Auditioning for Sept 2019

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by Sherbert »

Sorry to hear that sailorgirluae and Lmum - it’s the worst feeling for a little while but they’ll both bounce back - it’s what they do xx
Good luck for Trinity x my DS is in his first year at Trinity O:)
Lmum
BRIT Award

Post by Lmum »

Have a bit of a dilemma going on and wondered if anyone had any advice or been in a similar situation?
DD has decided to do Foundation this year as wants to reapply for BA at her preferred schools again next year. She got a Foundation recall audition from MV after her BA audition but we haven’t as yet had the date for this. She would jump at the chance of a year at MV if lucky enough to be offered it. In the meantime she has an offer of triple threat Foundation year at a much smaller school outside of London who have given 4 weeks to accept or decline the place ( 2 weeks of which have gone ) . Our idea was to accept the place as the acceptance deadline will be before MV audition and then if offered MV at a later date we would lose the deposit and give back word on the place at the smaller school. However , the acceptance form says that once she signs to confirms her place it forms a legally binding contract and if subsequently she drops out then all fees will be due! Really don’t know what to do as not sure want to tell the school that they are her second choice but don’t want her to miss out on a chance at MV foundation or end up with nothing ! Help needed!
Rose20
BRIT Award

Post by Rose20 »

Hello Lmum,
I know very little about applying for these courses and I’m sure other more knowledgeable people will post relies.
My thoughts are why do they expect this? Is it because they have problems filling their courses or funding them? Is this what a lot of the colleges ask for? (sounds unlikely many would make people commit to the whole fee with a deposit).
Might be worth checking this site for reviews on the college you are looking at. Good luck to your DD x
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

Lmum wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:29 pm Have a bit of a dilemma going on and wondered if anyone had any advice or been in a similar situation?
DD has decided to do Foundation this year as wants to reapply for BA at her preferred schools again next year. She got a Foundation recall audition from MV after her BA audition but we haven’t as yet had the date for this. She would jump at the chance of a year at MV if lucky enough to be offered it. In the meantime she has an offer of triple threat Foundation year at a much smaller school outside of London who have given 4 weeks to accept or decline the place ( 2 weeks of which have gone ) . Our idea was to accept the place as the acceptance deadline will be before MV audition and then if offered MV at a later date we would lose the deposit and give back word on the place at the smaller school. However , the acceptance form says that once she signs to confirms her place it forms a legally binding contract and if subsequently she drops out then all fees will be due! Really don’t know what to do as not sure want to tell the school that they are her second choice but don’t want her to miss out on a chance at MV foundation or end up with nothing ! Help needed!
Gosh! I can’t actually believe ALL the fees would be due if she gave them plenty of notice? Maybe a phone call to confirm that

I can only speak for mountview as my son did his foundation year there and loved every minute of it - and of course their recalls are really late on - April - there’s so much movement around this time with all colleges so how can they say all fees would be due? - don’t get it

Not much help to you but Hope it all works out right in the end x
Lmum
BRIT Award

Post by Lmum »

Thanks Sherbert , think I’ll call them tomorrow
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Definitely call them. Most colleges are really flexible. You won't be the only one in that position.
Newbe2018
GRAMMY Award

Post by Newbe2018 »

Sherbert wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:45 am
Lmum wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:29 pm Have a bit of a dilemma going on and wondered if anyone had any advice or been in a similar situation?
Gosh! I can’t actually believe ALL the fees would be due if she gave them plenty of notice? Maybe a phone call to confirm that

I can only speak for mountview as my son did his foundation year there and loved every minute of it - and of course their recalls are really late on - April - there’s so much movement around this time with all colleges so how can they say all fees would be due? - don’t get it

Not much help to you but Hope it all works out right in the end x
Hi, found our selves in a similar position last year when DD was auditioning, we did send £100 deposit to hold a place which we had to accept within 2 weeks, I thought this may buy sometime, but as soon as we accepted we received a contract agreement which we had to sign and send back, again within 7 days, but the contract mentioned if we signed and returned and later pulled out we would have to pay for the full year. paying the £100 only brought us 3 weeks. Hope this helps
MTlover123
BRIT Award

Post by MTlover123 »

Anyone else have a DC auditioning at GSA tomo? It is my DD’s first audition she is currently on Laine foundation but did not audition for GSA last year, does anyone have any words of advice she has been poorly the past couple of days so fingers crossed things will go to plan, so important to remind our DC’s that a rejection is not always down to talent sometimes it just isn’t the right place and they are all amazing for having the courage to get out there and try!
sailorgirluae
BRIT Award

Post by sailorgirluae »

Lmum wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:22 pm Know how you and your DS feeling right now sailorgirluae :cry: - no recall for my DD today either . Think she spent quite a bit of time talking to your DS though if he’s ‘M’? - small world ! Wish I’d known I’d have given him a big hug from you ( hope that doesn’t sound too weird!!) Best of luck for rest of auditions and I’m sure it will work out for him and he’ll find the right place xx
HI is indeed M - thanks for the thouhgts - onwards and upwards - if its to be the right school will find him I'm sure
sailorgirluae
BRIT Award

Post by sailorgirluae »

Scarytimes wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:50 pm
sailorgirluae wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:22 pm He's just called me and is gutted as he didn't get a call back this year. (was one of his offers last year) - its so hard not being able to be with him. Onwards and upwards - Trinity next.
Oh no! The first one is always tricky. I have every confidence the right place will snap him up this year. Wonder how they feel about students who have turned them down before???
There as an interesting comment made before the recalls were announced which made him feel like he had wasted his time going in the first place - it may just have been his take on it but it certainly got to him.
sailorgirluae
BRIT Award

Post by sailorgirluae »

Sherbert wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:49 am Sorry to hear that sailorgirluae and Lmum - it’s the worst feeling for a little while but they’ll both bounce back - it’s what they do xx
Thanks for the kind words - he didn't audition for Trinity last year so will be intersting to see how he does there. Do they find out on the day? Couldn't seem to find those detials anywhere.
Livvyvicky
GRAMMY Award

Post by Livvyvicky »

Sailorgurluae did you mean there was an interesting comment from EDA before the recall there?
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

sailorgirluae wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:17 pm
Sherbert wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:49 am Sorry to hear that sailorgirluae and Lmum - it’s the worst feeling for a little while but they’ll both bounce back - it’s what they do xx
Thanks for the kind words - he didn't audition for Trinity last year so will be intersting to see how he does there. Do they find out on the day? Couldn't seem to find those detials anywhere.
No a few weeks later (about 2 weeks I think it was last year) - they get an update via UCAS
Lots of people say it’s a great audition day x
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

sailorgirluae wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:17 pm
Yes it was about two weeks till dd had her rejection last year x She loved the audition day and the whole environment x She was devastated at the time but cheered up when they offered her the foundation. As it was she decided to go somewhere else but it was her dream back then x Goodluck xxx
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

I think that type of behaviour forcing people into making decisions before they have all their options is really unfair. I agree, call them to see if they will extend the deadline til after the MV audition. Does your DD have any other auditions? If she would be happy to do a foundation ( my DD did one and found it excellent) maybe you could see if there are any more available to try for at other colleges ) to be honest a college forcing you to pay fees for a course your DD doesn't do would put me off choosing that place.