Auditioning for Sept 2019

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Dogcop
BAFTA Award

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by Dogcop »

For anybody starting at Bird this September-Ds in final year and has lived with the most incredible host family for the whole 3 years. He was only 16 when he started and they have cared for him so well. Really great location too. PM if you would like details. Ds will be sad to leave them
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Dogcop wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:39 am For anybody starting at Bird this September-Ds in final year and has lived with the most incredible host family for the whole 3 years. He was only 16 when he started and they have cared for him so well. Really great location too. PM if you would like details. Ds will be sad to leave them
That's nice to hear and very useful for new applicants.
itsalongshot
BRIT Award

Post by itsalongshot »

Best of luck to all who have auditions this term. Go in there , be confident, be yourselves and show them what you can do. There is a right place for everyone :D
arianadrama
BRIT Award

Post by arianadrama »

itsalongshot wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:02 pm Best of luck to all who have auditions this term. Go in there , be confident, be yourselves and show them what you can do. There is a right place for everyone :D
What a lovely message - thank you itsalongshot - you sound as though you speak from experience has your DC successfully been through the process? It feels like a never ending process at the moment!! Im even coming out with sad words of encouragement like ''its a marathon not a sprint'' to try and keep morale up! 8-[
itsalongshot
BRIT Award

Post by itsalongshot »

arianadrama wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:02 pm
itsalongshot wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:02 pm Best of luck to all who have auditions this term. Go in there , be confident, be yourselves and show them what you can do. There is a right place for everyone :D
What a lovely message - thank you itsalongshot - you sound as though you speak from experience has your DC successfully been through the process? It feels like a never ending process at the moment!! Im even coming out with sad words of encouragement like ''its a marathon not a sprint'' to try and keep morale up! 8-[
Yes my DC now in their 2 nd year at their dream school. Audition year was long and tough but was lucky to have offers at all they went for. There is a place for everyone and there’s a range of ages on their course so everyone is ready at a different time. They will find their niche . :D pm me if you have any questions.
Rhymie
BRIT Award

Post by Rhymie »

3 years of auditioning nearly saw me off :shock:
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

I agree most stressful year of my life and many ups and downs but DD in her 2nd year at her dream college and loving every minute xx I very much believe in fate
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Lol I was just this afternoon going through last years diary writing down important dates in my new diary. I can’t believe how mad that’s auditioning Year was!! Auditions, filming, pantomime rehearsals and show. Dance classes/exams as well as A levels and exams!! I really don’t know how we all survived it. Finally DD is at her choice of school and is very very happy x It wasn’t her dream but looking at her school we all see it was where she was supposed to end up. Fate xxx Goodluck all xx
Last edited by Marissa on Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fullmoon
BRIT Award

Post by Fullmoon »

Marissa wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:52 pm Lol I was just this afternoon going through last years diary writing down important dates in my new diary. I can’t believe how mad that’s auditioning Year was!! Auditions, filming, pants rehearsals and show. Dance classes/exams as well as A levels and exams!! I really don’t know how we all survived it. Finally DD is at her choice of school and is very very happy x It wasn’t her dream but looking at her school we all see it was where she was supposed to end up. Fate xxx Goodluck all xx
Similar here! Updating calendars etc the other day made me think about the craziness (and worry!) we were all going through this time last year! I really empathise with those of you going through it now! Hang in there as, like others have said, these things do seem to work themselves out in the end.
Like Marissa, my DD didn’t end up where she “dreamed” of going, but I really do think fate stepped in to ensure she ended up where she did, even if it was a bit of a last minute curveball! She’s so happy and so settled I couldn’t imagine her anywhere else now....and she has even said she’s glad now that she didn’t get the offer that she ‘thought’ she wanted at the time! So, in our experience the right college definitely finds you! Good Luck x
Fullmoon
BRIT Award

Post by Fullmoon »

Harrypottermouse wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:18 am
Fullmoon wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:50 pm With risk of repeating what others have said, 11 is a huge undertaking! Given the schools you have listed maybe you should consider going to the CDET conference as they’ll all be there under one roof and you can chat to them more about their course content. Your DD can also attend master classes and then you can watch performances by them all in the afternoon, which is a great way to see their style and standard. This might help you to focus and streamline which ones really are worth auditioning for....Good Luck :D
Hi - you mention CDET - I am a new parent in this game - what would that be - I have 1 child already in 6th form looking at her future and one on her heels in Year 9. My second daughter will be starting with WEK Training in Jan (again new to us) but I am realising I have a rapid learning curve. As I am responsible for both of their educations - would the CDET thing be something worth my while attending with them both (they are going in different directions phew) to help shape their future training and education? Many thanks
Sorry Harrypottermouse, I have only just seen this as I don’t log in so often these days! But, yes, the reply you got is correct - the name has changed, but looking at the website the format is still the same. Not sure what year of entry you are looking for though? Is your eldest in lower or upper 6? Again, looking at the website the conference has already taken place in this academic year (I.e. it was in November, which I know is when we went 2years ago) in preparation for auditions now for Sept 19. I’m sure somebody will correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think they’ll run another one now until next November, ahead of Sept 20 intake. Good Luck x
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Not sure if anyone can help or if this is the right place to post. DD will be auditioning for sept 20. I’m a bit confused by some of the funding and course options. Some of the colleges she looks like she would be better off applying for a diploma and some the degree. It’s a bit hard to tell which would give her more funding, obviously if she was lucky enough to be offered a place. Does anyone have experience of this? I emailed Arts Ed to ask about whether there is a possibility that if considered for the degree but getting a dada would be better and doing a diploma funding wise, can you be considered for both at audition as there DD could afford diploma but not degrrr. But they just copied and pasted information from their website about the two courses. Whereas somewhere like Bird she would do better trying for the degree. It’s so confusing!!
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:33 am Not sure if anyone can help or if this is the right place to post. DD will be auditioning for sept 20. I’m a bit confused by some of the funding and course options. Some of the colleges she looks like she would be better off applying for a diploma and some the degree. It’s a bit hard to tell which would give her more funding, obviously if she was lucky enough to be offered a place. Does anyone have experience of this? I emailed Arts Ed to ask about whether there is a possibility that if considered for the degree but getting a dada would be better and doing a diploma funding wise, can you be considered for both at audition as there DD could afford diploma but not degrrr. But they just copied and pasted information from their website about the two courses. Whereas somewhere like Bird she would do better trying for the degree. It’s so confusing!!
I agree Arts Ed and Mountview we would have needed a Dada but then Bird the Degree. I will say everyone is in the same boat. When DD auditioned for Bird about 80% were there for Degree so more competition for the places. Those auditioning for the Diploma I assume were from low income families where that suited them as more funding but if on an average wage then Degree worked better. One thing to consider is whatever the Gov calculator tells you they will get in Maintenance loan then you do seem to get more. Maybe as Bird is backed by University of Greenwich so you get the London allowance ??
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

Just to offer a bit more encouragement to everyone still waiting. Two years ago round about now, things turned around for DD. She'd had 4 auditions prior to Christmas with none resulting in an offer of any sort. The Christmas break was tough knowing that she had only 3 more auditions to go. She ended up with two opportunities by end January and didn't attend the third audition. She accepted one of them and has had the best training. What changed from before to after Christmas? Who knows.
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Post by chivers61 »

dancemom43 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:45 am
Dancemum1973 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:33 am Not sure if anyone can help or if this is the right place to post. DD will be auditioning for sept 20. I’m a bit confused by some of the funding and course options. Some of the colleges she looks like she would be better off applying for a diploma and some the degree. It’s a bit hard to tell which would give her more funding, obviously if she was lucky enough to be offered a place. Does anyone have experience of this? I emailed Arts Ed to ask about whether there is a possibility that if considered for the degree but getting a dada would be better and doing a diploma funding wise, can you be considered for both at audition as there DD could afford diploma but not degrrr. But they just copied and pasted information from their website about the two courses. Whereas somewhere like Bird she would do better trying for the degree. It’s so confusing!!
I agree Arts Ed and Mountview we would have needed a Dada but then Bird the Degree. I will say everyone is in the same boat. When DD auditioned for Bird about 80% were there for Degree so more competition for the places. Those auditioning for the Diploma I assume were from low income families where that suited them as more funding but if on an average wage then Degree worked better. One thing to consider is whatever the Gov calculator tells you they will get in Maintenance loan then you do seem to get more. Maybe as Bird is backed by University of Greenwich so you get the London allowance ??
Planning so far ahead has an upside and a downside. The former is obvious but the downside is that 2020 is quite far into the future and there is no telling what the funding structure will be. The whole funding of degrees is under review with talk of cutting loans to £6,500 for some degrees with no mention of whether or not the shortfall between that and the fees will be made up and by whom. There was also an interesting article in The Times yesterday about "creative arts" degrees resulting in many students even after 10 years not reaching the £25,000 per annum income threshold required to start repaying the loans. The implication was that they are not "value for money" for students and by implication should questioning whether or not they should be funded by taxpayers. It is of course a rather crass way to look at it, but with student loan funding under scrutiny big time, politics will get in the way and who knows what the outcome will be.
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

Dancemum1973 - When DS was at Arts Ed, his offer (and I believe everybody else) was for the diploma with the option of turning it into a degree for a one off payment of £400 I believe. If you DD gets an offer from Arts Ed then you would have both options and therefore no need to go for one or the other. Then you decide which one to go for giving you a bit more time to decide which would be more financial viable. Not sure what other colleges do.
All new to me!