Auditioning for Sept 2019

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Littleone wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:20 am
afab wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:00 am I am very happy to share with you all that DD's just got an offer for a BA Hons at Rose Bruford! We are all very chuffed as she's 16 and it was her first year auditioning. After a long series of nos since December, it's really nice to hear! Champagne!
Fantastic news !! Many Congratulations to your Daughter =D> =D>
Yes, apologies afab, in all my excitement I forgot to pass on congrats to your DD x
becmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by becmum »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:16 am
afab wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:49 am
MygirlsloveMT wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:45 am

I thought this too, would be interesting to know if this is not the case though as my 2nd daughter also wants to follow this path (god help me) and is only 14 so would love to know if she could start a degree at 16 as I thought it was only diploma she could go for. Wonder if you can get a student loan under 18 though?
As I said higher up, having finished Secondary school allows you to go on to study a degree. My 2 eldest DDs started Uni as in Dance college at respectively 17 and 16. DD1 was offered a place at Chichester but went to LSC in the end. So did DD2. They both received Student Loans. DD3 has already done her SF application and there is no problem.
It's a common misconception and I know it has stopped people before. The colleges or unis simply put a few rules in place when the student is under 18. Spread the word!
Very intriguing, will definitely be looking into this. Did your daughters still manage to get the sufficient number of UCAS points without doing their A Levels or further education? My 14yr old will be over the moon if she can audition at 16, I told her she couldn't as she'd need a student loan!
Just looking at ucas website as I am now interested to see what you can tap into at 16...my daughter applied only for diploma as thought only able to try to get a DADA...for bird they need 64 ucas points and with dance exams my Dd currently has enough points....even without any A levels etc...very interesting, might be worth discussing with Colleges applied for incase funding doesn’t come through 🤔
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:45 am

I thought this too, would be interesting to know if this is not the case though as my 2nd daughter also wants to follow this path (god help me) and is only 14 so would love to know if she could start a degree at 16 as I thought it was only diploma she could go for. Wonder if you can get a student loan under 18 though?
As I said higher up, having finished Secondary school allows you to go on to study a degree. My 2 eldest DDs started Uni as in Dance college at respectively 17 and 16. DD1 was offered a place at Chichester but went to LSC in the end. So did DD2. They both received Student Loans. DD3 has already done her SF application and there is no problem.
It's a common misconception and I know it has stopped people before. The colleges or unis simply put a few rules in place when the student is under 18. Spread the word!
Very intriguing, will definitely be looking into this. Did your daughters still manage to get the sufficient number of UCAS points without doing their A Levels or further education? My 14yr old will be over the moon if she can audition at 16, I told her she couldn't as she'd need a student loan!
My eldest daughters both finished their secondary school with A'levels equivalents in their pockets so yes, they had the necessary points or in the case of LSC, the final grades that were needed. My youngest will finish in July with the number of points that RB asks for. She also has an offer at regular university based on her predicted grades. Age is really not a problem, the end of secondary degree is. You have to either have A'levels, International or European Baccalaureate or any other end of Secondary school degree (level 3). It could be a B-Tech too as long as the UCAS points are there. And of course, being offered a place after an audition process! :shock:
Newbe2018
GRAMMY Award

Post by Newbe2018 »

becmum wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:46 am

Just looking at ucas website as I am now interested to see what you can tap into at 16...my daughter applied only for diploma as thought only able to try to get a DADA...for bird they need 64 ucas points and with dance exams my Dd currently has enough points....even without any A levels etc...very interesting, might be worth discussing with Colleges applied for incase funding doesn’t come through 🤔
Don't think you'd be able to transfer at this point as the ucas applications have to be in before end of January for September start, but if no funding, a def to look at for end of year, new applications for 2020.
becmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by becmum »

Newbe2018 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:44 pm
becmum wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:46 am

Don't think you'd be able to transfer at this point as the ucas applications have to be in before end of January for September start, but if no funding, a def to look at for end of year, new applications for 2020.
Ah I see! But definitely worth knowing, thanks for the heads up 👍xx
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

You would have to check with each individual institution but most degree courses do not accept graded dance exams alone, the UCAS points have to come from A levels, Btec or UAL diploma etc. IN addition Bird do state that applicants to their degree course need to be 18 years old (this is not the case for most other universities)

For students applying from outside England it is often possible to matriculate before the age of 18, it is much more difficult for students from England.

There are a few institutions, mostly those focusing on classical dance, that allow degree entry to those with just Level 2 (GCSE equivalent) qualifications. From memory these include Central, Rambert, RCS (classical ballet course only) and new for this year LSC.
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

Totally agree with islandofsodor!

Drama Schools that allow under 18 to audition are RWCMD (Cardiff), E15, the Royal Conservatoire of Birmingham,
RCS, Central, Guildhall, GSA, Rose Bruford, Drama Centre (Central St Martins) and Manchester School of Theatre. In all these schools, you must have a level 3 qualification (A'levels or equivalent).
Fullmoon
BRIT Award

Post by Fullmoon »

Lovely to log on and read your good news afab! =D>
Hang in there everybody still waiting, still lots of time for movement and those yeses to come through [-o<
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

Ok here's a question then. If DS does the diploma at 16 or 17 with DaDA funding (he won't be able to do it without funding!!) could he then get full Government funding for a degree (maybe not in Performng Arts) in the future? I've looked at the gov.uk website and I'm none the wiser!!
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

icantdance wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:18 am Ok here's a question then. If DS does the diploma at 16 or 17 with DaDA funding (he won't be able to do it without funding!!) could he then get full Government funding for a degree (maybe not in Performng Arts) in the future? I've looked at the gov.uk website and I'm none the wiser!!
I believe so yes as Student Loan is a loan so has to be paid back (in theory).
Rose20
BRIT Award

Post by Rose20 »

This is a link to the site. I didn’t fully understand the rules to be honest.
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

In short, if it's your first degree, you qualify. If you already have a diploma, you still qualify. That's what I understand.
zoorangerman
Nominee

Post by zoorangerman »

The link above states:

You’ll usually only get student finance if you’re doing your first higher education qualification - even if your previous course was self-funded.

Would the diploma not count as the first higher education qualification and so student finance might not be available?

However I’m sure I’ve heard of people on this forum who have done a diploma with a dada and then gone onto get student finance at degree level.

It is confusing!
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

We have been at open days and auditions for the level 6 diploma courses where this question has been asked and the answer was that no you cannot get a student loan if you have done the level 6 diploma, even if you did not receive a DADA for the course . This is because the trinity level 6 diploma is higher education and a student loan is only available for your first higher education qualification. We were told it is also because of how funding is allocated for students. One of the reasons the DADA is not a loan is because the government pays an amount per head for all higher education students - this goes direct to universities but as the colleges offering the DADA courses are private, they do not receive this government subsidy so it is offered by way of DADA instead - or something along those lines.

Bottom line is - student finance is only available for your first higher education qualification so if you have a level 6 diploma then in theory you do not qualify. In practice I do know of students who still got student finance (I believe) who have gone on to do degrees in other subjects after completing a level 6 diploma but I do not think you can go into it assuming that student finance would be available.

The exception for student finance after the level 6 diploma is for the conversion or 'top-up' courses - that are on offer for those with a diploma wanting to convert it to a degree. Student finance is available for these courses.
Rose20
BRIT Award

Post by Rose20 »

That is what I understood as well. It is a shame as it limits the option to study for a new career if things don’t work out.