Wilkes Academy

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Upinlights
BRIT Award

Re: Wilkes Academy

Post by Upinlights »

My dd was offered a scholarship here but chose Urdang in the end. We were a bit worried that they appear to offer everyone who auditions a place. They hold around 6 auditions a year with only 15 at each audition and have year groups of around 80/90. We know of lots that have auditioned, but does anyone know anyone not excepted ?
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

Congratulations to your dd Newbe2018. You and your dd must be over the moon! Xxx =D> =D> =D>
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Post by chivers61 »

Upinlights wrote:My dd was offered a scholarship here but chose Urdang in the end. We were a bit worried that they appear to offer everyone who auditions a place. They hold around 6 auditions a year with only 15 at each audition and have year groups of around 80/90. We know of lots that have auditioned, but does anyone know anyone not excepted ?
It's odd how these reputations develop. It's a young and not well known college so may to some extent just have to fill places until its stature grows. Interestingly when DD was auditioning a few years ago PPA had the reputation around here for being the college where evereyone who didn't get in at one of the established top colleges somehow got a place. In fact we know of at least 4 people in that category. Things have moved on however since then.
Itsastrangeworld
BRIT Award

Post by Itsastrangeworld »

chivers61 wrote:
Upinlights wrote:My dd was offered a scholarship here but chose Urdang in the end. We were a bit worried that they appear to offer everyone who auditions a place. They hold around 6 auditions a year with only 15 at each audition and have year groups of around 80/90. We know of lots that have auditioned, but does anyone know anyone not excepted ?
It's odd how these reputations develop. It's a young and not well known college so may to some extent just have to fill places until its stature grows. Interestingly when DD was auditioning a few years ago PPA had the reputation around here for being the college where evereyone who didn't get in at one of the established top colleges somehow got a place. In fact we know of at least 4 people in that category. Things have moved on however since then.
I think the College is becoming more established now. My DD had nearly 30 in her audition (which followed Move It so may have influenced that) and is an example of an auditionee who has selected Wilkes over many established names. Let’s not forgot that Wilkes have many more audition days than many of the big names so perhaps can afford the reduced number of auditionees at each. However, given the number auditioning and the number of places available, not everyone must get an offer of a place... simple maths!
This forum highlights the difficulty of our DC obtaining offers to their dream college so if another highly professional and successful college comes along I think it should be celebrated :)
klchaplin1980
BRIT Award

Post by klchaplin1980 »

chivers61 wrote:
My daughter is at Evolution Foundation College which is apparently one of the top foundation courses around and not everyone who auditioned at Wilkes from there got offered a place there and that is despite the close relationship Evo and Wilkes have (The principals of both colleges are close friends and they even have a very large house at Wilkes just for Evo students). Many students from Evo have chosen Wilkes over other top colleges. My daughter chose not to audition there as it isn’t Level 6 but they came in and did a workshop and she said it was the best one by far.
Newbe2018
GRAMMY Award

Post by Newbe2018 »

Scarytimes wrote:
Newbe2018 wrote:
Itsastrangeworld wrote:Look out for the big black envelope with fancy gold writing :D
It's come!!!! Yay!! Was a little shocked when dd opened, has been offered a scholarship \:D/ can't believe it, feel incredably lucky, maybe able to afford a holiday after all, lol X
Congratulations :D :D
Thank you, congratulations to you also x
Newbe2018
GRAMMY Award

Post by Newbe2018 »

Thank you beanie-bean, DD is over the moon, hasn't made her mind up yet where she's going, she's worried about making sure she makes the right choice.

When we started this journey we were just PRAYING for 1 offer, dd has received 6 offers out of the 8 she auditioned for. We feel incredibly blessed, as we know how hard it is to get into any of these places but now faced with the decision on where to go. Wilkes shouldn't be over looked , yes it is new but all these colleges had to start somewhere, as long as it keeps growing, i'm sure it would look just as impressive on your CV as Bird or Performers. DD's only concern is the course, The place, people, facility, connections are all perfect, dd just wished that it was a diploma or degree course.