Housing benefit for BTEC and Foundation 16-18

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Cosmicdancer
Nominee

Housing benefit for BTEC and Foundation 16-18

Post by Cosmicdancer »

Starting a new thread as old one was going off topic, hope that's ok.

Just applying for housing benefit and cannot find any government guidelines where I can see eligibility.
Has anyone who applied previously and been successful got any tips please?
If my daughter does not work would she still be eligible? What are the hours you can work?
How much is it? What about universal credit, my council seems to suggest you should apply for this first?

Does it have to be a bespoke course, concerned that local colleges are beginning to offer inferior BTEC L3 and Foundation courses, would they not pay for accommodation if same qualification (albeit less hours etc) was offered locally?

Finally anyone been successful with any funding toward accommodation in any other way? It is such a large part of the costs we certainly need any help we can get.
lynne
GRAMMY Award

Re: Housing benefit for BTEC and Foundation 16-18

Post by lynne »

HI
My daughter did the extended level 3 btec which she has just finished. Yes you can get housing benefit. The amount you get will depend on the cost of your accommodation but it is around £80 a week maximum.If your daughter works then you will have to declare that and they will reduce the hb after your daughter/son earns more than around £60 a week.They will also look at any income she/he has from parents etc, and any savings she/he has. You apply to the council where she/he is relocating to so any college near your present home is not even discussed.Councils will vary on how easily they will give you hb but you are eligible for it. The form is lengthy (about 70 pages) so be prepared! You can only apply for it within a couple of weeks of them moving. You can do it online or print it out and do it in advance! You will need to cancel it at the end of year 1 and reapply for year 2 (however you don't have to refill in the 70 page form) its just a couple of pages!
As for universal credit, unless you have kicked your dd/son out you are unlikely to get it. They insist on an interview and will want to know the ins and outs of your situation! ( we did not get this)
My dd was in Guildford so this is our experience from Guildford council, generally they were fine about hb, no problems at all but not Universal credit!
good luck!
Where is dd/ds going?
Lynne
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

I started an application off in preparation for September as my DD will be on a Foundation Course. The answer came back that it would be Universal Credit that she applies for but it is too early at the moment to complete an application. I am guessing then that she will get called in to an interview once she moves in to her host family accommodation. O:)
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

lyndahill wrote:I started an application off in preparation for September as my DD will be on a Foundation Course. The answer came back that it would be Universal Credit that she applies for but it is too early at the moment to complete an application. I am guessing then that she will get called in to an interview once she moves in to her host family accommodation. O:)

universal credit? - not child allowance and housing benefit?
I am such a dinosaur, I don't have a clue about all this. I guess universal credit for housing benefit?
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

DD went to Bird and was doing foundation and after months of phone calls and emails we eventually was offer around £84 per week.
There is a table on line for the maximum they will pay per area.
Central London slightly more.
She could earn around £50 a week but more than they they take it off her meaning she would have been working for about £1.50 an hour so no point going over.
Lots of people are told no first so dont accept this.
It has to be continued education rather than higher education.
They cannot have more than £16K savings of their own and some people are told dont transfer money for food into their account instead give them a voucher card for places like Asda etc...
Cosmicdancer
Nominee

Post by Cosmicdancer »

wow thank you have learnt loads already.
Didn't realise i applied through the council where they relocate have partially (about 60 pages!!) done my local council's form!
My local council does mention it is universal credit, not HB anymore, but as far as i can see she is not eligible for universal credit.
She is off to Addict in August, it is in Leicester, it is a fab alternative to the bigger places and really Wowed us at Move It. 800 applied for just 25 places on her course so proud she got in too. Thank you for all the responses back to the drawing board with the form then, lets hope it is similar!!!
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

Cosmicdancer wrote:wow thank you have learnt loads already.
Didn't realise i applied through the council where they relocate have partially (about 60 pages!!) done my local council's form!
My local council does mention it is universal credit, not HB anymore, but as far as i can see she is not eligible for universal credit.
She is off to Addict in August, it is in Leicester, it is a fab alternative to the bigger places and really Wowed us at Move It. 800 applied for just 25 places on her course so proud she got in too. Thank you for all the responses back to the drawing board with the form then, lets hope it is similar!!!
I know a girl in 2nd year there and loving it.
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

Housing benefit is no longer a benefit on its own, it is now part of universal credit. If you received what used to be housing benefit your DC will be on universal credit but just the housing side of it. Nearly all the country have gone on to universal credit it is an amalgamation of benefits.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

You will need all her accommodation details before applying. You will need to provide documents which if you are posting then always send special delivery/ tracked. Email them to provide a dated paper trail. It is the council for where they will be living. If you have to go to drop her off then you could go in to the council office for them to make copies of your documents and give the originals straight back to you. Some councils it's online claims some are printed out filled in and sent. It's sometimes hard to get through on the phone but it can be helpful to talk to a person if you have queries. Someone from Greenwich talked me through filling in one section of the form on the phone. Good luck, she should be entitled as it is not classed as higher education. Foundation should be fine. Btecs be careful that there is not a similar course locally as they may argue they could stay home and do the course.
Cosmicdancer
Nominee

Post by Cosmicdancer »

Robin 64. Concerned now as BTEC course can be done locally, obviously less hours and quality, but surely so can pretty much all foundation degrees? Really need to get housing benefit as costs are spiralling.
Anyone had this hiccup?
Cosmicdancer
Nominee

Post by Cosmicdancer »

Anyone successfully got housing benefit on a BTEC l3 course?
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

I am dreading this process ,I wonder how long it takes to actually receive the benefit? I presume it's backdated but would like to know how far back it would go.
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

lotsolaffs wrote:I am dreading this process ,I wonder how long it takes to actually receive the benefit? I presume it's backdated but would like to know how far back it would go.
When we were finally accepted they back dated it to the day she moved into her new accommodation
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Has anyone had any experience with claiming housing benefit for only when you are there with a host family,NOT for the whole of the year so for example 35 weeks a year. Totally made up figures example only.

EG rent pw is £100 HB is £50 and only there 35 weeks so the amount received (35 x £50) is spread over 52 weeks .
£1,750 ÷52 =£33 so we would need to top up £77.
No idea if this is how it is calculated or paid so if anyone can let me know I would really appreciate it!
:-k
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

I have applied for my DD - she moves in to her accommodation (host family) on 15th Sept. I have only had to send copy evidence such as a copy of her birth certificate and National Insurance - it states no appointment necessary, though that may come later. The online form was very lengthy and redirected to us to the Government site as apparently now Universal Credit. Keeping fingers crossed and will let you know when successful.x