Seeds of doubt now

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Re: Seeds of doubt now

Post by islandofsodor »

icantdance wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:59 pm Goodness, I've only just seen this thread. What a horrible thing to do!! You know, there are lots of factors which influence a person's success, including how good they are, their own self-belief but also who you know and a bit of luck thrown in for good measure. Wasn't it the Emil Dale end of year show where the new 'Joseph' was discovered??
No, Jac Yarrow was at Arts Ed. The Joseph producers saw him play Jack Kelly in Newsies there.
Dodger'smum
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dodger'smum »

icantdance wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:59 pm Goodness, I've only just seen this thread. What a horrible thing to do!! You know, there are lots of factors which influence a person's success, including how good they are, their own self-belief but also who you know and a bit of luck thrown in for good measure. Wasn't it the Emil Dale end of year show where the new 'Joseph' was discovered??

My DS is very academic, has just finished GCSEs and will get mostly 8s and 9s but he wants to perform and he's been lucky enough to get DaDA funding for Bird, so that's what he's going to do. You don't have to take qualifications in a linear way, he can do A levels when he's older if he wants to. I did A level law for fun when I was 26, and now, at the age of 56 I'm 2 years into a PhD (not sure why, but there you go!) My ex headmistress only last month said she always believed everybody should go to university, but now she realises how wrong she was!!

Watch Billy Elliot. It's the letter from his mum that changed my mind about everything and if I could give your DS one piece of advice from that and life - it's to always be true to yourself!!!

I wish him all the best and all the success that life can bring
Thank you so much everyone for the kind words and encouragement. I can't believe how much the text affected and really hurt me. To this day, after all this time, I still don't say anything anymore about my DCs. My heart swells when I hear other parents talk about their pride or I read their posts on social media about how they feel / how special their kids are / what they've achieved etc etc, I genuinely love it. But I can't do it. I feel like the ex-friend is still keeping tabs on us all the time as the text mentioned so many things that had been in the paper & my twitter from years back. Rightly or wrongly, I keep a VERY closed book now and pray our DCs' paths never cross.

The fabulous new Joseph was indeed from Arts Ed, but the recipient of the new scholarship in his name (and a £100,000 cheque I've heard!) goes to a local lad with whom DS has worked many times in the past. It really couldn't have happened to a nicer or more hard working young lad, he's lovely.

Enjoy your weekend everyone, and thank you again :lol:
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

Isn't it a Tring Park boy that won the scholarship - fantastic opportunity for the lucky lad. Well done to him.
All new to me!
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

Yes, recipient was a Tring lad (Jac Yarrow was also a Tring lad prior to Arts Ed).
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

Harry2003 - my DD said she recognised him. Clearly from her school days!
All new to me!
mariapanayi
BRIT Award

Post by mariapanayi »

Have you spoken to them about what units they cover as part of the qualification - as this will give you a good indication of their two year training plan, and the study areas to ensure it is right for your son.

My daughter completed a Level Three Extended Diploma (2 year course) at Bodens College of Performing Arts, then a Level Four Associate Diploma (their Gap Year Course for 18 year olds) AND their three-week summer course in the summer holidays.... ALL OF THESE COURSES WERE FULLY FUNDED! No fees to pay whatsoever!!!

We spoke to them about their course plan and completely made us feel at ease with our decision, so this might help?

(And if you do want to find a college that provides a ridiculously high level of training, small class sizes, consistent teaching staff, that's completely free, and full-time, I really would recommend Bodens!!! Lol!)