st ) has more of a chance of getting in,just wondered if the better ones reputation will help. Both lovely girls though.
My DD doesn't want to be at college with anyone she already knows,she feels it would be limiting and loves to meet new people, she has already said she won't go if they both get in. It will be interesting to see what happens.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

What about twins?

Am thinking of twins I know who are both due to audition in September for colleges (both currently in a lower school). It would be awful if the family had to decide who took up a place and who didn't.
theMTAonline
BRIT Award

Post by theMTAonline »

I would like to think that a reputable school or college would take each child on merit.

RE: the twins questions - to be honest we would still only take one of them. The dynamics within the group would just be wrong. How could you explore the joys/difficulties of being a twin if the other one was present. I think for that for the money we all cost it's the individual's training needs should come first, not the family dynamic.

Tricky . . .but if we liked both, we would work with the students in question to see who came first.

In truth ALL of our parents have 'got it', and it makes sense to them. . .BUT I'm aware that our course is unique, and we work in very close quarters with all of our students.

That said . . .a surprisingly large amount of work for twins out there (so it's not all bad news)