BA / Foundation MT courses Sept 18

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

rhythmanddreams
BRIT Award

Re: BA / Foundation MT courses Sept 18

Post by rhythmanddreams »

Felicity wrote:
rhythmanddreams wrote:
Marissa wrote: Yes how did it go? Hopefully well xxx
sorry everyone! It's next saturday (3rd march) that we are there. Have just got a reply from Performers College and that audition is going to be on Sun 11th March, so another round of trains and hotels to organise and book.
Good luck again! We stayed at the Premier Inn near Bognor - twas nice, plenty of parking and a very convenient few mins drive to the campus.
Thank Felicity! We are staying at the travelodge in Chichester. A bit further away, but I have looked into buses to Bognor for the audition day and they run every 15 mins and start early. We are going through on the train.
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

Felicity wrote:
Robin64 wrote:If its a UCAS course, it would be too late to apply for this September wouldn't it? Or would UCAS extra work? That starts feb 25th i think. Otherwise it would be clearing wouldn't it?
UCAS extra would work if your child does not hold any other offers. I think you can also add courses until June if you are not at the max number of applications permitted.
Yes agree. When I had a look it said you could still add if not reached maximum number.
GDADSTAXI
BRIT Award

Post by GDADSTAXI »

Marissa wrote:We have the same Hammond audition date I think x It is very hard to know what's right or not x I think you just have to let them decide on where they feel right x So far we have had auditions at Urdang( rejection and expected as way out of her dance skills) GSA(rejection but not too worried as she didn't like it that much and high grades needed was pressuring x) Gloucester( unconditional offer for mt degree but she doesn't think it's the place for her) Arden ( she loved it here and felt she'd nailed it but sadly was offered a hnc level four in musical theatre x she will prob do this as she can get student finance for it and it has the Arden name so hopefully good) Trinity and Hammond left x Its her first yr too x a real eye opener x
Which song to sing? What to wear? Do you look right and what monologue and now for Trinity a dance routine which cost me a fortune getting a dance teacher and hiring studio for a two minute routine as dance is her weakest x just done her grade 5 ballet and started pointe lessons x
Hi Can I ask, what was it about Gloucester that DD didn't like, was it something to do with the course or didn't she get the vibe? Just for my info as Granddaughter is considering Gloucester.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

GDADSTAXI wrote:
Marissa wrote:We have the same Hammond audition date I think x It is very hard to know what's right or not x I think you just have to let them decide on where they feel right x So far we have had auditions at Urdang( rejection and expected as way out of her dance skills) GSA(rejection but not too worried as she didn't like it that much and high grades needed was pressuring x) Gloucester( unconditional offer for mt degree but she doesn't think it's the place for her) Arden ( she loved it here and felt she'd nailed it but sadly was offered a hnc level four in musical theatre x she will prob do this as she can get student finance for it and it has the Arden name so hopefully good) Trinity and Hammond left x Its her first yr too x a real eye opener x
Which song to sing? What to wear? Do you look right and what monologue and now for Trinity a dance routine which cost me a fortune getting a dance teacher and hiring studio for a two minute routine as dance is her weakest x just done her grade 5 ballet and started pointe lessons x
Hi Can I ask, what was it about Gloucester that DD didn't like, was it something to do with the course or didn't she get the vibe? Just for my info as Granddaughter is considering Gloucester.
I think it was on open day musical theatre seemed quite a small part of the course and at the interview they didn't seem to sell the dancing etc and that's something DD wants to be pushed on. Although she did say their dance floor was fab. DD is a hard worker that wants to feel like she will be pushed and she didn't feel she would be x Sometimes though they just get a feeling and that's a personal choice x what one may like another may not x Truthfully though I feel DD also wants to be in London really. Also their Alumni wasn't fab and it's not a well known name x
rhythmanddreams
BRIT Award

Hi all,

this extreme weather has thrown me into a complete panic! We are meant to be travelling down to Chichester University's Bognor Regis campus by train tomorrow for my daughter's audition on Saturday, which is a trip of just under 300 miles. The entire area down there is on an amber weather warning, and I am worried that the trains won't be running as they should. What to do? If the uni cancel the auditions, then we will lose all of our money for the hotels and train tickets (booked on non-refundable/saver rate) and to be fair am not really in a position financially both cash and work wise to attend on a different weekend. I am beginning to feel like this just isn't meant to be :cry:
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

How horrible for you xxx chin up though and call the uni first x see what their advice is x it may not be so bad there xx huge hugs. And Goodluck if you go xxx
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

I feel for you, not an easy situation to be in. We had a similar situation a number of years ago - we were snowed in but many miles away the audition town was free of snow so we missed it.

Do check with the uni for the situation there but the only other bit of advice I can give you is to keep checking on the trains. Even if you have booked a saver/non refundable advance train ticket - if the journey you are booked to go on is cancelled or severely delayed you may be able to get your money back. My DD had this a couple of years ago when the first train of 3 was delayed and the whole of her journey was refunded.
Felicity
GRAMMY Award

Post by Felicity »

rhythmanddreams wrote:Hi all,

this extreme weather has thrown me into a complete panic! We are meant to be travelling down to Chichester University's Bognor Regis campus by train tomorrow for my daughter's audition on Saturday, which is a trip of just under 300 miles. The entire area down there is on an amber weather warning, and I am worried that the trains won't be running as they should. What to do? If the uni cancel the auditions, then we will lose all of our money for the hotels and train tickets (booked on non-refundable/saver rate) and to be fair am not really in a position financially both cash and work wise to attend on a different weekend. I am beginning to feel like this just isn't meant to be :cry:
Really feel for you. DD has her GSA recall audition in Guildford this Saturday which I am meant to be driving her to. I don't know if it will be cancelled or not and when they would let us know. At the moment the motorways west of London are all fine so am hoping it will be ok.

So much more difficult in your situation if you have 100s miles to travel plus accommodation paid for. Got everything crossed for you. If the trains are cancelled then you should be able to get your money back plus the hotel might agree to transfer your booking to a rearranged date if Chichester cancel.

On a plus note I contacted Spotlight about the triple threat Chichester course and the contact hours currently meets their criteria for adult membership. She said they don't publish a list of schools mainly because the list can change but it seems they are happy to answer individual enquiries.
rhythmanddreams
BRIT Award

Thank you everybody. I spoke to the Uni, and despite them being in an amber weather warning area, they said that overall the snow hasn't been too bad. As it stands, national rail enquiries have assured me that the trains should be running tomorrow, but we can take an earlier train to Hull than the one we booked, so that if there are any seats available on an earlier London train, that they will transfer them. This is what they have been doing today apparently, to help keep the flow of passengers moving. At least if we get to Kings Cross, and then have a lengthy wait before we can go on to Chichester, it's the biggest leg of the journey done. Coming back, we only have to get from Bognor to Stevenage which is where we are breaking our journey overnight, and which has a good service from Kings Cross until 11.30pm.
I am so glad I did this now, rather than getting the last train back to Hull and staying over there. I wouldn't fancy being stranded in London at 10pm on a Saturday night if our Bognor train was delayed.

Thanks everyone for your concern, and hopefully we will make it there and back in one piece, and on time!
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

rhythmanddreams wrote:Thank you everybody. I spoke to the Uni, and despite them being in an amber weather warning area, they said that overall the snow hasn't been too bad. As it stands, national rail enquiries have assured me that the trains should be running tomorrow, but we can take an earlier train to Hull than the one we booked, so that if there are any seats available on an earlier London train, that they will transfer them. This is what they have been doing today apparently, to help keep the flow of passengers moving. At least if we get to Kings Cross, and then have a lengthy wait before we can go on to Chichester, it's the biggest leg of the journey done. Coming back, we only have to get from Bognor to Stevenage which is where we are breaking our journey overnight, and which has a good service from Kings Cross until 11.30pm.
I am so glad I did this now, rather than getting the last train back to Hull and staying over there. I wouldn't fancy being stranded in London at 10pm on a Saturday night if our Bognor train was delayed.

Thanks everyone for your concern, and hopefully we will make it there and back in one piece, and on time!
I'm glad your minds put at ease xxx Goodluck x
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

rhythmanddreams wrote:Thank you everybody. I spoke to the Uni, and despite them being in an amber weather warning area, they said that overall the snow hasn't been too bad. As it stands, national rail enquiries have assured me that the trains should be running tomorrow, but we can take an earlier train to Hull than the one we booked, so that if there are any seats available on an earlier London train, that they will transfer them. This is what they have been doing today apparently, to help keep the flow of passengers moving. At least if we get to Kings Cross, and then have a lengthy wait before we can go on to Chichester, it's the biggest leg of the journey done. Coming back, we only have to get from Bognor to Stevenage which is where we are breaking our journey overnight, and which has a good service from Kings Cross until 11.30pm.

Good luck with your journey and the audition. Take a light weight fleece blanket in your hand luggage. Good for chilly trains or getting stuck waiting at a station and you can roll them up for a pillow on the train too.
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Good luck with both the audition and the journey

Despite many train companies bring pains in the **** normally you'll probably find Southern more accommodating than normal tomorrow as they'll want to get everyone home.
Leave as early as possible and accept that any seta reservation probably won't be honoured
If going from Waterloo make use of the coffee shops, the coffee on the train is disgusting
coolcatsmomma
BRIT Award

Post by coolcatsmomma »

Good luck for the journey and the audition
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

If you get delayed at King's Cross don't forget Platform 9 and 3/4,some photo opportunities there!
Good luck with your travels.
rhythmanddreams
BRIT Award

Well we have arrived at Chichester and I am so cross!!!!

We set off from home at 8am this morning and checked all updates before we left, and got as far as London Victoria at 3.30pm. My daughter (who was glad to have some wifi) checked her emails and the Uni had emailed at 9.30am this morning to cancel the audition AFTER we had set off (but of course we didn't get it because the train we were on didn't have wifi.
I spoke to them yesterday and they assured me that the audition was going ahead, and I told them we were setting off very early today!

This left us with two choices and 20 mins to decide what to do- either risk going back to Kings Cross and asking if we could use our tickets which are for Sunday to return home, or continue with our journey & hotel stay.
So here we are in a Travelodge in Chichester, for a none-existent audition that has cost me the best part of £300 in travel and expenses, and another £400 in lost wages (I am self employed and don't have anyone else to cover me at work). The Uni have said that they will reschedule the audition, so I am assuming that I have to fork out another £300 or so for travel (which I don't have), and I absolutely CANNOT take another Saturday off work because essentially, working Saturdays pays most of my wages for the week. Also, I have some important work deadlines that I have planned and booked around these audition dates, that now cannot be cancelled.
There just isn't anyone who is able or willing to bring my daughter instead, and I am not sending her on her own on an unfamiliar journey that requires 5 different trains and a bus for something as important as an audition. It's taken us 10 hours from leaving home to arriving at the Travelodge today, just to put the journey into perspective. I am so fed up!