Self Teaching

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

scottishdancer00
BRIT Award

Self Teaching

Post by scottishdancer00 »

We have decided that instead of a gap year / foundation this year Dd will take up an offer of a HNC musical theatre at a local college ( many reasons why - financial but also it’s a qualification, if for whatever reason drama school never happens she will end up with a degree at the end of this course ) . However dance is her weakest subject and what she really needs to work on for audition season next year . The college only offers 3hrs a week of dance and although she will travel to a local studio and take some classes when she can she has decided she will spend the days that she doesn’t have classes ( 3 day a week course ) in the colleges dance studio by herself (£5 a month membership to be able to do this ) working on dance herself . Does anyone have any tips of what she needs to be focusing / working on to see improvements by herself . I am not a dancer at all so I can offer no advice
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Re: Self Teaching

Post by Robin64 »

My initial thoughts would be to book some one to one lessons and use the studio time to practice - might work well for tap and jazz, however I would not do this for ballet only because I think close and careful tuition for good technique is essential. Not that it isn't for the others but I think it is easier to spend a bit of personal time working through tap/jazz routines or exercises in between some lessons. But ballet is more precise and care is needed to be doing things correctly. My advice would be spend the money on fitness, either joining a gym or taking fitness type classes - maybe with a dance element. Both ideally. Being super fit will really show in auditions and be a great start to any training in future. Although my DD was slim and quite fit she says herself her BTEC didn't give enough of a physical workout. They all felt it big time when starting a foundation even. It will help fend off possible injury too by gaining fitness and an understanding of warm ups/ cool down, maintaining the body.
There are some great shorter courses in dance like the one by Ballet Cymru which they do each summer - lots of older students and working at different levels too. I would thoroughly recommend that one and it is really friendly, but there are loads more I am sure. Bird College do Easter and Summer schools for dance so that could be great as dance prep. It might be worth looking out for a local youth dance company to join or try out a new type of dance like street dance etc she could use the studio to practice moves and it would be fun too.
Keep up some ballet classes even if it is joining an adult one if she can't go to her dance school.
Your DD sounds really resourceful and positive and that is essential. Best of luck.
scottishdancer00
BRIT Award

Post by scottishdancer00 »

Robin64 wrote:My initial thoughts would be to book some one to one lessons and use the studio time to practice - might work well for tap and jazz, however I would not do this for ballet only because I think close and careful tuition for good technique is essential. Not that it isn't for the others but I think it is easier to spend a bit of personal time working through tap/jazz routines or exercises in between some lessons. But ballet is more precise and care is needed to be doing things correctly. My advice would be spend the money on fitness, either joining a gym or taking fitness type classes - maybe with a dance element. Both ideally. Being super fit will really show in auditions and be a great start to any training in future. Although my DD was slim and quite fit she says herself her BTEC didn't give enough of a physical workout. They all felt it big time when starting a foundation even. It will help fend off possible injury too by gaining fitness and an understanding of warm ups/ cool down, maintaining the body.
There are some great shorter courses in dance like the one by Ballet Cymru which they do each summer - lots of older students and working at different levels too. I would thoroughly recommend that one and it is really friendly, but there are loads more I am sure. Bird College do Easter and Summer schools for dance so that could be great as dance prep. It might be worth looking out for a local youth dance company to join or try out a new type of dance like street dance etc she could use the studio to practice moves and it would be fun too.
Keep up some ballet classes even if it is joining an adult one if she can't go to her dance school.
Your DD sounds really resourceful and positive and that is essential. Best of luck.
Thankyou for the fab advice ! Dd definitely agrees with you on the fitness - luckily the £5 covers the gym and reduced fitness classes too ( including stretching and Pilates ) I’ll have a look into the summer courses :)
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

I think it's great for your DD to be able to do this,we are often short of space to practice at home so mine would love this.
Definitely a good idea to use the gym too,we have improving stamina on a list if she ends up at a local college doing btec plus holiday workshops.