MT B A at Blackpool

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

GDADSTAXI
BRIT Award

MT B A at Blackpool

Post by GDADSTAXI »

Anybody have any views, experience of this course / college?
gingerbam
GRAMMY Award

Re: MT B A at Blackpool

Post by gingerbam »

IS this at the Fylde College?

I can ask around, I've not heard anything good or bad.
GDADSTAXI
BRIT Award

Post by GDADSTAXI »

Hi, Yes Fylde College that's the one.
Fullmoon
BRIT Award

Post by Fullmoon »

Hi! A girl from my DD’s dance school is there. I think she’ll be in her final year now? I remember at the time when she was auditioning etc her mum telling me how impressed they had been with the facilities, their correspondence, friendliness etc - and that the contact hours were very good (can’t remember exactly what she said they were) compared to many they had looked at. Saying that, I know she didn’t audition for any London / big name colleges, so not sure what she was comparing that to, but of all the places she did apply this was her first choice.
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

My DD auditioned at Blackpool at this college, she was offered her place within 24 hours of the audition. DD didn't like it and felt that there wasn't enough contact hours. The other thing that put DD off was the fact that people were auditioning who had never ever danced in their lives at all, DD thought that the standard would not be as high as she needed to accept the offer.
gingerbam
GRAMMY Award

Post by gingerbam »

I did know of 1 girl a few years back that went and she found that the dance element wasn't very hard as she had previously done ISTD ballet tap and modern passed grade 5 I will try and contact her hr experience was from a few years back.
gingerbam
GRAMMY Award

Post by gingerbam »

kzgirl wrote:My DD auditioned at Blackpool at this college, she was offered her place within 24 hours of the audition. DD didn't like it and felt that there wasn't enough contact hours. The other thing that put DD off was the fact that people were auditioning who had never ever danced in their lives at all, DD thought that the standard would not be as high as she needed to accept the offer.
This fits in with the person I know she found that she didn't progress as there were people on the course who had not danced so she left eventually. The college is very nice and is growing with a lot of investment, one to watch in the future perhaps.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

I've come across the place name twice. The first was in a programme for an Easter panto at our local theatre and they gave where the performers had trained, and one of them said The Flyde college but I'm pretty sure it also said did further training at the Poor school in London. The second time was last year in DD's school newsletter when it mentioned 2 pupils who had places on performing arts courses after finishing their GCSEs. One of them was going to Flyde college and they said they wanted to become a dance teacher.

I suppose questions to ask, what is the qualification? How is it funded? What is your DD's ultimate aim? Will she need to/does she intend to do further training after this? If she does need/want to train further is this affordable?
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

lawn wrote:I've come across the place name twice. The first was in a programme for an Easter panto at our local theatre and they gave where the performers had trained, and one of them said The Flyde college but I'm pretty sure it also said did further training at the Poor school in London. The second time was last year in DD's school newsletter when it mentioned 2 pupils who had places on performing arts courses after finishing their GCSEs. One of them was going to Flyde college and they said they wanted to become a dance teacher.

I suppose questions to ask, what is the qualification? How is it funded? What is your DD's ultimate aim? Will she need to/does she intend to do further training after this? If she does need/want to train further is this affordable?

This was one of our DD options through UCAS, they do a fully funded musical theatre degree course (3yrs).
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

kzgirl wrote:
lawn wrote:I've come across the place name twice. The first was in a programme for an Easter panto at our local theatre and they gave where the performers had trained, and one of them said The Flyde college but I'm pretty sure it also said did further training at the Poor school in London. The second time was last year in DD's school newsletter when it mentioned 2 pupils who had places on performing arts courses after finishing their GCSEs. One of them was going to Flyde college and they said they wanted to become a dance teacher.

This was one of our DD options through UCAS, they do a fully funded musical theatre degree course (3yrs).
Thank you. I don't think that's what the girl from my DD's school will have been doing, as she was only 16. DD's school doesn't have a sixth form so she can't have been any older than that.
GDADSTAXI
BRIT Award

Post by GDADSTAXI »

Thanks for the feedback all.
GDADSTAXI
BRIT Award

Post by GDADSTAXI »

Thanks for the feedback all.