After graduation....

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

After graduation....

Post by lbm1e14 »

https://www.thestage.co.uk/advice/2018/ ... ed-actors/

A useful insight into agents, with the usual quips included.
jaybeeyellow
GRAMMY Award

Re: After graduation....

Post by jaybeeyellow »

Personally, I would feel pretty disappointed if my son/daughter left a Drama school without representation.
I do know that there are students who have left the likes of East 15, and Central in the past year without securing agents.
ARts Ed and GSA students seem to have more success in being taken on by agents.
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

jaybeeyellow wrote:Personally, I would feel pretty disappointed if my son/daughter left a Drama school without representation.
I do know that there are students who have left the likes of East 15, and Central in the past year without securing agents.
ARts Ed and GSA students seem to have more success in being taken on by agents.
I would agree. The challenge is that there are larger and larger graduating year groups from some colleges and just not enough agents. Graduates take a lot of work to manage so good agents limit the number they take.

Some colleges will say they have 100% agent success but that is because if students don't get an external one they get picked up by the college in-house agency. That in itself is fine, but not sure how long they keep them for - seem to recall a year being mentioned - and how many go on to get external agents, and how much work they find for them in that year.
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

DS didn't have a problem getting an agent but found it a minefield to decide which agency to go with. There were boutique agencies, agencies with big names (obviously he wouldn't be one of them ) agents with lots of clients, some with fewer , some that represented children as well. In the end he went with the agent that seemed to understand what work he would be best suited to. I guess time will tell. It's a scary time that's for sure.
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

oscar wrote:DS didn't have a problem getting an agent but found it a minefield to decide which agency to go with. There were boutique agencies, agencies with big names (obviously he wouldn't be one of them ) agents with lots of clients, some with fewer , some that represented children as well. In the end he went with the agent that seemed to understand what work he would be best suited to. I guess time will tell. It's a scary time that's for sure.
DD was lucky enough to have a choice and I agree it's difficult although a nice problem to have. I agree that on balance it's better to go with the best fit, but it has to be said that not all agents can get you into every room. It is true that there are so many different type of asgent out there. Another scenario is that they've been part of a larger agency and break away and set up on their own.
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

AT the other end of the scale DD is having problems finding an agent

She doesn't 'fit' bacause alongside her more traditional stuff (Ballet. Commercail, Tap, Contemporary and Jazz) she has the Ballroom. Latin, Salsa and African - all of which she has done for twice as long as the others & that's before you add in the fact she only looks 15 and that she is mixed race.

MT agents don't really 'recognise' those styles of dance but there is plenty of work out there - finding it and submitting can be an issue

But she is still positive
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

Agents love mixed race representation.Has she got a video reel ?

It is difficult to know which agents will get you in the room. In the end the school basically gave him a nod in the direction they thought was the best fit . Fingers crossed ..
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Katymac wrote:AT the other end of the scale DD is having problems finding an agent

She doesn't 'fit' bacause alongside her more traditional stuff (Ballet. Commercail, Tap, Contemporary and Jazz) she has the Ballroom. Latin, Salsa and African - all of which she has done for twice as long as the others & that's before you add in the fact she only looks 15 and that she is mixed race.

MT agents don't really 'recognise' those styles of dance but there is plenty of work out there - finding it and submitting can be an issue

But she is still positive
Dd has an agent Mark Jermin x They were after representing mixed race girls and apparently they are a very good agency x Not sure how big they are in London though x
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

oscar wrote:DS didn't have a problem getting an agent but found it a minefield to decide which agency to go with. There were boutique agencies, agencies with big names (obviously he wouldn't be one of them ) agents with lots of clients, some with fewer , some that represented children as well. In the end he went with the agent that seemed to understand what work he would be best suited to. I guess time will tell. It's a scary time that's for sure.
I was looking at list of agents that had signed up graduates at the school my DS is going to, but how can you tell which ones are good save going to each one and see if they have represented anyone successful. I googled top agents, but results didn't throw up much...?
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

lbm1e14 wrote:https://www.thestage.co.uk/advice/2018/ ... ed-actors/

A useful insight into agents, with the usual quips included.
Thank you for sharing, interesting to know.
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

Would being mixed-race be a problem?
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

Live_thedream wrote:Would being mixed-race be a problem?
Completely the opposite ! Agents were very keen to sign non-white students. Shows such as Lion King , Miss Saigon, Hamilton etc are current and colourblind casting is the norm for all shows now. DS says that being white British is a disadvantage .
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

oscar wrote:
Live_thedream wrote:Would being mixed-race be a problem?
Completely the opposite ! Agents were very keen to sign non-white students. Shows such as Lion King , Miss Saigon, Hamilton etc are current and colourblind casting is the norm for all shows now. DS says that being white British is a disadvantage .
Yes true - actually now thinking about it, when DS went for Mountview audition, on his day I saw 3 out of 6 boys who were of colour. My DS has Indian heritage, not common - will have to see how it works out.
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

I don't think it's necessarily a problem - rather just that colour-blind casting is fine in principal but sometimes unconscious bias can occur.

Who knows - she might find an agent this week, she might find the right audition and get a job :D (fingers crossed)
Mummyaud
BRIT Award

Post by Mummyaud »

Hi, I appreciate it's subjective but I would be interested to know for graduates which agents people feel are considered the best for MT? Are there some that are particularly sought after? Do they usually get guidance from their college if they get multiple offers?

Thanks.