Auditioning for Sept 2019

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Phoenix wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:05 am
MygirlsloveMT wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:16 pm
Phoenix wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:08 pm
Yes I did say that to my son. I don't understand how their accommodation list has properties that are now being booked out by current students. You would think that it would be for first years only. Any advice from previous parents greatly appreciated.

Your daughter may be luckier as a lot of them say girls only.
I did say that a lot of people don’t even know yet if they’re going to Performers so they can’t all have gone already!
Hope you have found something for your daughter. We managed to get somewhere yesterday for my son. It's with a lovely landlady. Not what he initially wanted as he was planning on independent living but we couldn't find anything and we both felt far better to secure somewhere now rather than chance it and wait. Good luck to everyone with places, funding and finding accommodation. I think I can finally relax a bit now! \:D/
Not yet, I've tried convincing my daughter to do this but she really really doesn't want to, said it would make her more nervous so we are hanging on for now but think it will either be this or a single room somewhere. Performers said they've had a lot of landlords sell up over the last year so have lost a lot of places. Did see online a couple of years ago that they were planning on building their own accomodation, shame it hasn't happened as it's a nightmare if they don't have enough accomodation for the number of places they offer!
Phoenix
Nominee

Post by Phoenix »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:47 am

Not yet, I've tried convincing my daughter to do this but she really really doesn't want to, said it would make her more nervous so we are hanging on for now but think it will either be this or a single room somewhere. Performers said they've had a lot of landlords sell up over the last year so have lost a lot of places. Did see online a couple of years ago that they were planning on building their own accomodation, shame it hasn't happened as it's a nightmare if they don't have enough accomodation for the number of places they offer!
We saw one place but it was a converted garage. Fine but very small, only had bedroom, kitchenette and shower room. No communal area for spending time with friends etc. We then went to the host one and the lady is so free and easy, no rules except respect her and her house. She has her own bedroom and bathroom in the loft so the two students have their own rooms on 1st floor with own bathroom. As I said not his intention to take this route but it made sense to us and it's only their first year - they will have the head start next year. The landlady at the converted garage said the existing students had the lists over a week ago!

Yes I wish they had already built their own accommodation - they certainly have the space for it. A couple that I called had a single room for a girl. If you want to PM me I can let you know which ones.
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Thanks, we have 3 who have a single room but she is trying to find somewhere with 2 so a friend can stay with her. She's taking her first a level exam today (that's another thing, I wish they wouldn't send them out during exams) so we've left her to it as it's stressing her out and will have a proper discussion with her tonight. I keep saying that as she is doing the Pre-Voc it would be good to just get somewhere this year and then if she (hopefully) gets the degree next year she will be down there already and can more or less pick where she wants to go. It's getting them to listen though isn't it?
Phoenix
Nominee

Post by Phoenix »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:34 am Thanks, we have 3 who have a single room but she is trying to find somewhere with 2 so a friend can stay with her. She's taking her first a level exam today (that's another thing, I wish they wouldn't send them out during exams) so we've left her to it as it's stressing her out and will have a proper discussion with her tonight. I keep saying that as she is doing the Pre-Voc it would be good to just get somewhere this year and then if she (hopefully) gets the degree next year she will be down there already and can more or less pick where she wants to go. It's getting them to listen though isn't it?
Exactly! I thought I would have more of an issue with my son but I am very pleased with his attitude to it all. Maybe he is growing up :lol:

I don't know what is worse, Performers in the middle of exam season (luckily mine isn't doing A Levels), or Bird that get theirs at the end of July, not leaving a lot of time to sort anything out. Then again, they can use Avery Hill halls which must make things easier.
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Phoenix wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:37 am
MygirlsloveMT wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:34 am Thanks, we have 3 who have a single room but she is trying to find somewhere with 2 so a friend can stay with her. She's taking her first a level exam today (that's another thing, I wish they wouldn't send them out during exams) so we've left her to it as it's stressing her out and will have a proper discussion with her tonight. I keep saying that as she is doing the Pre-Voc it would be good to just get somewhere this year and then if she (hopefully) gets the degree next year she will be down there already and can more or less pick where she wants to go. It's getting them to listen though isn't it?
Exactly! I thought I would have more of an issue with my son but I am very pleased with his attitude to it all. Maybe he is growing up :lol:

I don't know what is worse, Performers in the middle of exam season (luckily mine isn't doing A Levels), or Bird that get theirs at the end of July, not leaving a lot of time to sort anything out. Then again, they can use Avery Hill halls which must make things easier.
In half term would've been nice, at least then we'd have time to sit down and go through it together properly and people could arrange visits to look round etc, unfortunately we're a bit too far away for that. If push comes to shove then she'll just have to live further away and take her car down with her, I'm sure something will come through in the end. At the moment we're just trying to find something that will make her less nervous when she starts!
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

Last year the accommodation for Performers came out around now and I got on the phone immediately and went to see over Bank Holiday weekend. Ask the college for the Facebook page so that your children can join because on there they can post if anybody is moving out of accommodation - same on Instagram I expect. I'll ask my DD if she hears of any as she is staying with the Host family that she was with last year. Just waiting to hear of movement on the Dada funding list
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Munchpot wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:15 pm
Rince wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:01 pm Thanks again, i am totally new to how it all works and just when i think ive grasped it, there is another twist!! This may sound like a silly question but do the reserve lists for boys and girls mean that if a boy gives up his funding, it is then offered to no.1 on the boys reserve or could It go to a girl on reserve? #-o so if one is on the girls reserve list, is one waiting for girls to decline their offers?
From what I understand the gender of the applicant shouldn’t make any difference. According to the funding rules the awards should be given to those ‘most likely to succeed’ so it should go to the next highest scoring candidate.
I believe that they decide how many of each gender they want (not sure if defined as 50/50 but probably is) then within that they are ranked then move down lists if people give up places. That way once you are on reserve you know how far away you are.
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Has anyone whose DC has done a Foundation/Pre-Voc course have any knowledge of maintenance loans? I was of the understanding that you couldn’t get them for this type of course but one of DD’s friends has said she’s just applied for one and been approved. Totally confused now!
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

The only Foundation courses where you can get maintenance loans are ones that are linked to a degree or HNC/D.
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

East 15 offers a Foundation course with Student Finance. From what I understand, since SF offers 4 years of funding, it is done using one of those years... I heard of it last week and at first, I was very sceptical but apparently that's what is done there. I don't know if it's new...

PS My daughter says they don't call it a Foundation, even though that's what it is...
Last edited by afab on Fri May 24, 2019 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

islandofsodor wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:33 pm The only Foundation courses where you can get maintenance loans are ones that are linked to a degree or HNC/D.
This is what I thought, she thinks her Dad selected Foundation degree but it’s not a foundation degree is it? I’m not sure what happens if you claim incorrectly, presumably they can just ask for it back? I think I might get the hubby to give them a ring as I don’t want to bank on the money and then find they want it back!
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

East 15's course is a Certificate of Higher Education which is eligible for Student Finance using, as you say, the 4th year. Some universities will award a Cert of Higher Ed after the first year (it's Level 4 on the QCF) Most drama school Foundation courses you don't get an actual qualification so they are not eligible for Student Finance.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

My girls, which exact foundation course is your dd's friend doing as it should be fairly simple to find out if its eligible.
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

islandofsodor wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:15 pm My girls, which exact foundation course is your dd's friend doing as it should be fairly simple to find out if its eligible.
It's the pre-vocational course and no, you don't get a qualification which is why I don't think its eligible. I'm sure I'm right but when you're talking about a few thousand pounds it's worth the ask isn't it?
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Surely he'd have had to put the UCAS code in? Sounds very confusing.