Urdang Sept 2018

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

hamerg
Nominee

Urdang Sept 2018

Post by hamerg »

Hi
My DD is starting at Urdang Sept 2018, she is 16 looking for any advice/recommendations regarding accommodation we don’t really know where to start and I would be greatful for any help and to hear from anybody who also has a DD or DS starting in September. Many thanks :D
Upinlights
BRIT Award

Re: Urdang Sept 2018

Post by Upinlights »

My dd is also 16 and starting Urdang this Sept. She will be living at home but her best friend is going to be looking for accommodation too. You're welcome to dm me if you want . Is your dd doing the diploma ?
ajbew
BRIT Award

Post by ajbew »

You could look at Chester House. A few Urdang students stay there. My son is just finishing his third year at Mountview. He spent his first year in Chester House and had a great time. He made loads of friends and ended up sharing a house with three of them for the next two years. There were students there from Mountview, Urdang and London Studio Centre so he ended up with lots of performing friends from other schools too. My nephew is in his first year at Urdang and is living there this year. He is enjoying it. There is a bus that goes from practically outside the building and although it takes around 40 minutes it is a catered hall so at least they are not spending time cooking when they get back. Hope that helps.
hamerg
Nominee

Post by hamerg »

Thank you I will look into Chester House
jasmine0323
BRIT Award

Post by jasmine0323 »

hamerg wrote:Hi
My DD is starting at Urdang Sept 2018, she is 16 looking for any advice/recommendations regarding accommodation we don’t really know where to start and I would be greatful for any help and to hear from anybody who also has a DD or DS starting in September. Many thanks :D

Hi
My dd who is also 16 has an offer to start the Diploma course in Sept too which we are considering - we are looking at accommodation options but find the halls very expensive - Did you sort a room out for your dd? x
jasmine0323
BRIT Award

Post by jasmine0323 »

Hi
My dd has had an offer for the Diploma this year which we are considering - have you sorted accommodation for your dd? Is she on the Diploma? x
Barton285
BRIT Award

Post by Barton285 »

jasmine0323 wrote:
Hi
My dd has had an offer for the Diploma this year which we are considering - have you sorted accommodation for your dd? Is she on the Diploma? x
I've sent you a pm.
hamerg
Nominee

Post by hamerg »

Hi sorry as yet I haven’t received anything through
Belledancer
BRIT Award

Post by Belledancer »

My dd is going to Laine in September - I am finding the accommodation finding massively stressful !!
Barton285
BRIT Award

Post by Barton285 »

Belledancer wrote:My dd is going to Laine in September - I am finding the accommodation finding massively stressful !!
I agree hadn't realised it would be as stressful as the audition process!
Belledancer
BRIT Award

Post by Belledancer »

It is worse - I think we have finally secured a 2 bed flat today - having to go down the Estate Agent route - but they are a law unto themselves - really so unhelpful - luckily we are only an hour and a half away but still had 4 trips to Epsom for viewings!!
Fullmoon
BRIT Award

Post by Fullmoon »

Sorry, I know this isn’t Urdang related, but adding to the comments about accommodation ](*,) ](*,) can somebody explain (genuine question!) why letting agents have fees if you need a guarantor, but then say it is not their policy to let to tenants who are not in employment? I rang an agent today to try and arrange a viewing for a property. She asked if I was in full-time employment and had a household income of over £17k. I said yes. She then asked if I would be living in the property. I said, no it was for DD, but my husband and I would be standing guarantor. She said their policy didn’t allow that. I genuinely asked what the purpose of a guarantor was and what their guarantor fees covered if it wasn’t to carry out background checks etc on the person who ‘guarentees’ payment of the rent. She couldn’t explain (in a way I understood! ;) ). I asked if we could put the tenancy in my name. She said no, as that was technically sub-letting! ](*,) It really is turning out to be so stressful trying to sort this out. Any advice or explaination greatly received :D
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

Fullmoon wrote:Sorry, I know this isn’t Urdang related, but adding to the comments about accommodation ](*,) ](*,) can somebody explain (genuine question!) why letting agents have fees if you need a guarantor, but then say it is not their policy to let to tenants who are not in employment? I rang an agent today to try and arrange a viewing for a property. She asked if I was in full-time employment and had a household income of over £17k. I said yes. She then asked if I would be living in the property. I said, no it was for DD, but my husband and I would be standing guarantor. She said their policy didn’t allow that. I genuinely asked what the purpose of a guarantor was and what their guarantor fees covered if it wasn’t to carry out background checks etc on the person who ‘guarentees’ payment of the rent. She couldn’t explain (in a way I understood! ;) ). I asked if we could put the tenancy in my name. She said no, as that was technically sub-letting! ](*,) It really is turning out to be so stressful trying to sort this out. Any advice or explaination greatly received :D
Very odd. We've got three children. Two went to Uni and one is about to complete MT training. Each one has signed a lease in their own name with us as guarantors for the rent with no problem at all. It may be just a policy for a given agent who don't want the hassle of guarantors. It's actually a pain to legally enforce it. That said without it no student would ever be able to rent property. There are plenty agencies out there who will have properties where a guarantor is allowed. Best of luck.
Barton285
BRIT Award

Post by Barton285 »

Fullmoon wrote:Sorry, I know this isn’t Urdang related, but adding to the comments about accommodation ](*,) ](*,) can somebody explain (genuine question!) why letting agents have fees if you need a guarantor, but then say it is not their policy to let to tenants who are not in employment? I rang an agent today to try and arrange a viewing for a property. She asked if I was in full-time employment and had a household income of over £17k. I said yes. She then asked if I would be living in the property. I said, no it was for DD, but my husband and I would be standing guarantor. She said their policy didn’t allow that. I genuinely asked what the purpose of a guarantor was and what their guarantor fees covered if it wasn’t to carry out background checks etc on the person who ‘guarentees’ payment of the rent. She couldn’t explain (in a way I understood! ;) ). I asked if we could put the tenancy in my name. She said no, as that was technically sub-letting! ](*,) It really is turning out to be so stressful trying to sort this out. Any advice or explaination greatly received :D
I wonder if you get your DD to phone direct and see what they say as you may have not had the brightest bunny speaking to you as sounds like they have got it into their head that you are going to sub let! and start again. They may have also not grasped that it's students who will be living there.
Fullmoon
BRIT Award

Post by Fullmoon »

Thank you both. Yes, I think I might not have been dealing with the brightest bunny! Had a good chat with an agent today who said maybe it was that particular landlord that didn’t want students and that the girl may not have been explaining herself very well...who knows?! Anyway, two viewings lined up for tomorrow with agents who are fine with students / guarantors! Fingers crossed this merry go round will end tomorrow! [-o< :lol: