Seeds of doubt now

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Re: Seeds of doubt now

Post by Marissa »

Caroline A-C wrote:My ds didn't do A levels and went straight to Arts Ed to do the MT BA. He has been in work a lot of the time since (although there have been jobless times). He is currently in Heathers The Musical (not ensemble) and has actually never been ensemble so it is not true for your friend to say that. Once he finishes that he is going straight into filming which is not MT so MT not being taken seriously by the straight acting bunch is also not true. I have a friend whose son went to Bristol Old Vic and he has more trouble finding work as he is completely limited to straight acting. I do believe that if you put in the effort you will reap the rewards. It is also down to the client to get their agent to push for what they want. Obviously if you have done MT your agent is going to push you down that route. Ds said that a he wanted to branch out and that is exactly what his agent has helped him with. There is a lot of jealousy in this world and I really think you have to ignore things to a point and go with what you feel is right for your child.
Wow Heathers! That's amazing x tried to get tickets but they are totally sold out x it certainly didn't do your son any harm!! You must be very proud x
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Post by missmoneypenny »

Ooh Caroline A-C we saw Heathers on Tuesday and it was amazing!! Loved it - who does your son play? x
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

He plays Ram.
All new to me!
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

Oooooo Caroline A-C we 're going on Wednesday to see Heathers as DS has been desperate to see it-will look out for him! He's 14 and desperately wants to go to Arts Ed in the future so will be very inspirational for him too!
Looking forward to it! :D
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

Caroline A-C wrote:He plays Ram.
Well you must be a super proud Mum! He was amazing! What a show. The standard of singing was mind blowing! We were there the night the transfer was announced-I hope he goes with it-we booked tickets there and then!
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

It is a fab show. I believe the ticket system crashed again once the transfer announcement was made - tickets are selling fast which is great news for the cast.
All new to me!
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

Yup-we managed to use the Ticketmaster app there and then which was fine and so have front row tickets! We were back row at the other palace which was still great but we're treating ourselves next time! Well done Heathers cast!
Starstruck39
BRIT Award

Post by Starstruck39 »

Hi seeds of doubt.. how is your son getting on? My ds auditioned 5 days ago .. absolutely loved it there . His audition went well followed by a great interview with Emil. We are waiting to hear!!! He will also be moving away from home at 16 and also very academic . He has been offered a place at Tring for the acting course and 3 A levels so should we get offered a place at Emil dale we have a difficult decision to make. Also going for arts ed in February. How long before you heard he had a place ? Also was it easy to find a host family?
Dodger'smum
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dodger'smum »

Hello Starstruck39, and happy exciting new year to your ds who sounds amazing! Wow, what a lovely decision to have to make :)

Finding a host family basically comes down to EDA forwarding you an email address and you taking it from there to do your own introductions, visiting, due diligence, contracting etc etc. We struck lucky on about our fourth contact and it's £90 Sunday night to Friday morning but without cooking or laundry. A lovely big room and a kind landlady who works long hours and employs a cleaner. The location is also very important - try to stay in Hitchin, and the right side of Hitchin for Wilbury Way, it will make a huge difference in the darker months especially if he's just a convenient walk away from college. It will also help him stay relaxed about the flexible finish times.

My ds had his audition at the end of Jan last year and heard within 3 weeks. The course is exhausting but like all the others he just loves it. They are immersed in what they love for 10 hours a day with very professional teachers, a strict conduct code of respect, and surrounded by amazing talent. Hitchin is a lovely town and friendships are soon forged. We don't regret the decision at all but I've never been able to get past the text we received that day. I didn't know such nastiness existed. I pretended it was a man with daughters to protect identities but I don't care now. She's an exceptionally educated woman who should know others' choices are of value too.

Anyway, onwards and upwards.

I hope your ds ends up where he is happiest. I've heard of a lot of parents say the right course normally chooses the student rather than vice versa, so I'm sure he'll be absolutely fine and a credit to whoever is lucky enough to bag him.

Do keep us posted xxx :D
Yorkshirepudding
GRAMMY Award

Post by Yorkshirepudding »

Dodgersmum, I'm so glad things are working out well and I'm sorry that you had such a horrible text just when you should have been enjoying the moment.

People are weird, and it is so unpredictable who will celebrate with you and who will want to snipe. It gets me every time, and it makes me want to not share successes, which is awful.

I'm glad you have found support here. Sounds like you know your DS best, and most importantly he knows himself very well. Very best wishes for the future x
Dodger'smum
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dodger'smum »

Thank you Yorkshirepudding x
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

My brother did musical theatre training and has done 17 West End shows. He went to Laine. He did an acting course at RADA last summer and has just completed 100 shows in The Mousetrap and some TV work. So it’s totally possible to transfer from MT to straight acting roles.
RoseTowers4
GRAMMY Award

Post by RoseTowers4 »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:18 pm My brother did musical theatre training and has done 17 West End shows. He went to Laine. He did an acting course at RADA last summer and has just completed 100 shows in The Mousetrap and some TV work. So it’s totally possible to transfer from MT to straight acting roles.
Just WOW :shock: =D>
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

Dodger'smum wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:17 pm Hello Starstruck39, and happy exciting new year to your ds who sounds amazing! Wow, what a lovely decision to have to make :)

Finding a host family basically comes down to EDA forwarding you an email address and you taking it from there to do your own introductions, visiting, due diligence, contracting etc etc. We struck lucky on about our fourth contact and it's £90 Sunday night to Friday morning but without cooking or laundry. A lovely big room and a kind landlady who works long hours and employs a cleaner. The location is also very important - try to stay in Hitchin, and the right side of Hitchin for Wilbury Way, it will make a huge difference in the darker months especially if he's just a convenient walk away from college. It will also help him stay relaxed about the flexible finish times.

My ds had his audition at the end of Jan last year and heard within 3 weeks. The course is exhausting but like all the others he just loves it. They are immersed in what they love for 10 hours a day with very professional teachers, a strict conduct code of respect, and surrounded by amazing talent. Hitchin is a lovely town and friendships are soon forged. We don't regret the decision at all but I've never been able to get past the text we received that day. I didn't know such nastiness existed. I pretended it was a man with daughters to protect identities but I don't care now. She's an exceptionally educated woman who should know others' choices are of value too.

Anyway, onwards and upwards.

I hope your ds ends up where he is happiest. I've heard of a lot of parents say the right course normally chooses the student rather than vice versa, so I'm sure he'll be absolutely fine and a credit to whoever is lucky enough to bag him.

Do keep us posted xxx :D

So happy he’s happy at EDA and it’s a big fat foxtrot Oscar to the hideous person who sent the text \:D/
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

Goodness, I've only just seen this thread. What a horrible thing to do!! You know, there are lots of factors which influence a person's success, including how good they are, their own self-belief but also who you know and a bit of luck thrown in for good measure. Wasn't it the Emil Dale end of year show where the new 'Joseph' was discovered??

My DS is very academic, has just finished GCSEs and will get mostly 8s and 9s but he wants to perform and he's been lucky enough to get DaDA funding for Bird, so that's what he's going to do. You don't have to take qualifications in a linear way, he can do A levels when he's older if he wants to. I did A level law for fun when I was 26, and now, at the age of 56 I'm 2 years into a PhD (not sure why, but there you go!) My ex headmistress only last month said she always believed everybody should go to university, but now she realises how wrong she was!!

Watch Billy Elliot. It's the letter from his mum that changed my mind about everything and if I could give your DS one piece of advice from that and life - it's to always be true to yourself!!!

I wish him all the best and all the success that life can bring