Half term

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Robin64
BAFTA Award

Half term

Post by Robin64 »

Anyone else had their DC home this week? First time home since starting college although I did pop down for a quick visit. It's been lovely having DD back, we miss her. She is certainly having an amazing time. Next hols will be Xmas!! Starting to think of next auditions but really she just wants to stay where she is so that is the big dream.
Nice being able to treat her to some favourite meals this week :D
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Re: Half term

Post by dancemom43 »

Robin64 wrote:Anyone else had their DC home this week? First time home since starting college although I did pop down for a quick visit. It's been lovely having DD back, we miss her. She is certainly having an amazing time. Next hols will be Xmas!! Starting to think of next auditions but really she just wants to stay where she is so that is the big dream.
Nice being able to treat her to some favourite meals this week :D
Yes lovely to have DD back. Certainly lost a few pounds already so been treating her to some nice food xx Bird is amazing x they are both so lucky to be there xx
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Yes fitness is a huge part of it isn't it? DD also toning up more. She was telling me how super fit the third years are. DD has been in to London to see 2 shows with her flatmates and got really cheap tickets so that's been great too.
Had our eldest back from uni too so it's been such a nice week, the dog was in heaven to see them arrive back home!!
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

I would agree with the weight loss, DD has definitely lost a few pounds and is more toned, she's only a size 6-8 to start with so I did point that out to her. She does eat well, although I think Pot Noodles are being consumed on a regular basis! :lol: No rest for her, she is doing In The Heights with the British Theatre Academy all week, so just Sunday to recover and back to it!
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

I suppose we're lucky that our DD is at home with us whilst at Bird, but glad you're enjoying your time with your DD's

They all seem to love Bird, which is a good thing!
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

On a different tack does anyone know if you have to start all over again with UCAS application or does last year's info stay on the form to be updated?
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Robin64 wrote:On a different tack does anyone know if you have to start all over again with UCAS application or does last year's info stay on the form to be updated?
Morning
You have to register for 2018 Entry. They can use the same personal statement if they wish (you can't plagiarize your own work)
As they're not at school they have to enter as an independent student and put the school down as a referee. And, of course, pay again
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

It's been lovely having my DS home, he left a year earlier than I was mentally prepared for, buts it's wonderful seeing him so happy!
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Munchpot wrote:
Robin64 wrote:On a different tack does anyone know if you have to start all over again with UCAS application or does last year's info stay on the form to be updated?
Morning
You have to register for 2018 Entry. They can use the same personal statement if they wish (you can't plagiarize your own work)
As they're not at school they have to enter as an independent student and put the school down as a referee. And, of course, pay again
Thanks. I'm hoping the college will help out with the application process but not sure if they do. I remember the UCAS form being quite a lengthy task last time. Wish I had printed it out for reference now if it needs to be re-done. We do have the statement at least which can be updated. Wonder if internal candidates still need to do UCAS application?
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Robin64 wrote:
Munchpot wrote:
Morning
Thanks. I'm hoping the college will help out with the application process but not sure if they do. I remember the UCAS form being quite a lengthy task last time. Wish I had printed it out for reference now if it needs to be re-done. We do have the statement at least which can be updated. Wonder if internal candidates still need to do UCAS application?
My DD was told they do need to do the UCAS side of it - they put Luis down as the referee. The references should be done at the end of the month (They said)

She was told about not having to complete the official application form again - but I'm going to double check with the office (Don't want to miss out) I think they help out with the photos too, but not sure
Belledancer
BRIT Award

Post by Belledancer »

Eek! DD has her first audtion at next Friday - sooner that she'd hoped but she is ready to go and Im think getting one out of the way will calm the nerves. Can anyone tell me the nearest underground station for Millenium. We will be coming in on the train into Liverpool Street/via Tottenham Hale so am trying to work out the best way to get there. It's a 10 am start but obviously she will want to be there much earlier to warm up so rush hour!!
bub
Nominee

Post by bub »

we went to millenium open day....its a five min walk from both Woolwich Arsenal overground and Woolwich DLR stations if thats any help. Did you do the online or paper application?
Belledancer
BRIT Award

Post by Belledancer »

Millenium is the one open day we didn't do but dd saw them at the CDET conference and had a good chat. The online applicaton is a nighmare as you cant' save bits and go along it all has to be done then and there and then half of the attachements are too big to upload. I did call a few times to request a paper email version but was told by a very polite obviously student that he didn't think they existed and I should contact the audtion secretary which is what I'd been trying to do all along! ](*,) :) Dd really wanted 9th Dec but that date is now full with a waiting list!
bub
Nominee

Post by bub »

urgh we are nowhere near applying yet...dd up to her ears in rehearsals at sixth form . Am panicking a bit now. All seems overwhelming. When do they audition up to? Are lots of dates full? She's chosen Bird, Urdang, Millenium, Bodyworks and Performers to apply to....not sure about atts ed and laines ....and printed off paper copies and knows what she needs to get ready...personal statement done. Was aiming to get applications off by end of Nov...is that ok? Got open days booked at Performers and Bird.
bub
Nominee

Post by bub »

Millenium open day was good . Dd liked the workshop. They had a heap of paper applications for all who needed one. There was meant to be a question and answer session at the end which we arrived for but the timetable had changed and it wasn't on then..... did they mention their last ofsted report at all? I must admit it does look slightly worrying saying they need improvement in all areas , but I just wondered if it was one thing that had affected the whole report and they had put it right since? Got a good feeling from the staff we met. Only criticism would be the actual facilities. It looked tired.