Auditioning for Sept 2019

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by lbm1e14 »

Tortoise wrote:There were some issues at Italia Conti earlier this year. Does anyone know if there are any plans to move from Barbican?
Are you referring to the allegations of financial impropriety? That's seems to have gone quiet but my understanding is that it is still being investigated.

I know nothing about any move.
Tortoise
Nominee

Post by Tortoise »

Thanks. I hope it will all get sorted out. The move thing related to an article in The Stage that said they were considering moving and selling the London building. That article was back in April and I couldn’t find anything else more up to date. I assume they wouldn’t be offering courses without making that clearer as a possibility but now feel a bit worried and not sure if to apply.
Lmum
BRIT Award

Post by Lmum »

Hi my DD is applying for BA musical theatre at the moment for Arts Ed, Mountview , GSA, RCS and Trinty Laban. She has an audition date for Arts Ed and the info they have sent says that candidates kept back after first round will be required to change into daywear for the next stage of monologues and workshop. Can anyone advise on what constitutes appropriate daywear? Also do you turn up in your dance wear as jazz workshop is first? What shoes would you wear with daywear outfit ? Any help re what to wear (or not) gratefully received - DD new to this and doesn't want to turn up in wrong things ! Would character shoes be ok as daywear ?
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

Lmum wrote:Hi my DD is applying for BA musical theatre at the moment for Arts Ed, Mountview , GSA, RCS and Trinty Laban. She has an audition date for Arts Ed and the info they have sent says that candidates kept back after first round will be required to change into daywear for the next stage of monologues and workshop. Can anyone advise on what constitutes appropriate daywear? Also do you turn up in your dance wear as jazz workshop is first? What shoes would you wear with daywear outfit ? Any help re what to wear (or not) gratefully received - DD new to this and doesn't want to turn up in wrong things ! Would character shoes be ok as daywear ?
Daywear should be relatively smart and a no to the character shoes. Whilst they are studying there , they spend time going through what is appropriate for auditioning. Does she have shoes with a little bit of a heel that she is comfortable in ? If not shoes not trainers A dress or skirt and a pretty top fine. No denim. Basically anything that flatters and doesn't have a logo emblazoned over it. Something she is comfortable wearing but is smart enough to make her look like she has made an effort.
Lmum
BRIT Award

Post by Lmum »

Thanks Oscar that’s really helpful - all new to us so would like to get it right ! Would smart flat shoes be ok too ?
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Dd didn't audition there but for daywear wore a simple black dress with low heels. It was easy to slip on and off (didn't crease!) and she arrived wearing it with dance clothing underneath so she looked smart all the time. What people wore did very hugely during DDs auditions but she stuck to that for every audition x So at times we did panic that maybe she looked a bit too polished but it also made her feel in the zone lol
Goodluck!!! I will enjoy watching everyone's journey after finishing ours x
VaguelyStagey
Nominee

Post by VaguelyStagey »

My DD had decided to hold off this year, but has changed her mind and is now narrowing down her previous 8 favourites into a more manageable group given that’s shes also studying for A levels
As she’s only looking at straight drama Conservatoires, she knows the schools prefer candidates with a bit more life experience so is expecting this to be a practice run through really.
Rhymie
BRIT Award

Post by Rhymie »

VaguelyStagey wrote:My DD had decided to hold off this year, but has changed her mind and is now narrowing down her previous 8 favourites into a more manageable group given that’s shes also studying for A levels
As she’s only looking at straight drama Conservatoires, she knows the schools prefer candidates with a bit more life experience so is expecting this to be a practice run through really.
Good luck to her. My DD starts Bristol Old Vic this week after auditioning for the past few years. They have an average age of about 23 and he's 22 this year. I know a few who got into other Drama schools straight after A levels though.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

DD also didn't audition there but similar to Marissa's dd she wore a simple skater style dress over the top of her leotard and black tights. She did wear her New Yorkers as the only other shoes she had were lace up school shoes, Vans or trainers.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

VaguelyStagey wrote:My DD had decided to hold off this year, but has changed her mind and is now narrowing down her previous 8 favourites into a more manageable group given that’s shes also studying for A levels
Quite right to narrow down choices too x Although dd was eager to go for as many places as possible we ended up going for six auditions and by the end of alevels auditioning and pantomime she only just coped and it was so hard going x Goodluck x
VaguelyStagey
Nominee

Post by VaguelyStagey »

Thanks Marissa, DD has drama performances every term so I’m hoping the school will advise on what’s a manageable number for her.
V impressed your DD managed 6! I think we’re looking at around half that
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

VaguelyStagey wrote:Thanks Marissa, DD has drama performances every term so I’m hoping the school will advise on what’s a manageable number for her.
V impressed your DD managed 6! I think we’re looking at around half that
It was exhausting! And to be honest her alevels although good did suffer I feel x luckily 3 were before Xmas and three after so that helped x
Felicity
GRAMMY Award

Post by Felicity »

Lmum wrote:Hi my DD is applying for BA musical theatre at the moment for Arts Ed, Mountview , GSA, RCS and Trinty Laban. She has an audition date for Arts Ed and the info they have sent says that candidates kept back after first round will be required to change into daywear for the next stage of monologues and workshop. Can anyone advise on what constitutes appropriate daywear? Also do you turn up in your dance wear as jazz workshop is first? What shoes would you wear with daywear outfit ? Any help re what to wear (or not) gratefully received - DD new to this and doesn't want to turn up in wrong things ! Would character shoes be ok as daywear ?
My DD is at Arts Ed doing the Foundation. She went to the audition in quite casual clothes. Trousers and a top. If I am remembering right, they get into their dance things straightaway. After the recall they can redress but then there is a physical exam where they need to wear sports top and shorts kind of thing (can’t quite remember). My advice would be for your DD to go with what she feels comfortable in and which she can change in and out of easily. Good luck to her for the audition!
VaguelyStagey
Nominee

Post by VaguelyStagey »

Hi Rhymie, thanks for the good wishes. DD did a summer course at BOV, which has confirmed it In her favourites. Can I ask you about how your DD found the audition experience? Any tips to help or things to avoid?
Apart from ageing several years! :D
Rhymie
BRIT Award

Post by Rhymie »

VaguelyStagey wrote:Hi Rhymie, thanks for the good wishes. DD did a summer course at BOV, which has confirmed it In her favourites. Can I ask you about how your DD found the audition experience? Any tips to help or things to avoid?
Apart from ageing several years! :D
Hi :-) My DS totally loved BOV from the minute he first auditioned at 18, which was too young for them. BOV is in 2 stages. !st stage is a 15 min audition. Get there half an hour before your appointment because there is a sight reading sheet, the extra half an hour means she will have lots of time to get familiar with it. She will need a contemporary monologue and a contrasting Jacobean (Shakespeare always appropriate) make sure both pieces are parts she would be cast for, not massive roles that she would never be cast in at her age, they are looking for her to know her type. They are 2 mins each and will stop her if she goes over. Then a song, this should be from a musical and they want to see her "act" it, they dont care if she is a great singer, its the interpretation of the song they want. The sight reading should be the same, very animated as if she is reading for a child. Then a brief interview, just be very honest in this, if she watched movies and not plays then just say that.
You will hear back within 4 days if she has been recalled to the all day workshop. Happy to go through all that detail with you if she gets through :-) then after the all day workshop they send an email with if they have made the shortlist and then they phone to make offers, followed by a confirmation email. Bristol are very fast at getting back to you following the audition, unlike some of the others.
Tips? DONT chose a monologue that isnt her age and profile and make sure she doesn't hold back at all. BOV loves characters and they only have 14 on their BA acting course so they are actually picking a cast. PM if you need more info :-) glad to help.