Auditioning for Sept 2019

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Robin64
BAFTA Award

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by Robin64 »

Sorry - to edit it was an easy walk to Camden from the premier Inn which was about a 15 minutes walk to central - I think it's the Hampstead one?
Newbe2018
GRAMMY Award

Post by Newbe2018 »

I definitely agree with the stress factor, you need to keep this to a minimum, not forgetting your dd's will need time to put a face full of make up on, so worth spending a little more to be as close as possible on audition day, but for open days you may want to stay a little further out. If it helps, I stuck to Travelodge's and Premier Inn's, you can create accounts so your bookings can be viewed in one place, which makes it easier to remember where you're staying for each audition/open day, I also found you can get cheaper hotels if you stay around 20 mins away in most cases if on a budget.

We had you cancel an audition last minute due to an injury, Travelodge were great, I had paid for the non change of mind booking, but as I had an account with plenty on there, they were happy to reschedule the booking for when we needed it. The premier Inn in Sidcup is lovely, be sure to book early to get the better prices, plus remember you have the room till 11.30 so you can go back once dd is dropped off for a couple of hours. Make the most of your bookings, you will have hours to fill x
Barton285
BRIT Award

Post by Barton285 »

Grange hotels in London offer day rooms, bit expensive but then by time you've paid for coffee here there and everywhere it wasn't too bad. I did Grange Holburn which was a treat when it was a cold wet day for hanging around for urdang audition and as it was a Sunday it included breakfast too as well as use of spa facilities, wifi and tea and coffee in room and me time!
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

We stayed at many strange bed and breakfasts in London that I wouldn’t necessarily recommend as we were on a very tight budget. The Trvaelodge in Epsom was great for Laine. There really isn’t much to do there so paying for a 2pm check out was a smart move.

I’ve visited lots of cinemas to take my mind off it!
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on Emil Dale. DC auditioning for 6th form and it is his first choice. Would love to hear anyone’s experiences of audition or share any knowledge of actual attendance on the 6th form course. DC would have to live in academy approved accommodation and would love to hear of anyone’s experience of this too. After audition, how long before results are out?

I understand they are changing audition format this year and not everyone will be required all day. I was told this is not indicative of succes or failure but just that the panel have seen enough of that particular student to make a decision and they don’t want to keep students unnecessarily. Also seems odd to me that they hold auditions and open days on the same day. Auditions start at 10 and open days at 12, seems like that will be a mad day!
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

Sorry I can't answer your questions regarding the course or accommodation but we are also wondering how they will manage the Open Day and auditions. They say that you get shown round on audition day. Really don't know how they'll do it. DD is auditioning and her friend is just attending the Open Day but both on the same day. DD does the Sundays there and we are very impressed with the whole set up - true musical theatre intense training given enthusiastically and professionally. It's probably a mistake of ours to be auditioning so early, but DD can't do Saturdays so she took the Monday slot in case there weren't any more Mondays offered!
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

My daughter has just started 6th form and is loving it so far,she was successful at Tring and Brit but loved here most of all.
It really is worth going to see for yourself, let them worry about how they will sort the day out and just let your's enjoy it.With regards to accommodation this was the most stressful part for me and at one stage thought she wouldn't find anything.
You are put in touch with host families and then it is up to you to visit and decide where you prefer, we were put in touch with 3 .
Audition day was jazz class,monologue and a song but as you say it has changed now .
As a parent I am impressed with the honesty and transparency of the college.
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

Thank you both for your replies.

As they give out places as they audition I think it’s a good idea to audition early. I also think it takes a bit of pressure off if they get offered a place. We went to watch Sweeny Todd earlier in the year and my son decided then and there that it is the place for him - loved the talent and the people he met.

Good luck to your dd amo185 and many congratulations lotsolaffs to your dd, I hope she continues to love her training. I truly believe things work out for the best, it’s just really nice if the ‘best’ is just what you want!
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Harry2003 just sending you a PM
Newbe2018
GRAMMY Award

Post by Newbe2018 »

Oh I thought I would just mention, all our auditions fell on a week day, it was only Urdang that was on a Sunday, working parents make sure you hold back on some holiday. Xx
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Newbe2018 wrote:Oh I thought I would just mention, all our auditions fell on a week day, it was only Urdang that was on a Sunday, working parents make sure you hold back on some holiday. Xx
That’s a good shout! GSA was a Saturday and LSC too but the rest were weekdays for us too. I think Laine only do holiday weeks so that is better for DCs who are in education still but doesn’t help parents annual leave.
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

After DD1, 4 years ago, and DD2, 3 years ago, both auditioning for dancing colleges and both being accepted at London Studio Centre (DD1 actually graduated in July and has a residency as a choreographer at the moment), it's time for DD3! Luckily, we don't have a 4th one!

DD3 is a straight acting girl after having done years of dancing. She's applying to GSA, Central, Guildhall, RCS, RWCMD & Birmingham Conservatoire. Fingers crossed!

Any info on auditioning at these schools would be great. Any info I can provide on LSC, please ask!

Good luck to everybody!
Yorkshirepudding
GRAMMY Award

Post by Yorkshirepudding »

DS1 who was always the quiet academic one (DS3 is the performer) has decided to throw us an exciting curve ball and not to put in a UCAS form and to apply to Guildhall for Sept 2019

He is applying for music so not the same sphere of perfornance as the rest of you, but I thought you might recognise that feeling of combined 'YIKES' and 'YAY' when a DC is very clear on what they want and it also feels very scary and high risk.

Good luck everybody. I'm starting to feel a bit queasy.
DGtherunner
BRIT Award

Post by DGtherunner »

Scarytimes wrote:
Just read your blog DG. Excellent work. You have covered everything I would say in a very clear way. I would recommend that all those going for it this year have a read!
Thank you Scarytimes!
Tortoise
Nominee

Post by Tortoise »

There were some issues at Italia Conti earlier this year. Does anyone know if there are any plans to move from Barbican?