After graduation....

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Re: After graduation....

Post by jasmine2 »

You don't necessarily need an agent straight away. My dd does have an agent but she has found work on her own too and hasn't stopped working since graduating last year..she is currently rehearsing for a comedy play and then got the script yesterday for her next play...and has secured both kids panto and adult panto for Christmas....good luck to all .. it is a tough business but anything is possible xx
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

We're on holiday in Spain after watching DD graduate on Sunday just gone and I'm reading the posts about new starters for Sep-18, and applying for Sep-19. It made me think that there are four phases to what our DCs Go through. Three are stressful for them and us, and one is in the main fun/stressful for them but stress free for us (finances excluded!). Clearly getting in to colleges is stressful all round. The actual training is probably in the main the least stressful period for everyone. Probably around 6 months from the end of training the stress comes back as the time comes to finalise the rep folder, think about showcases, headshots and getting an agent. Then for most of our DCs there is what DDs college calls funemployment. Even once they have the agent, the headshots and the showreel, the reality is that there is no guarantee of work. All we can do is keep their head in the game, hope they get auditions, and from those get some work. The competition is fierce.

Good luck to everyone wherever you are on the journey.
Pearl
GRAMMY Award

Post by Pearl »

Couldn’t agree more!
And how quickly those three years pass!
You do sit back and relax for a few years and then suddenly year 3 is suddenly upon you!
But the delight when your dd bags her first job is overwhelming!
After graduating from Urdang in June dd is currently living the dream in Miami! Rehearsing for Cats for Royal Caribean Cruises :D
It was worth all the stress!
Bring it on!!!
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

Pearl - is your dd going onto Oasis? My ds was Rum Tum Tugger in the first cast of Cats back in 2014 on Oasis and had a ball. Who is she playing?
All new to me!
Pearl
GRAMMY Award

Post by Pearl »

Yes she is!!
She’s Victoria, first job out of college and her dream show!!
We are going out in December \:D/
Bring it on!!!
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

It was dd's first job out of college too! When does she board the ship? I think it is an amazing job - being paid to do what you love whilst getting to see some great parts of the world. The ship is enormous by the way and even after a week I was still getting lost!! Have a fantastic trip.
All new to me!
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

I meant ds not dd!!
All new to me!
Pearl
GRAMMY Award

Post by Pearl »

She’s got another 3 weeks rehearsal and then boards
Looking forward to seeing her perform, might have to watch a few times ;)
Thanks x
Bring it on!!!
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

Pearl wrote:Couldn’t agree more!
And how quickly those three years pass!
You do sit back and relax for a few years and then suddenly year 3 is suddenly upon you!
But the delight when your dd bags her first job is overwhelming!
After graduating from Urdang in June dd is currently living the dream in Miami! Rehearsing for Cats for Royal Caribean Cruises :D
It was worth all the stress!
Well done to your DD! Our DD auditioned for that too but wasn't successful. She's a great dancer but it's not her number one skill and Cats takes amazing ballet and commercial ability.
acsbj14
Nominee

Post by acsbj14 »

My daughter has recently graduated from LSC summer 2018. One of the reasons she picked LSC is they had an agents week towards the end of their third year. She auditioned for approx 20 agents over the course of a week. She had approx 8 -9 offers of representation. She is now in her first job in Matilda on the west end. It’s defo worth investigating when choosing places to train.
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

acsbj14 wrote:My daughter has recently graduated from LSC summer 2018. One of the reasons she picked LSC is they had an agents week towards the end of their third year. She auditioned for approx 20 agents over the course of a week. She had approx 8 -9 offers of representation. She is now in her first job in Matilda on the west end. It’s defo worth investigating when choosing places to train.
Couldn't agree more. Our DD saw around 30 agents in 1-2-1s over a two week period as well as doing 5 showcases over a 4 day period just before the two week agent 1-2-1s.
WildFrontier1
Nominee

Post by WildFrontier1 »

Hello

My DD was offered places at several dance schools and decided she wasn’t quite ready for London life, so went with a school outside of London. She is enjoying the school and would come out with a degree in 3 years. However, she now feels more confident about living away from home and is wondering whether to re-apply to some of the London schools (where she previously turned down s place). What I would be interested in knowing is the advantage a London School gives you (London Studio Centre) over a school that is smaller. Should she stay where she is or go (if she were offered a place)? Thank you.