colds and sore throats any tips?

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Robin64
BAFTA Award

colds and sore throats any tips?

Post by Robin64 »

DD has a blocked nose and sore throat and does seem prone. She had this several times last year including audition time. She did have glandular fever december 2015 but i'm not sure if it has anything to do with that. Apart from regular hand washing and vitamin C does anyone have any tips for good vocal health and dealing with a blocked nose if you have to sing?
RoseTowers4
GRAMMY Award

Re: colds and sore throats any tips?

Post by RoseTowers4 »

Is it a regular cold or an allergy to something?
George'smum
BRIT Award

Post by George'smum »

Drink warm water with lime, drink small amounts of water regularly, a steamer might help (just a basic facial cleansing one for about £20), some people say echinacea helps but I don’t know enough about that to say whether it does or not, avoiding talking when her throat is sore and absolutely don’t whisper as an alternative, if it’s regular and doesn’t seem to be getting better then might be worth taking an antihistamine as tree spores can be responsible for hay fever like symptoms.
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

Use a vocal steamer regularly and gargle with sandersons. We had DD on well women, vitamin C etc and stayed well away from anyone with a cold. Even had the flu jab. You can only do best to avoid but she still caught the odd cold x
Lechia78
GRAMMY Award

Post by Lechia78 »

A product called "throat coat" can't speak highly enough of it.
Barton285
BRIT Award

Post by Barton285 »

If you've got a juicer juice an apple and little piece of fresh ginger (start small and build up size as not everyone likes ginger) - great for when you know that cold is coming on.

If lost voice juice about 2 inches of pineapple with small piece of ginger and drink regularly.
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Ginger is the winner for us. Honey and lemon tea with fresh ginger grated in then strained. An acquired taste I'll admit :lol: but does the trick every time!!
scottishdancer00
BRIT Award

Post by scottishdancer00 »

We are having the same problem ! DD all prepared to get started with audition season and she’s been totally floored with tonsillitis for the past 4 days .
She’s got antibiotics so hopefully improvements soon but she’s not been to school, work, dance or singing which is SO unlike her
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Thanks all. I will be passing on all your tips. We have tried honey lemon and ginger which is helpful and luckily packed DD off to college with supplies of honey. It has happened at really crucial times before including last year's auditions so trying to be more pro active now.
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

Take zinc supplements to boost immune system - too late for this season but if take every day i find that it is years that I go without a cold, etc. Haven'tahad a cold sore in years either and I used to get them from the sun, cold and viruses.x
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

Robin64 wrote:DD has a blocked nose and sore throat and does seem prone. She had this several times last year including audition time. She did have glandular fever december 2015 but i'm not sure if it has anything to do with that. Apart from regular hand washing and vitamin C does anyone have any tips for good vocal health and dealing with a blocked nose if you have to sing?
Sorry a late response but logged on after a while. My son too had severe glandular fever last year as well as tonsillitis. He was in hospital for a week - it was a scary time, thought he would never sing again. The doctors did say he would be prone to more colds etc. He currently has sore throat too.

That's the downside of auditions being at this time of year where all the common colds are going round too. Honey is good, as well as the gargling of salty warm water. I've just also bought a few things off Amazon too to help with the throat. Echinacea I have been told is good for immune system and to help prevemy symptoms of cold, so it's worth a shot
Rose20
BRIT Award

Post by Rose20 »

Probably too late this time but next time see if they are willing to try one of the cold preventing nose sprays that are available. They make you sneeze when you first start using them but they really do help. We have found the cold doesn’t develop into the full blown runny nose and coughing fits, instead it’s much milder. We have one in the house ready to start at the first sign of a cold. You will need to check the age they can be used from though.