Auditioning for Sept 2019

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

BattlingPeanut
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by BattlingPeanut »

Lakeviewp wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:57 am
BattlingPeanut wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:45 am Hi all. My DD has just received her audition date for Bird. Just wondering if anyone has any tips for the day? It states she only has to prepare one monologue and one song which she was a little surprised about. She was expecting to have to perform her own dance and contrasting songs etc. Has this changed from previous years? Or did DD just have it wrong (it has been known!)

Also - any info re cuts? Is it on the day? Or do they hear by email/letter? And do they audition foundation, degree and diploma all in the same group and then offer (or not!) depending on what the college thinks suitable?

Thanks in advance!! X
Hi BattlingPeanut,

I think it is only Laine who ask for a pre-prepared dance (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). When we went to the Bird Open Day, they said that they audition everyone together. They have the full day (the day will vary depending on whether you are the first to be seen or the last) with no cuts and then send out the following:

a No
offer of foundation
offer of Degree or Diploma
reserve for Degree or Diploma

They offer about 25% of their places, then everyone else goes on a reserve list. When all auditions have been done and people start to accept or reject places, the reserve people join the offers. Offers can be made right up to the first week of term, as some students may be holding onto more than one place if they are waiting for funding or A Level results.

I can't remember how the funding worked in the system above. It's all starting to get a bit hazy!
Thanks so much for the info. It’s really helpful. Every college audition is different eh!
BattlingPeanut
BRIT Award

Post by BattlingPeanut »

Munchpot wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:11 pm
BattlingPeanut wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:45 am Hi all. My DD has just received her audition date for Bird. Just wondering if anyone has any tips for the day? It states she only has to prepare one monologue and one song which she was a little surprised about. She was expecting to have to perform her own dance and contrasting songs etc. Has this changed from previous years? Or did DD just have it wrong (it has been known!)

Also - any info re cuts? Is it on the day? Or do they hear by email/letter? And do they audition foundation, degree and diploma all in the same group and then offer (or not!) depending on what the college thinks suitable?

Thanks in advance!! X
You're right - it's one monologue and one song for Bird. It's a full on day - they will take part in various classes and will also have a physical assesment (so make sure DD has crop top / shorts)

A few may be offered a place on the day although most will hear by email in a couple of weeks. Don't despair if your DD ends up on the reserve list - there's a lot of movement on that when the final auditions are over.

They assess for all courses at the same time and don't have recalls (We were told that people spend enough on auditions and they don't want additional costs putting people off)

If offered a degree, the Student Finances are arranged through the University of Greenwich. If diploma and offered a place on the day or straight after then it's likely you'll be offered a DADA (they only give these out when their funding has been confirmed)

My DD is at Bird and loves it. Good luck
Thanks so much for this. It’s been really helpful. It’s good to know that there’s lots of movement on the reserve and lovely to hear your DD is enjoying it. I’ll let you all know how the audition goes in Feb. Thanks again.
Lakeviewp
GRAMMY Award

Post by Lakeviewp »

Our latest update!

It was a no yesterday at Mountview, although he didn’t mind as he didn’t feel it was the right place for him. However we had a lovely day meeting Livvyvicky and some other parents! Great to hear everyone’s journeys so far!

He didn’t mind the reject from Mountview because the day before he received an offer from Laine! He still needs to do the funding audition in April because we can’t afford it without a DADA but an offer is an offer and we are celebrating that! Particularly as it is one of his favourites!

Looking forward to hearing of successes from yesterday ;)
2leftfeetmyself
Nominee

Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by 2leftfeetmyself »

Hi everyone, I have been lurking for some time with registration problems that meant I couldn't post.

We only applied to my DD's top 3 choices and intended to apply to more over christmas if things didn't work out.

My DD has been offered a place on the degree course at Bird college and we are over the moon, its certainly made our christmas, she is going to accept and I was wondering if its the "done thing" for us parents to write a letter of thanks? I would certainly like to.
arianadrama
BRIT Award

Post by arianadrama »

GSA tomorrow for my DS - any top tips? Has anyone been successful yet?
Felicity
GRAMMY Award

Post by Felicity »

Lakeviewp wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:54 am Our latest update!

It was a no yesterday at Mountview, although he didn’t mind as he didn’t feel it was the right place for him. However we had a lovely day meeting Livvyvicky and some other parents! Great to hear everyone’s journeys so far!

He didn’t mind the reject from Mountview because the day before he received an offer from Laine! He still needs to do the funding audition in April because we can’t afford it without a DADA but an offer is an offer and we are celebrating that! Particularly as it is one of his favourites!

Lots of congrats to your DS Lakeview. I figured that we know each other as your DS messaged my DD about the Laine offer! He (and you) must be so pleased to get an offer under his belt before Christmas! DD hasn’t started auditioning yet this academic year so all the stress is yet to come!
Livvyvicky
GRAMMY Award

Post by Livvyvicky »

Lakeviewp wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:54 am Our latest update!

Lovely to meet you guys too - it certainly made the time go quicker and it was lovely catching up with everyone - what struck me was all the different pathways our dc’s are taking to get to this point.But no matter what, they are all hardworking determined young people that should be so so proud of themselves. I know I am certainly very proud of my dd and all of the pressure she has had to endure on this journey. I also think we need a pat on the back too \:D/ I have also learnt that not only does a dd pick a school but that the school picks them :D

It is all so unpredictable, knowing dd and her friends I just couldn’t call it it in terms of who got offered where ......

We are thankful for all of the support on here, friends and the fantastic support dd gets from her wonderful college =D>

Our update from yesterday - recall at Mountview for April.
Lmum
BRIT Award

Post by Lmum »

Huge congrats to your DC’s Lakeviewp and Livvyvicky =D> An offer from Laine and MV recall - that’s great news :D And well said Livvyvicky . Have a great Xmas and New Year everyone - here’s to more good news in 2019 !
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

Hi all, DD is at Central tomorrow. Any specific advice? Thanks
VaguelyStagey
Nominee

Post by VaguelyStagey »

DD is just starting this journey and has 4 acting auditions lined up for early January, including Central in the first week back at school.
Rhymie
BRIT Award

Post by Rhymie »

afab wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:34 am Hi all, DD is at Central tomorrow. Any specific advice? Thanks
Hi there, good luck to your DD tomorrow. My specific advice is,
1) don't wear all black, it's hard to be remembered if you look like everyone else. So maybe just a coloured top so she will stand out.
2) wear very little makeup or none at all.
3) make sure her music is sellotaped down the middle, not at the top. She will be accompanied in her song, is she MT? or straight acting? you don't say but its the same for straight acting.
4) If she puts MT as her 3rd choice then she wont sing unless she is called to the afternoon session.
5) if she isn't recalled to the afternoon she didn't get in. They say they don't always call people and they still get a place... They don't! if she isn't called she won't get in.
6) the movement and improv is very particular at Central and can throw them "be purple" is an example of what she may be asked to do. Tell her to be very entertaining and not too cerebral about it.

Finally - the response can be between 4 days and a week. Only through UCAS and a simple " you are no longer being considered for a place and have been unsuccessful" it's a bit brutal at Central. PM me if you want more info about thoughts on the school.
VaguelyStagey
Nominee

Post by VaguelyStagey »

Rhymie - thanks for your comments, I will pass these on to DD.
Be Purple - what on earth...... !!
Glad it’s DD not me :D
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

Rhymie wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:02 pm
afab wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:34 am Hi all, DD is at Central tomorrow. Any specific advice? Thanks
1) don't wear all black, it's hard to be remembered if you look like everyone else. So maybe just a coloured top so she will stand out.
3) make sure her music is sellotaped down the middle, not at the top. She will be accompanied in her song, is she MT? or straight acting? you don't say but its the same for straight acting.
4) If she puts MT as her 3rd choice then she wont sing unless she is called to the afternoon session.
5) if she isn't recalled to the afternoon she didn't get in. They say they don't always call people and they still get a place... They don't! if she isn't called she won't get in.
6) the movement and improv is very particular at Central and can throw them "be purple" is an example of what she may be asked to do. Tell her to be very entertaining and not too cerebral about it.

Finally - the response can be between 4 days and a week. Only through UCAS and a simple " you are no longer being considered for a place and have been unsuccessful" it's a bit brutal at Central. PM me if you want more info about thoughts on the school.
Thanks for your advice Rhymie, DD is ill, high fever and infection. We had to cancel tomorrow but luckily they rescheduled her for January...
Have a lovely Xmas!
Rhymie
BRIT Award

Post by Rhymie »

afab wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:07 pm
Rhymie wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:02 pm

Thanks for your advice Rhymie, DD is ill, high fever and infection. We had to cancel tomorrow but luckily they rescheduled her for January...
Have a lovely Xmas!
In my experience, they are all fantastic about rescheduling, we have had to do it a couple of times over the years and it's never been a problem.get well, get prepared and good luck for after Christmas.
Starstruck39
BRIT Award

Post by Starstruck39 »

dS got two offers for ,6th form Tring and Will dale.. as a single earner gonna be tough to get him there.. got a Tring scholarship audition in march. Not sure if this is appropriate and if not I apologise.. but on a mission to raise money.. lots of fundraising in the pipeline but if anyone has a spare few pounds we would be so grateful if you would donate to our go fund me page

https://www.gofundme.com/profile/vini-llloyd-iaznm

Thank you and merry Christmas all