BA / Foundation MT courses Sept 18

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Upinlights
BRIT Award

Re: BA / Foundation MT courses Sept 18

Post by Upinlights »

Is it an audition for the Foundation or an offer of a place at Laine ? If Laine is her dream college, then the foundation seems like a good idea, and hopefully will give her a good chance of getting on the three year from there.
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

Well done on the offers :) I understand the dilemma totally! Laine has such a great name and I see it over and over in programmes, etc
Arrrrgh....what to do....if it’s an option financially I’d prob choose the foundation at Laine and hope and pray she gets in to do the degree there after foundation xx
MTlover123
BRIT Award

Post by MTlover123 »

Thank you for the congratulations myself and DD still on cloud 9! Laine was an offer for the foundation course they said the intake can vary between 18-40 so it's luck of the draw how much competition you will have the next year auditioning and how many of their foundies they take into the three year. DD is fretting as she loved the family feel at Italia Conti Arts Centre and feels like she would be of a similar level to other students where as perhaps she may feel a bit out of her depth at Laine however of course you need to be pushed and train with the best to be successful and Laine is seen a lot more in the programmes but to be fair Conti is still fairly new has anyone's DC had experience of foundation?
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

I remember this dilemma coming up before but for straight acting (it was Rada foundation versus degree GSA or Rose Bruford). Poster said they were thinking taking Rada and she'd update in a year what happened next but never did.

I was quite new then and not really familiar with foundation but I thought the words of the posters that answered very good advice. I'm going to paraphrase what was said (rather than try and find the thread).

'Foundation is when a college thinks your not quite ready for their main course. It isn't a feeder and in a year's time she might have no offer from Laine or anywhere else. Meanwhile 2 colleges want to take her'

You also need to think about the funding issues of foundation versus a 3 yr course
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

huge congratulations to your DD.
I would also seriously consider one of the 3 year offers.
PPA is fairly new, but I know someone who went there and has since done very well.
Contis is a very well known and highly regarded establishment, and I think the 3 year offer there is a brilliant acheivement.
Yes Laines is well known too, but there are lots of other colleges/unis that appear in theatre programmes.
I am a firm believer that if you work hard, then there is no reason why you shouldn't do just as well, which ever college you train at.
The fact that you have committed yourself to training, speaks for itself.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do xx :D
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

I do actually have to totally agree with jasmines last paragraph - if you work hard and you’re in the right place at the right time - it shouldn’t actually matter where youve trained :)) xxx
rhythmanddreams
BRIT Award

Post by rhythmanddreams »

I have to say that I agree, there are no guarantees after a years' foundation course. Congratulations to your daughter on all of her offers, though!! I am sure that she will make the right decision for her.
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

DS turned down offers at several colleges including a part scholarship at Urdang to take the Foundation at Laine. He knew it was the right place for him. The standard on entry is the same as the standard on entry of many three year courses - hence your dd getting three year offers too - but there just may be something Laine thought your dd was lacking or needs further training in to really push her to excel. Or, possibly, they just see her as being too young for their three year course. Every person on DS's year who completed the foundation course got a three year offer somewhere - but you're right - not all at Laine. They've had a whole year to decide if you're right for them - in attitude, work ethic, ability to take direction as well as developing as a performer. The other thing to consider is that after a foundation year your dd does not have the equivalent of A levels to apply for a degree course so I believe is restricted to diplomas, although many of these can now be converted either in the third year (as Laine are now offering) or afterwards.
Great to have the choice. I know my opinion will differ to others, but having learned that the MT world seeks more mature performers, then unless your dd just wants to be a dancer, then if your can afford it, I'd go with Laine. There are now around 10,000 young people leaving training every year to try to go into the industry. An extra year could make all the difference to ultimate success.
DS loved Laine - it was definitely the right choice for him. And Laineys are extremely well respected in the industry too! Good luck with our choice! And congratulations to your dd!
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

DD turned down 3 year courses at other colleges for a foundation at Bird but got moved onto 3 year in first few days as was on reserve. We felt this was the college that suited her best and was more reputable
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Any good hotels recommendations for us to stay at DDs final audition at Hammond?
fatladysings
Nominee

Post by fatladysings »

Travelodge is literally one minutes drive from Hammond. You would need to go to the adjoining Toby carvery for breakfast etc. It isn’t fancy but it is reasonably priced, plenty of free parking and best of all very close to Hammond. Good luck!
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

Marissa wrote:Any good hotels recommendations for us to stay at DDs final audition at Hammond?
We stayed at the Premier Inn Chester central (south east), it was around 6 minutes from the Hammond by car.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Try to book early for best deals ,also under 16 has breakfast free if you pay for one at Premier inn.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Thankyou x will sort that out now x
Felicity
GRAMMY Award

Post by Felicity »

rhythmanddreams wrote:I think the best we can hope for is an audition on a weekday (not likely as all the others are saturdays). Saturday 7th april would be good - we are already in London that weekend anyway, but can't really tell the Uni that. WE could do easter weekend at a push, but any term time ones are pretty much impossible for us now.
Did your DD manage to rearrange her audition at Chichester rhythmanddreams? Fingers crossed you got everything sorted.