BA / Foundation MT courses Sept 18

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Re: BA / Foundation MT courses Sept 18

Post by Marissa »

rhythmanddreams wrote:Well we have arrived at Chichester and I am so cross!!!!

We set off from home at 8am this morning and checked all updates before we left, and got as far as London Victoria at 3.30pm. My daughter (who was glad to have some wifi) checked her emails and the Uni had emailed at 9.30am this morning to cancel the audition AFTER we had set off (but of course we didn't get it because the train we were on didn't have wifi.
I spoke to them yesterday and they assured me that the audition was going ahead, and I told them we were setting off very early today!

This left us with two choices and 20 mins to decide what to do- either risk going back to Kings Cross and asking if we could use our tickets which are for Sunday to return home, or continue with our journey & hotel stay.
So here we are in a Travelodge in Chichester, for a none-existent audition that has cost me the best part of £300 in travel and expenses, and another £400 in lost wages (I am self employed and don't have anyone else to cover me at work). The Uni have said that they will reschedule the audition, so I am assuming that I have to fork out another £300 or so for travel (which I don't have), and I absolutely CANNOT take another Saturday off work because essentially, working Saturdays pays most of my wages for the week. Also, I have some important work deadlines that I have planned and booked around these audition dates, that now cannot be cancelled.
There just isn't anyone who is able or willing to bring my daughter instead, and I am not sending her on her own on an unfamiliar journey that requires 5 different trains and a bus for something as important as an audition. It's taken us 10 hours from leaving home to arriving at the Travelodge today, just to put the journey into perspective. I am so fed up!
Oh no I'm so sorry x that's so awful xxx where are you based x just maybe someone on here is near to you and has a postponed audition too by some miracle!!
Felicity
GRAMMY Award

Post by Felicity »

We set off from home at 8am this morning and checked all updates before we left, and got as far as London Victoria at 3.30pm. My daughter (who was glad to have some wifi) checked her emails and the Uni had emailed at 9.30am this morning to cancel the audition AFTER we had set off (but of course we didn't get it because the train we were on didn't have wifi.
I spoke to them yesterday and they assured me that the audition was going ahead, and I told them we were setting off very early today!

This left us with two choices and 20 mins to decide what to do- either risk going back to Kings Cross and asking if we could use our tickets which are for Sunday to return home, or continue with our journey & hotel stay.
So here we are in a Travelodge in Chichester, for a none-existent audition that has cost me the best part of £300 in travel and expenses, and another £400 in lost wages (I am self employed and don't have anyone else to cover me at work). The Uni have said that they will reschedule the audition, so I am assuming that I have to fork out another £300 or so for travel (which I don't have), and I absolutely CANNOT take another Saturday off work because essentially, working Saturdays pays most of my wages for the week. Also, I have some important work deadlines that I have planned and booked around these audition dates, that now cannot be cancelled.
There just isn't anyone who is able or willing to bring my daughter instead, and I am not sending her on her own on an unfamiliar journey that requires 5 different trains and a bus for something as important as an audition. It's taken us 10 hours from leaving home to arriving at the Travelodge today, just to put the journey into perspective. I am so fed up!
So sorry, what an awful situation.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Oh no that is awful! That is very late to let auditionees know. You told them you would have to leave early. Is there a recall? or is it all on the day? If they could offer your DD a recall without another audition at least you would not have an extra visit. In the circumstances that seems a fair thing to do. I don't blame you for feeling both cross and fed up! I would be too. If you have to fill a day tomorrow Arundel is nice and Brighton not too far away. I suppose it is all a bit weather dependent though. All the best x
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

So sorry for this situation you and your DD are in Robin :(
The main thing is you’re both safe and warm in your hotel - things could be alot worse I promise - nobody is hurt and you’ve got each other - have a little glass of wine and take a deep breath :)

I know it’s horrendous at the minute and I really feel for you both but it’ll work out somehow - when you get your new audition - you might just be able to work something out - maybe another family member or a good friend could go with you DD if next audition is on a sat

You’ll look back at this day and laugh about it x

Take care xxxxxx
rhythmanddreams
BRIT Award

Post by rhythmanddreams »

Sherbert wrote:So sorry for this situation you and your DD are in Robin :(
The main thing is you’re both safe and warm in your hotel - things could be alot worse I promise - nobody is hurt and you’ve got each other - have a little glass of wine and take a deep breath :)

I know it’s horrendous at the minute and I really feel for you both but it’ll work out somehow - when you get your new audition - you might just be able to work something out - maybe another family member or a good friend could go with you DD if next audition is on a sat

You’ll look back at this day and laugh about it x

Take care xxxxxx
Thank you. I know it could be worse. I am just so sad for her, as she has cut down to travel to only two auditions due to the sheer cost of the travel expenses of attend multiple auditions, so its down to just this one and Performers which is next weekend. I don't have anyone at all who can bring her for me instead, family too busy / not interested and dad not interested in performing - he was cross that she didn't take english or law. I don't know whether to call the Uni on Monday or not, I don't want to be THAT parent, or to jeopardise her chance of a fair audition, but I am devastated about the whole inconvenience, as for us it's such a lot of money to lose and I'm really not sure I can conjure up another £300 for a couple of weeks time (in a few months maybe) but not immediately. i told them on Thurs afternoon that we were leaving first thing Friday on the train, as I don't drive!
rhythmanddreams
BRIT Award

Robin64 wrote:[

Oh no that is awful! That is very late to let auditionees know. You told them you would have to leave early. Is there a recall? or is it all on the day? If they could offer your DD a recall without another audition at least you would not have an extra visit. In the circumstances that seems a fair thing to do. I don't blame you for feeling both cross and fed up! I would be too. If you have to fill a day tomorrow Arundel is nice and Brighton not too far away. I suppose it is all a bit weather dependent though. All the best x
Thanks Robin, there are no recalls, its just the one audition.
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

And I Just realised I called you Robin! ](*,)

I definitely agree you should call them on Monday and just explain - you won’t do any harm and they might just have an answer that suits you both xxx
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Sherbert wrote:And I Just realised I called you Robin! ](*,)

I definitely agree you should call them on Monday and just explain - you won’t do any harm and they might just have an answer that suits you both xxx
:D We are just snowed in at home but quite enjoying it. DS had a day off school and DH worked from home.

Just a bloomin pain for rhythmanddreams. Not much help for this year but some places do regional audition first rounds. DD did GSA in Birmingham last year when she lived at home. How about seeing if Chichester could put your DD up in a hall of residence room for free for the rearranged audition and maybe she could get a coach if the train is a bit complicated. It's a shame nobody else is being as supportive as you to your DD.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Or is it worth asking if they would accept a video audition as some international students do this xxx I don't know if it's possible but some unis do Skype interviews too x
rhythmanddreams
BRIT Award

I think the best we can hope for is an audition on a weekday (not likely as all the others are saturdays). Saturday 7th april would be good - we are already in London that weekend anyway, but can't really tell the Uni that. WE could do easter weekend at a push, but any term time ones are pretty much impossible for us now.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

rhythmanddreams wrote:I think the best we can hope for is an audition on a weekday (not likely as all the others are saturdays). Saturday 7th april would be good - we are already in London that weekend anyway, but can't really tell the Uni that. WE could do easter weekend at a push, but any term time ones are pretty much impossible for us now.
Why can't you tell the Uni that? You don't have to give them a reason for why you're in Lodnon that weekend, just tell them that you are.
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

lawn wrote:
rhythmanddreams wrote:I think the best we can hope for is an audition on a weekday (not likely as all the others are saturdays). Saturday 7th april would be good - we are already in London that weekend anyway, but can't really tell the Uni that. WE could do easter weekend at a push, but any term time ones are pretty much impossible for us now.
Why can't you tell the Uni that? You don't have to give them a reason for why you're in Lodnon that weekend, just tell them that you are.
I agree! It's their tardiness in communicating that caused all of this. Give them a ring, explain what happened, tell them the dates that are good for you and you might be pleasantly surprised! I'm sure you weren't the only ones to get caught out like this. It was unprecedented, so they must be able to find a solution. Let us know!
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

I agree x it's worth trying x worst that can happen is they say no x We still managed to get an audition with Hammond after having to reject the first two! We just asked really nicely x
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

... I am so fed up!
So sorry to hear about the cancellation - it is so expensive and they just don't seem to get that this is a lot of time, money and stress for the applicants and their families. Really hope something turns up to allow you DD to audition, and good luck for Performers next weekend.
MTlover123
BRIT Award

Post by MTlover123 »

Letter came through in the post this morning offering dd the foundation at Laine her dream college completly shocked as she thought it was way out of reach, she has two three year offers at PPA and Conti and isn't sure whether she wants to run the risk of potentially not gaining a three year place after the foundation and whether she will regret not taking a three year yet her dream is Laine and she doesn't think she could turn that down any thoughts or advice?