GSA Musical Theatre - info needed!

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Re: GSA Musical Theatre - info needed!

Post by jennifer1972 »

bop2thetop wrote:My DD graduated from GSA last year and there were 38 in her year. And yes as others have said it is long hours and an intensive course as you would expect from a drama school.
What type of work has she been doing since then? Great to hear stories from the other end! :D
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

bop2thetop wrote:My DD graduated from GSA last year and there were 38 in her year. And yes as others have said it is long hours and an intensive course as you would expect from a drama school.
Thanks for joining in. I have Pm'd you.
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

After failing to find info from the website on what a typical day is like, I emailed and got lots of useful info back from the course director. Thought I would post it here to help others.

This is a triple threat course. It uses technical classes in each discipline to teach skills and projects to combine the skills in a practical environment, building the integrated performer who is able to equally dance, sing and act.

GSA teaching days run between 9am and 6 – 7pm. There is a technical dance class everyday (2 hours). In addition during there are speech, voice, context, singing, acting classes. In the afternoon there are project classes that combine the skills taught in the technical classes, so dance is often a part of those. Technical classes are in 2 or 3 hour sessions and project rehearsals are 3 or 4 hours sessions.

Extra-curricular evening dance classes are taken by most Musical Theatre students. They are streamed according to the take-up and the students, and they are taught by many of the same faculty and some additional staff, so they are completely designed to complement the curricular classes. In addition there are classes in disciplines such as Acrobatics.

Students from the five programmes: Foundation Musical Theatre, BA Musical Theatre, BA Actor Musician, MA and MFA Musical Theatre (~100 per year) are all streamed separately in ballet, jazz and tap, giving 6 or 7 classes (of about 15 students).

All 2017 graduates have agents, approximately half already have jobs including in the West End, major roles in national tours and a range of other work. From October 2019 they are adding an extra three weeks to the summer semester.