foundation course housing benefit

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Re: foundation course housing benefit

Post by lyndahill »

I think on a Foundation Course you are entitled to Child Benefit still as long as the child is living at home for a number of weeks of the year. Not sure if Housing Benefit could also be claimed but I guess that is the child claiming HB and not the parent. We have just cancelled receiving our child benefit though as got a lovely tax bill in the post as hubby just went in to the High Income Charge for Child Benefit bracket and wasn't aware that although a PAYE tax payer, now has to complete a self assessment every year, regardless of gross salary now and repay a percentage of Child Benefit if you fall within the salary brackets. Check for your own household circumstances as it can come as a shock.
Joshan18
Nominee

Post by Joshan18 »

Dd has been offered a foundation for september and I got excited about the possibility of her being able to claim housing benefit. However she will be 19 in June and as the course starts in september I think she has missed the window of opportunity. :(
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

No I think you are still okay - it is under 21
https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_ ... ng_benefit

Students who are not in Higher Education up to a maximum age of 21 years, including 21 year olds who attained that age during the course (change in law from April 2012)
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

https://www.nihe.gov.uk/index/benefits/ ... udents.htm

This is a Northern Ireland advice site but same laws apply - you just can't ring them and ask for advice - I tried once.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Not many councils are clear about students and housing benefit but this page from Thanet Council has a bit more info. It says "while they were 19 or younger" Remember HB is a national benefit not decided by individual councils so same should apply anywhere.

https://www.thanet.gov.uk/your-services ... -students/

students may be eligible for Housing Benefit. Students that are considered vulnerable are:

students who are lone parents;
students under 21 who are not in higher education who were enrolled, accepted or started that course while they were 19 or younger;

This is from the Governments own website -

Definition of a Qualifying Young Person
A Qualifying Young Person is someone aged 16 to 19 who is in education or training.

In more detail
Aged over 16 in any of the following situations:

from their 16th birthday until 31 August following that birthday, whether or not they are in full time education

up to 31 August following their 19th birthday if they are enrolled in, or accepted for approved training or a course of education

The approved training or course of education should be either:

non advanced education, which is provided at a school or college or provided elsewhere but approved by the DWP; and where the average time spent during term-time in tuition, practical work, supervised study or taking exams (minus meal breaks or unsupervised study) exceeds 12 hours a week

OKAY, reading this there appears to be a possible difference between what Thanet have put (19 or younger)and what it says on the Gov site (this page is about universal credit but I think the definitions of a young person will apply) which suggests you must enrol(OR BE ACCEPTED FOR) before 31st August following 19th birthday. BUT YOU COULD DO THAT - ACCEPT or ENROL before 31st Aug for the foundation course. (sorry for the caps but I am hoping it helps make more sense to read!) This is complicated but I think you might be able to get Housing Benefit for your DD.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

LOL does anyone think that I should retrain as a lawyer! :D :D
kittykatty
BRIT Award

Post by kittykatty »

Thanks for all the information Robin64.

Has anyone claimed housing benefit for the Foundation at Artsed. DD has an offer and would like to go but trying to
work out if we can afford it.
Joshan18
Nominee

Post by Joshan18 »

Thanks for the info Robin64, it may be worth a shot! She has still got East15 to audition at tomorrow and had Italia Conti last Thursday so a little part of me is hoping for a 3 year offer or even a foundaton from either of them as they are both funded :D :D
Cosmicdancer
Nominee

Post by Cosmicdancer »

Just pondering between an intensive BTEC L3 and L6 Diploma course at two different institutions for my 16 year old. Would I be right in thinking only the former course would be eligible for HB?
The course costs alone for the diploma are eye watering! With no help for accommodation either?
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Cosmicdancer wrote:Just pondering between an intensive BTEC L3 and L6 Diploma course at two different institutions for my 16 year old. Would I be right in thinking only the former course would be eligible for HB?
The course costs alone for the diploma are eye watering! With no help for accommodation either?
That's right - A Level 6 Diploma doesn't qualify for HB
Bean
Nominee

Post by Bean »

sailorgirluae wrote:We are also hoping to claim HB for my DS for the foundation at GSA so from Guildford Council so if anyone has any tips on how to succeed with this please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Hi Sailorgirluae
I’ve just found the wording on GSA’s website that says the the foundation course is a preparation course for higher education.it says “......Both the Acting and Musical Theatre pathways are focused upon providing an insight into life within a conservatoire and preparing students for the rigours and expectations of conservatoire training and higher education”. That makes it pretty clear it’s not higher education so probably a quote worth making a note of.
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Robin64 wrote:LOL does anyone think that I should retrain as a lawyer! :D :D
:lol: :lol:
sailorgirluae
BRIT Award

Post by sailorgirluae »

Bean wrote:
sailorgirluae wrote:We are also hoping to claim HB for my DS for the foundation at GSA so from Guildford Council so if anyone has any tips on how to succeed with this please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Hi Sailorgirluae
I’ve just found the wording on GSA’s website that says the the foundation course is a preparation course for higher education.it says “......Both the Acting and Musical Theatre pathways are focused upon providing an insight into life within a conservatoire and preparing students for the rigours and expectations of conservatoire training and higher education”. That makes it pretty clear it’s not higher education so probably a quote worth making a note of.

Thanks for this - will def quote that when applying. Looks straight forward to apply online but prob less options to defend ones case. Is your DC def going to go to GSA?
Bean
Nominee

Post by Bean »

sailorgirluae wrote:
Bean wrote:
Hi Sailorgirluae

Thanks for this - will def quote that when applying. Looks straight forward to apply online but prob less options to defend ones case. Is your DC def going to go to GSA?
Hi. Yes - it’s always been her first choice and she isn’t going to do her remaining Trinity audition because at the moment she’d still prefer a GSA foundation year. I’m still a little confused about where we are in the procedure as she tried for the BA and was offered foundation at her recall. We’ve also had an email offer which we’ve accepted but apparently we will have to fill in an online form too which we haven’t heard anything about yet. Is your DC definitely going too ?
sailorgirluae
BRIT Award

Post by sailorgirluae »

Hi. Yes - it’s always been her first choice and she isn’t going to do her remaining Trinity audition because at the moment she’d still prefer a GSA foundation year. I’m still a little confused about where we are in the procedure as she tried for the BA and was offered foundation at her recall. We’ve also had an email offer which we’ve accepted but apparently we will have to fill in an online form too which we haven’t heard anything about yet. Is your DC definitely going too ?[/quote]

Sorry for the very late reply - yes my DS has taken the GSA foundation offer - turned down 2 - 3 year offers as he would prefer to go here instead - hope its the right choice.