Auditioning for Sept 2019

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by icantdance »

For anybody waiting on Performers - DS has found out from them where he is on the reserve list. I think it's fair to say we're not expecting any funding offers from them this year which hopefully will make life easier as we're really hoping for Bird, and a DaDA offer from Performers would just confuse things!! For anybody whose DC is on the reserve list - they will tell you roughly how many there are and roughly where your DC is on the list.
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

icantdance wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:03 pm Things are definitely moving at Performers. DS had letter today asking if he still wants to be on the reserve list for DaDA and if he was happy with a non funded place then please could he send £1000 by 1st July!! He knows someone who was offered a DaDA at Performers last week. He's planning to phone tomorrow to find out where he is on the list but won't be taking a non funded place unless we win the lottery!

Does anybody know what the score is at Bird? Last auditions are this Thursday but is that for the foundation students or have they already had their audition?

Congrats to all who have had offers so far. Now we just wait .....
Can I ask if your DS's friend had a place at Performers anyway and was just waiting to hear about funding, or were they on reserve list for a place and got a call offering a place with funding??
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Newbe2018 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:13 pm
bro1234 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:46 pm H
The Stage today said GSA are withdrawing there theatre and performance course. Not sure how it’s going to
Effect students auditioning
I heard this, DD read it somewhere last week, it mentioned that the MT course was no longer going to be available from September and they had dropped it due to lack of funding, it wasn't a reliable source so didn't think much of it. Feel gutted for those who have let other places go for GSA if the course is no longer available.
See my reply above and on the other thread. There is definitely no impact and a lot of unfounded gossip doing the rounds - drama students love a bit of drama! Reliable source being director of MT at GSA and current MT students.
Stageyails
Nominee

Post by Stageyails »

My dd is at GSA. the only course affected is the Theatre and Performance Course. No other courses are affected at all - all BA MT and Actor Muso programmes are running and will continue to do so. GSA continues to be one of the leading conservatories for Musical Theatre.
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

lyndahill wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:56 pm
icantdance wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:03 pm Things are definitely moving at Performers. DS had letter today asking if he still wants to be on the reserve list for DaDA and if he was happy with a non funded place then please could he send £1000 by 1st July!! He knows someone who was offered a DaDA at Performers last week. He's planning to phone tomorrow to find out where he is on the list but won't be taking a non funded place unless we win the lottery!

Does anybody know what the score is at Bird? Last auditions are this Thursday but is that for the foundation students or have they already had their audition?

Congrats to all who have had offers so far. Now we just wait .....
Can I ask if your DS's friend had a place at Performers anyway and was just waiting to hear about funding, or were they on reserve list for a place and got a call offering a place with funding??
I believe she had already had an offer and was waiting to hear about funding. He'll see her on Saturday at CAT so I'll ask him to ask her .... Can't guarantee he'll remember though, as he's a teenager!!

Update .... She was offered a non funded place initially after her audition and then was offered a DaDA in the first allocation.
Last edited by icantdance on Mon May 13, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newbe2018
GRAMMY Award

Post by Newbe2018 »

Scarytimes wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:29 pm
Newbe2018 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:13 pm
bro1234 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:46 pm H
The Stage today said GSA are withdrawing there theatre and performance course. Not sure how it’s going to
Effect students auditioning
I heard this, DD read it somewhere last week, it mentioned that the MT course was no longer going to be available from September and they had dropped it due to lack of funding, it wasn't a reliable source so didn't think much of it. Feel gutted for those who have let other places go for GSA if the course is no longer available.
See my reply above and on the other thread. There is definitely no impact and a lot of unfounded gossip doing the rounds - drama students love a bit of drama! Reliable source being director of MT at GSA and current MT students.
Pleased to hear it's unfounded gossip, I had originally thought as much and great for people to read all has not changed for those students concerned. XX
arianadrama
BRIT Award

Post by arianadrama »

Yes Julian Woolford (Head of MT at GSA) has tweeted again (for the 3rd time) that MT courses are not affected by the closure of the Theatre and Performance degree
bro1234
BRIT Award

Post by bro1234 »

Yes as I originally said it’s there theatre and performance course that’s effected (Not MT) x
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

bro1234 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 7:07 pm Yes as I originally said it’s there theatre and performance course that’s effected (Not MT) x
I think the confusion is in the name "Theatre and Performance" course sounds like it might cover MT/Acting/Music and more and doesn't sound like it has research and an academic side to it, so I'm not surprised there is confusion.

Add to that GSA being part of the University of Surrey but also a conservatoire in its own right, then responsibility for decisions like this aren't clear. Pity there wasn't an up front statement from Uni and GSA rather than a journalist speak article that raised it to everyone's attention.
Sallyanne123
Nominee

Post by Sallyanne123 »

The courses at GSA that are stopping were never really part of the conservatoire other than in name, they were courses that were run by the university of Surrey and were already proving less successful so they were put under the GSA umbrella in order to try and save them.Sadly it would seem that this has not happened . There is no issue with GSA and it’s regular courses and they continue to be run at a very high standard and are still one of the leading institutions offering high lever training in the performing arts sector.
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Sallyanne123 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:58 am The courses at GSA that are stopping were never really part of the conservatoire other than in name, they were courses that were run by the university of Surrey and were already proving less successful so they were put under the GSA umbrella in order to try and save them.Sadly it would seem that this has not happened . There is no issue with GSA and it’s regular courses and they continue to be run at a very high standard and are still one of the leading institutions offering high lever training in the performing arts sector.
Thanks Sallyanne123. You put it much better than I could!
songanddance
BRIT Award

Post by songanddance »

Has anyone heard back from the funding auditions from Laine yet?
DD and I are on tenterhooks as they were so quick off the bat offering places after the intial audition, but it's been 3 weeks since the funding audition...
MTlover123
BRIT Award

Post by MTlover123 »

songanddance wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:51 pm Has anyone heard back from the funding auditions from Laine yet?
DD and I are on tenterhooks as they were so quick off the bat offering places after the intial audition, but it's been 3 weeks since the funding audition...
DD has heard from friends that at least 6 got the magical phone call today, so it sounds like they’re going down the list. Fingers crossed for you.
Belledancer
BRIT Award

Post by Belledancer »

Laine took ages last year - looking back it was June 12th when the final DADA offers were made Any one who is waiting and unsure my dd is just about to finish 1st year and has absolutely loved it - please feel free to pm any questions - good luck to all those awaiting places - it’s an enormously stressful time but it will work out x
MTlover123
BRIT Award

Post by MTlover123 »

Mountview reserve is also moving as one of DD’s friends was offered degree today =D> =D> =D>