Best time to audition for full time training

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Mammamia
BRIT Award

Best time to audition for full time training

Post by Mammamia »

Hello everyone,
My dd is hoping to audition for full time diploma/degree courses in MT for Sept 2019.
We’re a bit confused about the best time to audition .
Am I correct in thinking that places are given out soon after auditions take place ? If that’s the case , does that mean that those who audition in the spring have less of a chance at success than someone auditioning earlier on?

Thank you
siohip
GRAMMY Award

Re: Best time to audition for full time training

Post by siohip »

love to know thoughts re this
auditon costs all mount up!
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

Mammamia wrote:Hello everyone,
My dd is hoping to audition for full time diploma/degree courses in MT for Sept 2019.
We’re a bit confused about the best time to audition .
Am I correct in thinking that places are given out soon after auditions take place ? If that’s the case , does that mean that those who audition in the spring have less of a chance at success than someone auditioning earlier on?

Thank you
Some places you have to apply before February to be considered for a Dada.
There is also a dead line with UCAS for degree courses (think around January ?)
I would say if on a foundation already then best to wait to audition until Spring as will have then had the most out of your training but make sure application in within the deadlines.
My DD did auditions in December and January.
One thing to consider is whilst it might seem reasonable to do two or three in a week as already in London they are very tiring and different colleges ask for different things eg length of song, monologue etc.. so alot to get head round when all together.
The other thing is try to avoid first week January as kids been off dance classes and probably ate too much over Christmas and not at fittest.
I would worry applying too late then yes alot of funding will have been offered out already however places like Bird that have a reserve list are offering places right up until the course starts and that is still with funding where people have gone elsewhere.
Good luck either way.
x
Mammamia
BRIT Award

Post by Mammamia »

Thanks for the replies
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

I don't think there is any time which is best to audition really. DS's college got them to audition very late (in fact DS was in the very last auditions at 2 colleges) and he still got in and he was not the only one. Some colleges hold their recalls later presumably so they can see those recalled together and make their final selection. I don't think auditioning early necessarily gives you any better chance of getting in. I am sure I have heard of some Foundation courses who prefer their students to apply later too so they clearly do not fill up their places early on.
All new to me!
Mammamia
BRIT Award

Post by Mammamia »

Ah yes, that makes sense . I had heard conflicting reports about when places were awarded so thought perhaps they were given out as they went along. A friend’s dd auditioned for Urdang this week and has received a recall for August which seems very late.
She also auditioned for Arts Ed this week and got a recall on the same day but was subsequently unsuccessful.
DGtherunner
BRIT Award

Post by DGtherunner »

DS was told to get UCAS form in for early deadline in October (same as for Oxford Cambridge) which he did. He applied for Arts Ed and Mountview at the same time. Some places send you audition dates and others give you some choice. He was sent dates for Chichester and Arden auditions and both were before Christmas, Arts Ed gave him a choice of dates, but they were all January onwards. He opted for regional first auditions for Mountview and GSA and they've been in the last two weeks. His friend who is applying for more dance based colleges applied at the same time and auditioned for Bird before Christmas with recalls in Feb but only did first audition at Urdang in Feb.

Mountview publish all their audition and recall dates on the website.

Applying early doesn't mean you'll automatically get an early audition. We've still heard nothing from Italia Conti!
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

DGtherunner wrote:
Applying early doesn't mean you'll automatically get an early audition. We've still heard nothing from Italia Conti!
Have you had an acknowledgment of your application. We had problem wit the form UEL. My DD had opted out of marketing emails in a previous year from them following a careers fair. They then claimed that that meant they couldn't email her details of her application to Italia Conti. Ridiculous! We ended up contacting Italia Conti and they said quite a few people had problems

Might be worth calling the, if you've heard nothing
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

DGtherunner wrote:DS was told to get UCAS form in for early deadline in October (same as for Oxford Cambridge) which he did. He applied for Arts Ed and Mountview at the same time. Some places send you audition dates and others give you some choice. He was sent dates for Chichester and Arden auditions and both were before Christmas, Arts Ed gave him a choice of dates, but they were all January onwards. He opted for regional first auditions for Mountview and GSA and they've been in the last two weeks. His friend who is applying for more dance based colleges applied at the same time and auditioned for Bird before Christmas with recalls in Feb but only did first audition at Urdang in Feb.

Mountview publish all their audition and recall dates on the website.

DS applied at Italia Conti at Xmas and was given an audition date for April.
DGtherunner
BRIT Award

Post by DGtherunner »

We've phoned and emailed. Since January. When his 6th form college rang they then sent their application and we paid the audition fee, but that was over a month ago and no audition date.
rhythmanddreams
BRIT Award

Post by rhythmanddreams »

My honest advice is to start really looking at schools and courses now and doing your research while you still have time!!

My DD announced that she wanted to pursue musical theatre (after 2 years set on doing an english degree) in mid Oct this year and for entry sept 2018, and by then we had missed quite a lot of open days, and it all has seemed a complete rush especially as her school wanted them to complete their UCAS forms the week before Christmas even though the deadline was mid-Jan. We had been planning on using the Christmas holidays to take a really good look and to do some planning together, and it just didnt happen due to a combination of me working weekday evenings and several weekends leading up to Christmas.
As a result she is only auditioning for two, as two of the other courses she applied for she is now having second thoughts about.
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

I would second that! Start researching as early as possible. The summer before auditioning I did a spreadsheet with all of the possible colleges, pros and con, student outcomes, showcases, cost, you name it and then we went through them one by one and she gave them a mark out of ten. We then picked her top 5 to audition at. She worked on a list of 6 songs with her singing teacher and knew every one upside down and inside out. As for the monologues, I went to a theatre bookshop and spent a happy couple of hours finding 3 monologues. Again, she practised them over the summer until she was totally confident with them, varying the way she performed them, angry, sad etc. She read the plays and found out when and where they had been performed, stuff about the authors etc. Her first audition was in the November and she was done by Feb with offers at all places. It was my job to make sure she was 100% prepared, the rest was down to her!
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

jennifer1972 wrote:I would second that! Start researching as early as possible. The summer before auditioning I did a spreadsheet with all of the possible colleges, pros and con, student outcomes, showcases, cost, you name it and then we went through them one by one and she gave them a mark out of ten. We then picked her top 5 to audition at. She worked on a list of 6 songs with her singing teacher and knew every one upside down and inside out. As for the monologues, I went to a theatre bookshop and spent a happy couple of hours finding 3 monologues. Again, she practised them over the summer until she was totally confident with them, varying the way she performed them, angry, sad etc. She read the plays and found out when and where they had been performed, stuff about the authors etc. Her first audition was in the November and she was done by Feb with offers at all places. It was my job to make sure she was 100% prepared, the rest was down to her!
Excellent advice and seems to have paid off. Hope DD gave you a big hug after all that support x
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

...and if we have to go through all this again I am following your tips!
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Robin64 wrote:...and if we have to go through all this again I am following your tips!
:lol: Fingers crossed you won't have to go through it again! People with non-performing kids have no idea how stressful it is!!