BA / Foundation MT courses Sept 18

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Nickinoo
BRIT Award

Re: BA / Foundation MT courses Sept 18

Post by Nickinoo »

Hello all- we are on this audition merry-go-round for the second year. DD is currently on the MT foundation at Mountview and absolutely loving every minute. The training is very intensive but extremely thorough.

She has had one audition so far- the London regional audition for Royal Conservatoire Scotland and made it through to the third round which is in Glasgow this Sunday. She actually got that far last year too (which was pretty amazing as she was doing A levels and her training was relatively limited compared to many others who auditioned with her.) An eye wateringly expensive occasion involving flights, taxis and a hotel stay! Benefits of this course would be regular student finance but downside for us as a family would be that she would be 500 miles away. (currently a 40 min drive.)

She has first round auditions at Mountview, ArtsEd, Trinity and GSA over the next few weeks so keeping our fingers crossed that she gets something this year. She certainly seems far more confident this year as much of what they do on the foundation is geared towards audition prep.

Good luck to all your DCs!
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

Reading all the posts on this thread and the Auditioning for 2018 thread is very emotional. Takes me back to two years ago. I genuinely feel for everyone. You want so much for your DC but are powerless to get them what they want. All you can do is support them and make sure they stay realistic and philosophical about it all.

Wishing you and your DCs every success.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Well DDs audition at Trinity is done x Now to wait!! She was one of ten called back so everything crossed x She felt she hasn't got in although she did her best x Sounds like she did well singing and her monologue went well x They didn't ask her to dance! So we will see x Goodluck everyone going x
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

Marissa wrote:Well DDs audition at Trinity is done x Now to wait!! She was one of ten called back so everything crossed x She felt she hasn't got in although she did her best x Sounds like she did well singing and her monologue went well x They didn't ask her to dance! So we will see x Goodluck everyone going x
That's great news Marissa! =D> when does she find out?

I had a look at Trinity audition guidance page earlier and it says to prepare a dance lasting no longer than 2 mins so I'm surprised they didn't ask to see it. Seems a shame to waste auditionees' time
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Live_thedream wrote:
Marissa wrote:Well DDs audition at Trinity is done x Now to wait!! She was one of ten called back so everything crossed x She felt she hasn't got in although she did her best x Sounds like she did well singing and her monologue went well x They didn't ask her to dance! So we will see x Goodluck everyone going x
That's great news Marissa! =D> when does she find out?

I had a look at Trinity audition guidance page earlier and it says to prepare a dance lasting no longer than 2 mins so I'm surprised they didn't ask to see it. Seems a shame to waste auditionees' time
Thankyou x I know! I spent a fortune on that 2 minute solo. They only asked two girls, one who hadn't danced before and another because they said they hadn't noticed her in the dance workshop. They don't hear till the 26th at the earliest after last audition x
rhythmanddreams
BRIT Award

Post by rhythmanddreams »

Marissa wrote:
Live_thedream wrote:
Thankyou x I know! I spent a fortune on that 2 minute solo. They only asked two girls, one who hadn't danced before and another because they said they hadn't noticed her in the dance workshop. They don't hear till the 26th at the earliest after last audition x
Glad to hear it went well Marissa! Fingers crossed for the outcome. Are you also going to the one at The Hammond at the end of Feb?
rhythmanddreams
BRIT Award

Post by rhythmanddreams »

lbm1e14 wrote:Reading all the posts on this thread and the Auditioning for 2018 thread is very emotional. Takes me back to two years ago. I genuinely feel for everyone. You want so much for your DC but are powerless to get them what they want. All you can do is support them and make sure they stay realistic and philosophical about it all.

Thank you. It certainly is difficult for everyone, both the children and parents. It's like the culmination of so many years of hard work - for the parents all the time and money travelling to classes, hanging round while your child takes part in workshops, shows, festivals. For the child it can determine the rest of their life - make or break, which is a scary thought when it's something that they have loved and done for as long as they can remember. And suddenly it all comes down to that one audition.

Is your child on a full time course now? If so how is it going?
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

rhythmanddreams wrote:
lbm1e14 wrote:Reading all the posts on this thread and the Auditioning for 2018 thread is very emotional. Takes me back to two years ago. I genuinely feel for everyone. You want so much for your DC but are powerless to get them what they want. All you can do is support them and make sure they stay realistic and philosophical about it all.

Thank you. It certainly is difficult for everyone, both the children and parents. It's like the culmination of so many years of hard work - for the parents all the time and money travelling to classes, hanging round while your child takes part in workshops, shows, festivals. For the child it can determine the rest of their life - make or break, which is a scary thought when it's something that they have loved and done for as long as they can remember. And suddenly it all comes down to that one audition.

Is your child on a full time course now? If so how is it going?
Yes she's at The MTA which does a 2 year accelerated course and so she graduates this September. Her agent auditions begin in 2 weeks time! She's loved every minute of it and is unrecognisable as a performer compared to what she was when she started. It's hard to believe it's nearly all over and the scary world of unemployment and auditions awaits! As I've said on here before, getting on to a training course is hard, but then the actual training is the easy bit compared to what awaits them at the other end.
Felicity
GRAMMY Award

Post by Felicity »

Good news Marissa ! Well done to your DD on the recall. It will be a long 2 weeks waiting for decisions.
On Monday my DD was one of a few who did perform their dance piece in the recall. She reckoned it was because she has done less jazz than ballet training (the examiner was looking at her application form) so they wanted to check her out. DD said it went as well as could be expected so we will see. She tried her best.

I have to say how much I admire our DCs and the resilience and fortitude they are showing through this process; valuable skills for life
Last edited by Felicity on Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Felicity
GRAMMY Award

Post by Felicity »

Sherbert wrote:Good luck for Trinity
DS is auditioning there next Wednesday
DS has 2 really good friends who got on to Trinity BA last year, 1 loves it and 1 is leaving after 1st year as it wasn't for her
xx
Good luck to your DS next week Sherbert! I am interested in learning more about your DS’ friends if possible - why one loved it and why one is leaving?
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Thankyou xx and Goodluck Nickinoo xxx
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

rhythmanddreams wrote:
Marissa wrote:
Live_thedream wrote:

Glad to hear it went well Marissa! Fingers crossed for the outcome. Are you also going to the one at The Hammond at the end of Feb?
No we have the very last date I think so am expecting there to be no places left by the time we get there x 20th of March x
GDADSTAXI
BRIT Award

Post by GDADSTAXI »

Marissa wrote:We have the same Hammond audition date I think x It is very hard to know what's right or not x I think you just have to let them decide on where they feel right x So far we have had auditions at Urdang( rejection and expected as way out of her dance skills) GSA(rejection but not too worried as she didn't like it that much and high grades needed was pressuring x) Gloucester( unconditional offer for mt degree but she doesn't think it's the place for her) Arden ( she loved it here and felt she'd nailed it but sadly was offered a hnc level four in musical theatre x she will prob do this as she can get student finance for it and it has the Arden name so hopefully good) Trinity and Hammond left x Its her first yr too x a real eye opener x
Which song to sing? What to wear? Do you look right and what monologue and now for Trinity a dance routine which cost me a fortune getting a dance teacher and hiring studio for a two minute routine as dance is her weakest x just done her grade 5 ballet and started pointe lessons x
Can I ask what your thoughts were on Gloucester?
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

I originally got DD to add it as a last uni for her ucas as it looked good. It stated it was a triple threat course although performing arts and they have a London showcase so I thought it was good. The open day was good and DD liked what they seemed to offer. DD however has been twice now and hasn't enjoyed it. She asked about pointe lessons etc and was told no. That was a big down for her as she really wants to progress with her dancing. It's a real shame as she got an unconditional offer the next day so they obviously liked her x I tried to find out more info on the student room forum but sadly no replies. I think DD wants the musical theatre eg singing and dancing but has not been given that impression by teachers at the audition day. I also think the name is important to her as she wants to be on the Westend and the only alumni showing was a lady who went on to do a masters at a well named school. So the offers there but I don't feel she feels she will be happy there x

Arden was her second choice so the hnc offered at that college will probably be the one she chooses unless some miracle happens x
DGtherunner
BRIT Award

Post by DGtherunner »

Can't believe I've only just found this site. DS is in the middle of auditioning at the moment and so much good information on here.

So far he's done:

Chichester - offered a place, but hated the audition there so he doesn't want to go
Arden - offered on the BA
Arts Ed - offered Foundation and he loved it, but don't think we can afford it.

He did the regional Mountview audition last week, but we've not heard anything yet. They said 'a few days' so hoping we'll hear soon if he's got a recall or not.

GSA regional audition is on Thursday.

He's applied to new Italia Conti MT degree too, but although girls he knows have already had auditions, him and another boy he knows have heard nothing. Anyone else any experience of the auditions for this new degree?