What to do with academic Dd?!

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Re: What to do with academic Dd?!

Post by Caroline A-C »

My ds didn't go to a performing arts school prior to going to Arts Ed to do the MT BA. He was a member of a performing arts group once a week and took up ballet about six months prior to auditioning so going to a performing arts school/college at 16 is not a necessity. My dd went to Tring Park and was very academic and gained brilliant grades in her GCSE's. She has since decided that she wants to go down the medical route now and can do that due to the grades she has gained. Had she decided to stay at Tring for sixth form she would have been able to take the academic A levels required. At the end of the day it really is a personal choice. Both Tring and Arts have a good academic reputation but going to these schools is no guarantee of getting into the BA courses. Ds has since trained as a personal trainer so he can work in-between performing jobs which has been a lifesaver. I think that by doing the A levels you perhaps keep all options open but that is my personal opinion.
All new to me!
DGtherunner
BRIT Award

Post by DGtherunner »

My son decided after GCSEs that he was giving up all the dance and musical theatre to do science A-levels. After the first year he had crashed and burned at the school sixth form where he was. He then went to the local 6th form college which has an excellent PA dept. He carried on 2 A-levels, but picked up the MT B-Tech as one year was equivalent to one A-level. He loved it so much that he ended up staying for a third year to do the extended MT B-Tech and this year has had offers for MT from everywhere he applied (some at Foundation level and some at degree level).

My daughter has always danced, but also plumped for academic A-levels. She's in Y12 at the moment. The dance school show in November will be her last as she is quitting dancing because the A-level workload is so high she is struggling to juggle everything at the high levels she's working at. Her heart is set on top universities now.

I think the answer is you have to go with your gut, but be aware how tough doing musical theatre outside of A-levels is, especially as most 6th forms push their high achievers with lots of extra classes and coaching to get them into top universitites.

Also know that it is never too late to change your mind, no matter what teachers at any school might tell you.
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

All very good advice - however most PA courses with A level combinations are with private institutions and are very costly (Arts Ed/Tring etc). We are in exactly the same position with dd (14) in Year 10. We have to decide either/or - school is pure A levels and colleges just BTECs, Brit School is funded and you can keep A level options I believe alongside MT - but we are not in the catchment. Maybe you are?
We are going to see how keen dd still is in the Autumn term once in Year 11 and give her the chance to audition at a couple of places (Emildale, Urdang 6th form) where she can get two or three A level equivalents. She did an Easter course at Arts Ed and was told none of their 6th formers got onto their degree course so who knows where these courses lead. I think the main issue is with dance and finding a high enough local or BTEC provision to be at the required standard at 18. So many young people wait now and the advice out there is definitely to wait before embarking on the three year MT training - but I know our own dd does not want to be "sitting all day" when her contemporaries may be dancing the day away in their 6th form equivalent places! She feels she will be left behind despite a super local dance school and excellent MT troupe she performs with. And there is also the issue as previously mentioned juggling huge workloads at school and constant evenings and weekends doing MT/Dance.
Just to add - we know an 18 year old who dropped out of her academic 6th form at Christmas. Her heart was not in her subjects (despite excellent GCSE results) and she was getting v stressed to the point of not wanting to go to school - she just wants to perform. I know her parents now regret the decisions made two years ago "to keep her options open" and have no idea what is going to happen now. Definitely food for thought.
loladd33
GRAMMY Award

Post by loladd33 »

amo185 wrote:All very good advice - however most PA courses with A level combinations are with private institutions and are very costly (Arts Ed/Tring etc). We are in exactly the same position with dd (14) in Year 10. We have to decide either/or - school is pure A levels and colleges just BTECs, Brit School is funded and you can keep A level options I believe alongside MT - but we are not in the catchment. Maybe you are?
We are going to see how keen dd still is in the Autumn term once in Year 11 and give her the chance to audition at a couple of places (Emildale, Urdang 6th form) where she can get two or three A level equivalents. She did an Easter course at Arts Ed and was told none of their 6th formers got onto their degree course so who knows where these courses lead. I think the main issue is with dance and finding a high enough local or BTEC provision to be at the required standard at 18. So many young people wait now and the advice out there is definitely to wait before embarking on the three year MT training - but I know our own dd does not want to be "sitting all day" when her contemporaries may be dancing the day away in their 6th form equivalent places! She feels she will be left behind despite a super local dance school and excellent MT troupe she performs with. And there is also the issue as previously mentioned juggling huge workloads at school and constant evenings and weekends doing MT/Dance.
Just to add - we know an 18 year old who dropped out of her academic 6th form at Christmas. Her heart was not in her subjects (despite excellent GCSE results) and she was getting v stressed to the point of not wanting to go to school - she just wants to perform. I know her parents now regret the decisions made two years ago "to keep her options open" and have no idea what is going to happen now. Definitely food for thought.
Thank you very much - certainly food for thought! Good luck to your dd. X
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

I'd never heard of Abbots Bromley before-looks interesting (and costly) has anyone got any experience? Looks like they've only just started accepting boys in sixth form?
loladd33
GRAMMY Award

Post by loladd33 »

Millyweaver wrote:I'd never heard of Abbots Bromley before-looks interesting (and costly) has anyone got any experience? Looks like they've only just started accepting boys in sixth form?
Yeah it used to be an all girls school x
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

In same boat here. Very academic 16 year old DD. Hoping to do A levels and then apply for diploma /degree at 18.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Dd auditioned for & was offered a Musical Theatre scholarship at Abbott’s Bromley School. However the amount of the scholarship alone was not enough for us. They did say to enquire about bursaries but she was offered a DaDA at Hammond where she will combine A levels & a Diploma.
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

Same position here-DD predicted to get 8's and 9's in GCSE's but her dream is to dance and perform so as she has offers she is going at 16. If it doesn't work out in the future she can do further qualifications but as you only live once we are letting her follow her dream. I am in fact very excited for her future, without the A levels!!.
loladd33
GRAMMY Award

Post by loladd33 »

lyndahill wrote:Same position here-DD predicted to get 8's and 9's in GCSE's but her dream is to dance and perform so as she has offers she is going at 16. If it doesn't work out in the future she can do further qualifications but as you only live once we are letting her follow her dream. I am in fact very excited for her future, without the A levels!!.
Thank you for the reassurance!
JustaPhase
BRIT Award

Post by JustaPhase »

Our very academic DD joined Tring Park for sixth form. Whereas previously she was at school all day then performing in the evening and weekends, she now condenses 3 academic A levels into the morning and has vocational studies all afternoon. It’s long days, but everyone is doing the same so she feels less isolated than she did at home.

Also, do check out the scholarship, bursary and DaDa provisions available at the private schools. It can be more affordable than you fear!
loladd33
GRAMMY Award

Post by loladd33 »

JustaPhase wrote:Our very academic DD joined Tring Park for sixth form. Whereas previously she was at school all day then performing in the evening and weekends, she now condenses 3 academic A levels into the morning and has vocational studies all afternoon. It’s long days, but everyone is doing the same so she feels less isolated than she did at home.

Also, do check out the scholarship, bursary and DaDa provisions available at the private schools. It can be more affordable than you fear!
Thank you so much!