Wilkes Academy

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Upinlights
BRIT Award

Wilkes Academy

Post by Upinlights »

Hi Anyone's dc at Wilkes Academy. My dd auditioning in a couple of weeks, she loves the look of the college. She is only 16 and would have to live away from home. Anyone with info about the living arrangements of the students and general opinions of the Academy would be greatly appreciated.
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Re: Wilkes Academy

Post by lbm1e14 »

Don't have specifics I'm afraid but DD has a friend there in her second year, not a close friend, but she does keep in touch with her and she seems to be happy with it. Her friend went there very much as a dancer and not as an MT performer as she had never sung in public or had singing lessons or been In any shows other than dance shows. So she was possibly not typical. No idea how much she has progressed in singing/acting.

Bear in mind that this is a relatively new college with I think two graduating years now. Being in Swindon access to London and agents for showcases is clearly difficult although they do do a London showcase I think. It is no doubt well connected given Jonathan Wilkes and I seem to recall Ant and Dec were/are patrons. So not sure if it's more TV connected than MT.

Also clearly it has a very short pedigree so sustained good outcomes are not there to check, so all you can do is look at the contact hours, quality of teaching staff and outcomes such as they are. Rightly or wrongly DD refused to audition there because it's not in London.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

They were at Move It last year and are there this year I think,I am sure I saw a workshop available. Worth going if you can to see them in action .
I just looked at their website,quite an in depth audition process and great to have the BTEC available.
I would imagine they would have a list of host families or at least be able to help with queries.
Newbe2018
GRAMMY Award

Post by Newbe2018 »

My Dd has been offered a place at wilkes on the day, was this the same for anyone else?, if it helps, they have student Halls for 1st years with warden, My dd loved it here, only audition where she actual had a name tag, not a number. When we waited in reception the teaches knew every name of every student and even ensured to learn the names of the kids auditioning, My only concern is that it's a Btec course, dd has already done Btec in dance, feel like it's a side step with regards to education, but they do have some amazing links with P&O and a great up and coming reputation.
Itsastrangeworld
BRIT Award

Post by Itsastrangeworld »

My DD has chosen Wilkes over some ‘better known’ colleges (Urdang, Performers, Bird, Laine). She was not offered a place on the day but was given fantastic feedback at the interview so the offer was expected.
The training looks fantastic and I agree with the previous post that teachers and Principals are invested in the actual student. Although still relatively new, the student successes are impressive with graduates working in West End, cruises and TV presenting. They also have a lot of guest choreographers. My DD has gone with her heart and is super excited to start in Sept.
Accommodation packs are due to be sent out at the end of May once auditions have been completed. The Halls (in an old hotel) are about 2-3 miles away.
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

They appear to have a good teaching faculty with some highly regarded staff and it is one we will also be looking at. I have been a bit confused about what they actually offer and the price as at Moveit the lady I spoke to said it was at Level 3 rather than Level 6 - but maybe that is changing. They are certainly a college worth considering and I think their reputation will develop well over the next few years. Is your dd 16 and doing their BTEC or diploma? Accommodation really helps too. Well done to her.
Itsastrangeworld
BRIT Award

The qualification is level 3, but quite frankly it’s all about the training and opportunities for me. At future auditions casting directors won’t be interested in the qualification at all. Luckily my DD will have strong A Levels to fall back and can look towards completing a degree (in a non-arts area probably) once she’s finished chasing her performing dream.
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

Itsastrangeworld wrote:The qualification is level 3, but quite frankly it’s all about the training and opportunities for me. At future auditions casting directors won’t be interested in the qualification at all.
Nothing could be truer Itsastrangrworld. DD is coming to the end of her training and you realise that actually in the end if you want to get on stage to perform you need excellent training, a great showcase opportunity, a Spotlight listing and a good agent. That's all that matters. When you're in an audition it doesn't matter where you went to train or what qualification you have. As posted previously, there are probably up to 15 colleges/Unis where you'll get excellent training. When it comes to showcase opportunities and getting an agent then the list is probably a little smaller. That said there is plenty work to be had if you don't have an agent. It just makes getting into the room for prestigious shows and tours difficult if not impossible.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Itsastrangeworld wrote:The qualification is level 3, but quite frankly it’s all about the training and opportunities for me. At future auditions casting directors won’t be interested in the qualification at all. Luckily my DD will have strong A Levels to fall back and can look towards completing a degree (in a non-arts area probably) once she’s finished chasing her performing dream.
I agree with you. It's one of my worries that my DD will end up using her years of entitlement to student funding on an Acting degree and at a later point in her life need to do something else and won't be able to get a 2nd degree due to funding. At the same time I don't think a Dada suits our household income because we couldn't afford housing and living costs in top of a contribution to the course fees.
Newbe2018
GRAMMY Award

Post by Newbe2018 »

Does anyone know how long it takes for the confirmation of offer from Wilkes to come through the post?
Itsastrangeworld
BRIT Award

My DD had her letter from Wilkes within a week, but it was just before they broke up for half term so they may have prioritised decisions.
Newbe2018
GRAMMY Award

Post by Newbe2018 »

Itsastrangeworld wrote:My DD had her letter from Wilkes within a week, but it was just before they broke up for half term so they may have prioritised decisions.
That fast?? OMG, beats the 4 weeks wait from other places. It's been a week so far, we at least know shes got a place there, but would be nice to have it in writing.
Itsastrangeworld
BRIT Award

Look out for the big black envelope with fancy gold writing :D
Newbe2018
GRAMMY Award

Post by Newbe2018 »

Itsastrangeworld wrote:Look out for the big black envelope with fancy gold writing :D
It's come!!!! Yay!! X
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Newbe2018 wrote:
Itsastrangeworld wrote:Look out for the big black envelope with fancy gold writing :D
It's come!!!! Yay!! Was a little shocked when dd opened, has been offered a scholarship \:D/ can't believe it, feel incredably lucky, maybe able to afford a holiday after all, lol X
Congratulations :D :D