mountview advice needed

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

scottishdancer00
BRIT Award

mountview advice needed

Post by scottishdancer00 »

Sorry for the multitude of forum posts but I have no experience and no idea how to advise Dd. She is auditioning for Mountview on the 3rd of Jan and we just don’t know what she should wear . She has a black pretty leotard and pink tights for the dance section and either a pretty top and jeans or a nice floral dress for the singing / acting . Is this okay - or is it leggings and Tshirts etc ?
Also I know that they get asked to split themselves into beginner and advanced dancers. My DD has been dancing everyday this year but minimal experience before that. Would you say it’s better to go advanced and risk not looking self aware or go beginner and risk looking like she’s taking the lazy option ?
Thankyou all for all the advice you give us !!
performmum
BRIT Award

Re: mountview advice needed

Post by performmum »

Hey, leotard and tights are good for dancing. If she is not an advanced dancer I would suggest not going in that group. Many dancers have been dancing since they can walk and will have all of their dance exams. Better to look stronger in the less advanced section than weak in the advanced in my opinion.
Singing and drama outfits are a matter of comfort & personal style. At the end of the day feeling confident in what you are wearing is more important, so try and wear something that reflects personality and compliments the style of the song and monologue.
More importantly, relax and enjoy the experience. Good luck to your DD x
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

We have found so far in the four auditions that DD has had that clothing varies x My DD wore leotard and pink tights although at Urdang other girls made her feel very uncomfortable wearing the pink tights saying she needed jazz tights. Well she now has a pair lol but she ended up wearing her jazz pants and prob stuck out like a sore thumb lol x For singing DD wore a simple black skater dress which she could chuck over leotard and tights for quick change with a bright skinny belt and low heels x but as I say the clothing varied a lot from casual to smart x Goodluck x
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

I would say smarter rather than the jeans theme . For dance they just want to see their body shape, posture etc so I'm sure any dance wear good . Good luck.
scottishdancer00
BRIT Award

Thanks everyone! I’m starting to thing black tights might be better than pink ballet ones but she doesn’t have any dance specific footless ones , would normal black tights ( her school ones )and jazz shoes be appropriate or should I cut open the feet of a pair of her tights ?
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Stick with pink x It was only at Urdang which for us was the danciest one x GSA was fine x I didn't want to worry you just something we found out at Urdang lol x All the rest pink tights were fine and it was what was stated on the audition info form anyway x
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

My daughter tends to wear pink ballet tights if there is a ballet class specified & (Primark) blackfootless tights over the top if it is a jazz/general dance class. She is auditioning for more dancy MT courses.

So far for singing/monologues she's worn a dress over the top of her leotard but I've seen more drama based colleges specify no skirts/dresses & they recommend leggings/tracksuit bottoms especially if there is an acting workshop as part of the process.

I'd say no jeans, they restrict movement too much.
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

viewtopic.php?t=21504

Hi. I'm not sure if the link above works but there is an old thread regarding Mountview auditions and what to wear. I think it is under training so if it doesn't work then you should be able to scroll back. My dd never auditioned at Mountview but we were advised not to wear jeans for any part of any of her auditions. Good luck to your dd. Xxx
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

The dance level question is a tricky one. DD auditioned there for Sep-16 entry and agonised over it. In the end it was a disaster and out of her control. She decided to go for advanced but there were so many that day who said they were advanced that they asked who had what grade in ballet and split them that way to even up numbers. DD ended up in the beginners and the level of dance was so basic (in her humble opinion) and aimed at "non-dancers" that she didn't get a chance to show what she could do. I'm sure others had different experiences and hers was just down to the sheer numbers of advanced dancers that day.
scottishdancer00
BRIT Award

lbm1e14 wrote:The dance level question is a tricky one. DD auditioned there for Sep-16 entry and agonised over it. In the end it was a disaster and out of her control. She decided to go for advanced but there were so many that day who said they were advanced that they asked who had what grade in ballet and split them that way to even up numbers. DD ended up in the beginners and the level of dance was so basic (in her humble opinion) and aimed at "non-dancers" that she didn't get a chance to show what she could do. I'm sure others had different experiences and hers was just down to the sheer numbers of advanced dancers that day.
Thankyou for sharing - Dd is agonising over it too. Her worry is that she won’t be technical at all enough for the advanced group yet she is quite flexible and wants to show off her kicks etc . I think she will go beginners although knowing her she will change her mind a million times before Wednesday.
If I could ask another question about your daughters audition - did they get the opportunity to perform their monologues because the recall or is it just singing and dancing then recall ? Thankyou x
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

scottishdancer00 wrote:
lbm1e14 wrote:The dance level question is a tricky one. DD auditioned there for Sep-16 entry and agonised over it. In the end it was a disaster and out of her control. She decided to go for advanced but there were so many that day who said they were advanced that they asked who had what grade in ballet and split them that way to even up numbers. DD ended up in the beginners and the level of dance was so basic (in her humble opinion) and aimed at "non-dancers" that she didn't get a chance to show what she could do. I'm sure others had different experiences and hers was just down to the sheer numbers of advanced dancers that day.
Thankyou for sharing - Dd is agonising over it too. Her worry is that she won’t be technical at all enough for the advanced group yet she is quite flexible and wants to show off her kicks etc . I think she will go beginners although knowing her she will change her mind a million times before Wednesday.
If I could ask another question about your daughters audition - did they get the opportunity to perform their monologues because the recall or is it just singing and dancing then recall ? Thankyou x
She did do her monologue and that was a disaster too :roll: as was her singing. As you've gathered her Mountview audition did not go well at all. It was the only one however. So just a bad day.

The monologue went well first time through. Can't recall what it was but it was in an American accent. They then asked her to do it again in her native accent which is RP. Threw her completely and she dried up part way through.

So the dance was out of her control, the monologue hiccup was down to her. But the accompanist let her down a bit on her singing. He/she didn't follow the dynamics which were clearly printed on the music sheet and didn't slow down towards the end so it all went out of time a bit.
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

lbm1e14 wrote:
scottishdancer00 wrote:
She did do her monologue and that was a disaster too :roll: as was her singing. As you've gathered her Mountview audition did not go well at all. It was the only one however. So just a bad day.

The monologue went well first time through. Can't recall what it was but it was in an American accent. They then asked her to do it again in her native accent which is RP. Threw her completely and she dried up part way through.

So the dance was out of her control, the monologue hiccup was down to her. But the accompanist let her down a bit on her singing. He/she didn't follow the dynamics which were clearly printed on the music sheet and didn't slow down towards the end so it all went out of time a bit.
Sorry meant to add please check the current audition process online and other the college as this was two years ago now and they may have altered it.

Talking of which have GSA changed their shocking first audition process as rumoured? There was talk of it I think on this forum last year. Or is it still 32 bars of a song and a few questions the answers to which were already in the application?
Last edited by lbm1e14 on Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

GSA was 32 bar song, dance workshop and interview x A long day x My DD didn't get a recall but apart from the job prospects it wasn't her first choice x
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

Marissa wrote:GSA was 32 bar song, dance workshop and interview x A long day x My DD didn't get a recall but apart from the job prospects it wasn't her first choice x
Very good to hear :D .
DGtherunner
BRIT Award

Post by DGtherunner »

DS did the regional Mountview auditions last week and they didn't have to choose Beginner or Advanced for the dance. They split the whole group into 2 and they went through the whole process (dance, singing and acting) together. They did their songs and monologues in front of the whole group too, not just in front of tutors.