Sixth Form and future training when?

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

gingerbam
GRAMMY Award

Re: Sixth Form and future training when?

Post by gingerbam »

biscuitsneeded wrote:Thank you all - so much helpful info. I did note the high entrance grade requirements for GSA! But good to see there are other places where the tuition is covered. One last question - does anyone know the income thresholds for Dadas? We are two working parents so we're not really struggling as such, but we have pretty 'normal' jobs and incomes, DC at state schools etc. I suspect we would fall just in the middle where we wouldn't be eligible for much, but paying tuition fees on top of living expenses would be a big stretch. Hence the attraction of schools where loans can be obtained!

That is the problem we have had, working parents where our income is considered high but doesn't really take into account mortgage and debts (due to divorce) we never qualify for any grants etc but would struggle if we had to pay for high fees. We have time now to prep etc. we often get grief off my mum for the amount of money we spend on dd training.
gingerbam
GRAMMY Award

Post by gingerbam »

jaybeeyellow wrote:Be careful with GSA. Due to their affiliation with the University of surrey, they ask for [high] grades at A2, so if your S is academic, and will be doing A levels, he will have to get at least 2 A grades. This scenario has caught many students out.

yikes, that is a lot of pressure. My dd is not mega academic so we will need to watch grades.
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

Well I guess it's only GSA where the grades are so important. DS is academic but lazy, so I guess the possibility of getting into GSA might encourage him to work hard, which would be nice!!
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

Income threshold for DADAs is currently £90k - so earn above that and you are ineligible for any award and the parental contribution varies according to income up to that cut off point.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ales/aaaaa
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

Thanks. Hopefully that means we would qualify for something ...
fatladysings
Nominee

Post by fatladysings »

If your DC is good at dance you could also consider Urdang for a degree course. I have a feeling however that their degree fees are £12,000 rather than £9000 or DC is mainly acting there is Rose Bruford in Sidcup. I think that is 'only' the normal tuition fees. Central is mainly acting with a MT course but you have to pass the acting audition initially I think. In fact the only degree places which are 'private' as far as I can recall for musical theatre are Arts Ed and Mountview so there's still loads of choice from the UCAS applications although of course all the places like GSA, Bird, Central, Urdang, Bruford, East 15, Manchester Metropolitan are all massively over-subscribed. I don't think Italia Conti have a degree course at present but I may be wrong - that is highly thought of for MT. I have also heard that Performers might be doing a degree course soon but whether it will be the standard £9000 or more because it is 'private' remains to be seen. Hammond do a degree course which is only the standard £9000 although the rest of the school and the diploma course are 'private' so just because most of it is private doesn't necessarily mean that the standard UCAS type fees won't be applicable for a degree course. As always it's a bit of a minefield and things change quite rapidly with new courses etc springing up all over the place. I assume places like RADA and LAMDA are completely private as well as being extremely difficult to get into but I think they are pretty much pure acting so probably not ideal anyway if DC wants to be more triple threat.
gingerbam
GRAMMY Award

Post by gingerbam »

2dancersmum wrote:Income threshold for DADAs is currently £90k - so earn above that and you are ineligible for any award and the parental contribution varies according to income up to that cut off point.

phew that is hopeful for me too
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

2dancersmum wrote:Income threshold for DADAs is currently £90k - so earn above that and you are ineligible for any award and the parental contribution varies according to income up to that cut off point.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I asked about Dada's and how they worked a few months back and my understanding is though the amount for tuition is as listed in the link, there is no financial help for living/accommodation costs once the household income is above £30K.
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

You are correct. Over £30k household income you get no contribution towards living costs so will need to find c£9,000 a year in London (give or take).

The amounts in the table are what you pay towards fees each year irrespective of the fees.

These amounts are fixed for each income band and are not in a sliding scale.