Times article - MT degree fees challenge

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Re: Times article - MT degree fees challenge

Post by Scarytimes »

Munchpot wrote:
Scarytimes wrote: We are middle income too (though between us earn towards the top of their scale) so a DaDA may not give enough for DS to go to Laine even if he is awarded with one! If we had one child then our income would be enough for mortgage, living expenses and top up - but we have three children, all needing their slice of our income...
And that's the most annoying thing about Household income - it doesn't take into account expenditure or the number of children you have.

For example a household income of £70k with one child would leave you in a very different position than a household income of £70k with 3 children all wanting to pursue Perf Arts training!
Quite! No account of where you live either - money goes further in some places, house prices vary dramatically, wages for the same kind of jobs too. I'm sure it looks like we earn a fortune, but in reality we have just about managed to save enough to put each child through uni with "normal" levels of maintenance top up required - and I thought I had done really well and they were covered for educational needs. We don't have foreign holidays, we don't have expensive cars or a massive house. Sigh! ](*,)

Gosh I'm grumpy today. Nearly the weekend...
DGtherunner
BRIT Award

Post by DGtherunner »

Scarytimes wrote:Quite! No account of where you live either - money goes further in some places, house prices vary dramatically, wages for the same kind of jobs too. I'm sure it looks like we earn a fortune, but in reality we have just about managed to save enough to put each child through uni with "normal" levels of maintenance top up required - and I thought I had done really well and they were covered for educational needs. We don't have foreign holidays, we don't have expensive cars or a massive house. Sigh!

Gosh I'm grumpy today. Nearly the weekend...
We are exactly the same. 3 children, thankfully only one wanting a performing arts career, but another off to uni in 2019. I think I've made it worse by just going back to work full time, so although our income now looks quite good, we've not had 20 years of double income to save up for uni fees. Without a loan funded course we couldn't begin to afford a degree in London. We've had to turn down Foundation at Arts Ed and GSA purely because to fund that first and then 3 years of degree and London living is impossible when we have other children to consider, especially as if he did get onto the degree at Arts Ed we almost certainly couldn't afford to top up the fees, even with the little bit of DaDa he might get (even if he got one). So much talent must be lost at age 18 because they can't afford the training. It's good to rant sometimes!
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

amo185 wrote:And in addition DADAs are based on your income during the previous financial year, not the current one and you may be in a very different situation now. Also, In our case child benefit tipped us into the next category so we had to pay more. Had we known, we would not have claimed child benefit that year!
The whole funding of the arts is a mess and it seems that the industry is becoming more and more the preserve of the affluent rather than the talented. I am not sure though whether it can change for the better. Just keep crossing those fingers for funding or suitable student loans for our hardworking children.
That's interesting. Does child benefit count as household income too? For years, we've had to pay most of it back, but last year husband's company car means we pay back the whole lot. He's changed to a cheaper car this year and my eldest is off to Uni hopefully, so there may be no point in claiming anyway.

I agree with the comments about the Dada and middle incomes. Fine if your DC can live at home and it's mostly the course fees you're looking to fund, or there's a very convenient family member living nearby they can lodge with, but when you have to fund living costs on top, it means it just isn't affordable for many.
DGtherunner
BRIT Award

Post by DGtherunner »

Not 100% sure about DaDas, but Student Loans are just taxable income so child benefit isn't included.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Dancersinger wrote:I think it is extra money but I'm not totally sure. The article doesn't make it clear but the words extra funding were used.

We are a middle income family in the £60-65k category and I am personally very happy that dd will be getting a DaDa. Back when I was at 6th form, families like ours could not afford to send their children to drama schools. I know someone who had to turn down a place at Rada. Without a Dada there is no way we could afford fees of £12-14K per year.
Three kids, one already at uni with not enough loan to cover rent (or anything else) one going to uni in 18 months and 3rd trying for MT. Dada for us would not give any living expenses and we would have to top up the fees. Just can't do it so middle DD hasn't been able to try for any diploma courses or any degrees over the £9250. That really narrows the choice and makes it tough on her. The system doesn't really work that fairly. As people have said it depends on the family situation. For HB it asks about her income because she is over 18 but DaDa is family income. It shouldn't be so inconsistent.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

DGtherunner wrote:Not 100% sure about DaDas, but Student Loans are just taxable income so child benefit isn't included.
No, I know it isn't for student loans. We applied for finance for DS only last weekend for him to go to Uni, thankfully he wants to do a computer course, which seems a lot easier.
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Robin64 wrote:
Dancersinger wrote:I think it is extra money but I'm not totally sure. The article doesn't make it clear but the words extra funding were used.

We are a middle income family in the £60-65k category and I am personally very happy that dd will be getting a DaDa. Back when I was at 6th form, families like ours could not afford to send their children to drama schools. I know someone who had to turn down a place at Rada. Without a Dada there is no way we could afford fees of £12-14K per year.
Three kids, one already at uni with not enough loan to cover rent (or anything else) one going to uni in 18 months and 3rd trying for MT. Dada for us would not give any living expenses and we would have to top up the fees. Just can't do it so middle DD hasn't been able to try for any diploma courses or any degrees over the £9250. That really narrows the choice and makes it tough on her. The system doesn't really work that fairly. As people have said it depends on the family situation. For HB it asks about her income because she is over 18 but DaDa is family income. It shouldn't be so inconsistent.
Ouch. That is really tough for you.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Thanks. I realise we have been in a better position than some people in that we have paid for a foundation this year but that just makes it less easy to take on big top ups or living expenses. I am just sad for DD - she is a real worker - worked hard for a triple distinction star in MT, worked in a job all summer to pay her food & expenses all year, has worked her butt off on her foundation and gets really good feedback. Has got to recalls at auditions but no firm offer yet. It's just agonising. I feel sick with worry she won't get something. I wish she had the option of trying some of the other colleges but it's pointless when I know we cant take on that extra financial strain next year. I know she will bounce back and try again but you all know how us parents feel it.
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

Robin64 wrote:Thanks. I realise we have been in a better position than some people in that we have paid for a foundation this year but that just makes it less easy to take on big top ups or living expenses. I am just sad for DD - she is a real worker - worked hard for a triple distinction star in MT, worked in a job all summer to pay her food & expenses all year, has worked her butt off on her foundation and gets really good feedback. Has got to recalls at auditions but no firm offer yet. It's just agonising. I feel sick with worry she won't get something. I wish she had the option of trying some of the other colleges but it's pointless when I know we cant take on that extra financial strain next year. I know she will bounce back and try again but you all know how us parents feel it.
I really feel for you Robin64. It really is so difficult but your dd sounds amazing and such a hard worker. I bet she gets an offer soon. Sending you and your dd lots of love and hugs xxx
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Thanks Beanie, I appreciate the nice message x one audition and one recall left so crossing fingers.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Robin64 wrote:Thanks Beanie, I appreciate the nice message x one audition and one recall left so crossing fingers.
Everything crossed x
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

For our son's DADA a while back we had to quote all of our family income including child benefit. It may have changed so worth checking new rules.
Good luck to those still waiting on firm affordable offers.