What to do with academic Dd?!

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

loladd33
GRAMMY Award

What to do with academic Dd?!

Post by loladd33 »

Hiya all,
My dd is in year 10 and is extremely passionate about musical theatre... but is also academically gifted. She wants to go to a performing arts school at 16, but I am concerned about her future potentially being damaged! She is predicted high grades in her GCSEs and has said that if she doesn’t go to drama school she wants to aim for Oxbridge. However what she wants right now is to do what she absolutely loves - Musical Theatre. What should I advise her to do? Follow her dreams or make the sensible choice? Has anyone’s Dc been in this situation before?
Any advice would be welcomed, feel free to PM me!
HollyMae
Nominee

Re: What to do with academic Dd?!

Post by HollyMae »

Hi there . We are in a similar situation . My DD is in year 11 and about to do GCSEs for which she is predicted high grades . She has also auditioned this year and has an offer from Bird. We are still undecided about whether she should go now or wait til 18. Having said that we are not so concerned about the lack of A levels or academic qualifications . MT is her dream so she is going to follow that in the first instance hopefully ending up with a degree in MT ( even if she does a diploma at 16 you can convert to a degree in an extra year ) If her career doesn't pan out as she hopes or is cut short or whatever there is still the chance to retrain and we'll cross that bridge when we come to it . I don't want her to have any regrets and despite knowing how hard the industry is I think she should have the chance to give it a try . The reason she is hesitating about going at 16 now is more to do with whether that is best for a career in MT . Some say you should wait especially in terms of singing and acting and although she seems ready I know it will be hard for a 16 yr old at a big college and she could be very homesick etc . A very difficult decision and I'm not sure how she's going to make it ! At the moment she is too tied up with revision to be able to think about it properly and when we do discuss it we just seem to go round and round in circles ! probably not much help to you but just wanted to share some thoughts xx
smallbythesea
BRIT Award

Post by smallbythesea »

My dd is also in year 11, academic and has been offered a place at Bird.

If her heart is in MT, as is my dds, I think she should go with that. Otherwise you/she will always be wondering what if.

At 16 my parents and careers advisor dissuaded me from my dream and I said I would never do it with my children. Life is too short.

If your dd does a degree in MT or converts from a diploma to a degree, it is still a degree to then be able to look at other paths if she should so choose.

Xx
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

I'd suggest doing A levels but also if you can find it, have her in a very good local dance/drama school so that she can do MT outside of school. Once she's taken her A levels she can decide what she wants to study. That way nothing has been ruled out and she can choose which direction at 18.

My own DD is also in yr10 and if she was academic that's the advice I would give her. Mine isn't interested in doing anything other than a performing arts course for 6th form though.
karen@nexusdsl.co.uk
Nominee

Post by karen@nexusdsl.co.uk »

Hi there I've sent you a PM
Fullmoon
BRIT Award

Post by Fullmoon »

If the private route is something you are able to consider then look at places like Abbots Bromley School. You can do Academic A levels, plus BTEC’s in Dance or Musical Theatre alongside Vocational Dance and/or Musical Theatre. They offer scholarships and bursaries and you can board full time or weekly (unless you live close enough to commute, of course).
loladd33
GRAMMY Award

Post by loladd33 »

Fullmoon wrote:If the private route is something you are able to consider then look at places like Abbots Bromley School. You can do Academic A levels, plus BTEC’s in Dance or Musical Theatre alongside Vocational Dance and/or Musical Theatre. They offer scholarships and bursaries and you can board full time or weekly (unless you live close enough to commute, of course).
Unfortunately, financially we can’t consider that at the moment even though Dd would love that! Unless, we could get a scholarship? Do you have any more info on that? X
loladd33
GRAMMY Award

Post by loladd33 »

smallbythesea wrote:My dd is also in year 11, academic and has been offered a place at Bird.

If her heart is in MT, as is my dds, I think she should go with that. Otherwise you/she will always be wondering what if.

At 16 my parents and careers advisor dissuaded me from my dream and I said I would never do it with my children. Life is too short.

If your dd does a degree in MT or converts from a diploma to a degree, it is still a degree to then be able to look at other paths if she should so choose.

Xx
Thank you for lovely honest advice x
loladd33
GRAMMY Award

Post by loladd33 »

HollyMae wrote:Hi there . We are in a similar situation . My DD is in year 11 and about to do GCSEs for which she is predicted high grades . She has also auditioned this year and has an offer from Bird. We are still undecided about whether she should go now or wait til 18. Having said that we are not so concerned about the lack of A levels or academic qualifications . MT is her dream so she is going to follow that in the first instance hopefully ending up with a degree in MT ( even if she does a diploma at 16 you can convert to a degree in an extra year ) If her career doesn't pan out as she hopes or is cut short or whatever there is still the chance to retrain and we'll cross that bridge when we come to it . I don't want her to have any regrets and despite knowing how hard the industry is I think she should have the chance to give it a try . The reason she is hesitating about going at 16 now is more to do with whether that is best for a career in MT . Some say you should wait especially in terms of singing and acting and although she seems ready I know it will be hard for a 16 yr old at a big college and she could be very homesick etc . A very difficult decision and I'm not sure how she's going to make it ! At the moment she is too tied up with revision to be able to think about it properly and when we do discuss it we just seem to go round and round in circles ! probably not much help to you but just wanted to share some thoughts xx
Thank you for your thoughts, glad we’re not the only ones!
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

In exactly the same boat with dd who is in year 9. He has chosen to audition (it’s a way off yet) for arts ed and Tring at 16 as you can do Alevels and MT. Otherwise he will continue with associate courses-Auditioning for opportunities such as YMT/NYMT and getting in as much dance as possible to be able to compete at 18! He recently sang with a load of westend performers (Les Mis/Matilda company) and they all told him to get his Alevels and of course he listened to them so my job as nagging mum has been done for me! Elmhurst also get kids to do Alevels (my nephew is going there in September at 16) as they feel it’s important for children to have all opportunities in case it doesn’t work out. I have to say as much as I want DS to pursue his dream of the stage (he’s just spent 2 weeks performing daily at the other palace and its only made him more determined) I am also only too aware of the tiny tiny chance he has of making it his profession and if he can keep all options open then great! Sorry for unhelpful waffle but I would say if she’s academic then try and keep Alevels if you can. Lots of DS’s mates are now doing MT degrees at top places having done the Alevel and fitting everything else in around them route. I know it’s hard when it’s their dream but it’s also realistically unlikely to be a reality. She says cheerfully :(
loladd33
GRAMMY Award

Post by loladd33 »

Millyweaver wrote:In exactly the same boat with dd who is in year 9. He has chosen to audition (it’s a way off yet) for arts ed and Tring at 16 as you can do Alevels and MT. Otherwise he will continue with associate courses-Auditioning for opportunities such as YMT/NYMT and getting in as much dance as possible to be able to compete at 18! He recently sang with a load of westend performers (Les Mis/Matilda company) and they all told him to get his Alevels and of course he listened to them so my job as nagging mum has been done for me! Elmhurst also get kids to do Alevels (my nephew is going there in September at 16) as they feel it’s important for children to have all opportunities in case it doesn’t work out. I have to say as much as I want DS to pursue his dream of the stage (he’s just spent 2 weeks performing daily at the other palace and its only made him more determined) I am also only too aware of the tiny tiny chance he has of making it his profession and if he can keep all options open then great! Sorry for unhelpful waffle but I would say if she’s academic then try and keep Alevels if you can. Lots of DS’s mates are now doing MT degrees at top places having done the Alevel and fitting everything else in around them route. I know it’s hard when it’s their dream but it’s also realistically unlikely to be a reality. She says cheerfully :(
Thank you so much for your thoughts I really appreciate it! Good luck to your ds
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

It's an interesting dilemma. For me the initial question is maybe not A levels or straight to PA college at 16. Perhaps the question should be "What's the hurry?" You can do A levels, then go to PA college at 18. Then if the whole PA route doesn't work you can still do a degree as A levels are valid for Uni entry for 5 years. Also remember that you can't get onto a BA course without A levels if I'm not mistaken, so it's DaDa, scholarship or no funding. And DaaDa is not guaranteed. Also IMHO I think you're more likely to get into the "dance colleges" at 16 than the MT ones.
loladd33
GRAMMY Award

Post by loladd33 »

lbm1e14 wrote:It's an interesting dilemma. For me the initial question is maybe not A levels or straight to PA college at 16. Perhaps the question should be "What's the hurry?" You can do A levels, then go to PA college at 18. Then if the whole PA route doesn't work you can still do a degree as A levels are valid for Uni entry for 5 years. Also remember that you can't get onto a BA course without A levels if I'm not mistaken, so it's DaDa, scholarship or no funding. And DaaDa is not guaranteed. Also IMHO I think you're more likely to get into the "dance colleges" at 16 than the MT ones.
Thank you very much, that’s just what I’ve been thinking!
Barton285
BRIT Award

Post by Barton285 »

We were in that position a couple of years ago. In the end we thought you can do A levels at any age and youngsters these days will be working most likely a lot longer than previous generations and will most likely have career changes during this time where as dance in particular is a young persons game and went down that way with no regrets. Good luck with whatever you all decide.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

loladd33 wrote:Hiya all,
My dd is in year 10 and is extremely passionate about musical theatre... but is also academically gifted. She wants to go to a performing arts school at 16, but I am concerned about her future potentially being damaged! She is predicted high grades in her GCSEs and has said that if she doesn’t go to drama school she wants to aim for Oxbridge. However what she wants right now is to do what she absolutely loves - Musical Theatre. What should I advise her to do? Follow her dreams or make the sensible choice? Has anyone’s Dc been in this situation before?
Any advice would be welcomed, feel free to PM me!
Not sure if it is that make or break as many people audition at 18 so she can still follow her dream and get the exams. I would be considering - what A levels does she want to do? what is her dance school like? is she taking grades? does she have opportunities to perform locally? what aspect of MT is she strongest in? I agree with previous poster that dance would be the one that most suits a younger application. If she loves acting the most then Oxbridge has well known routes through footlights etc into performing professionally so she could do both. Plus good grades give her a shot at GSA. If she is thinking of doing dance, drama A levels then she could just as easily go to a diploma and top up to a degree later if she wants.