Auditioning for Sept 2019

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

bro1234
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by bro1234 »

Hi proudmumof-2

My DD is 16 and in her first year on the 3 year diploma, and enjoying every moment. We live close enough so she can live at home. If you accept the place they will send you out a list of accommodation and host families for you to contact nearer the time. Congrats x
proudmumof-2
Nominee

Post by proudmumof-2 »

bro1234 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:42 pm Hi proudmumof-2

My DD is 16 and in her first year on the 3 year diploma, and enjoying every moment. We live close enough so she can live at home. If you accept the place they will send you out a list of accommodation and host families for you to contact nearer the time. Congrats x
Thank you bro1234, great to hear your DD is enjoying it & lucky enough to live nearby. I have accepted the place so will wait to hear from Bird. Thanks again x
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

proudmumof-2 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:01 pm Hi I am new to this forum :D
My daughter was lucky to be offered a place on the day on the Diploma course at Bird college starting this Sept, she is only 16 so needs to be with a host family. Can anyone let me have any advice on host families within Sidcup. Wishing lots of luck to those still on the audition trail :)
Congrats on the offer for your DD Proudmumof2

Our DD is at Bird on the Degree course and loves the college. We are also landlords and rent out a room to a Bird student. We only take 17+ (the cost of annual DBS checks for the entire household is quite restrictive)

The college will send out an accommodation list and, from what I recall, there are quite a few families that take on 16 year olds. Be prepared though, it is a bit of mad scramble at first. Make sure your DD joins the facebook freshers group and registry pages as people will often post details of their landlords if they are moving on / leaving college

Good luck in the hunt and shout if I can be of any other help
Givemestrength22
Nominee

Post by Givemestrength22 »

Help and advice needed please.....a few may remember we were awaiting a reply from GSA following DDs Acting audition. It was a no.... however, we have been given a chance to transfer our application to another course. ‘Theatre and Performance’ ...
I rang to ask if this was the norm after receiving a no for the Acting and was told that it was because of her academic ability, grades, subjects taken in GCSE and A level etc. She will have to attend an interview and has the opportunity to take part in workshops, attend a talk, tour etc.
Has anybody else been offered or taken up this course? Apparently it’s 50/50 for practical/academic and DD is a bright girl.
Sallyanne123
Nominee

Post by Sallyanne123 »

The Theatre and Performance course at GSA is very different to the BA Acting course, it is far more theoretical and not much Acting involved, so if your daughter is set on becoming an Actor in the future it is possibly not the best path to take. However if she wants to gain a wider experience of the industry and give herself more options in the future other than solely performing then it may be worth considering.
Givemestrength22
Nominee

Sallyanne thank you... this is as we thought, we have done some research and spoken to the college.
Decisions! X
DebbieDOos
Nominee

Post by DebbieDOos »

Congratulations for the offer, I would say if you live local go back for the interview. If your DC wants Surrey University / GSA on her CV then she will get that, my daughters friend goes there she loves it (she got BBC in her A levels) and they do still spend much time in the theatre and wear the GSA hoodies and are part of the GSA "luvies" with other students currently and has lots of opportunity to perform but it has been an academic degree.
BUT
the other courses are changing for 2019 to be more practical so how they run the Theatre and Performance course from 2019 may be very different if the staff are spending more time in the theatre on the BA Acting course that may mean less time for the other or may mean more contact hours for T&P if they are employing more staff?
so I would check and do the visit before you rule out - getting an offer is brilliant achievement but gauging it on current/prior year may not be accurate so I think DC need to bite bullet and take a trip to Surrey

when I went to openday all 3 of students showing our group around were there older and accepted on 4 or 5th attempt. One of the other mums on here has said this years intake is other way round with most being 18 so who knows what Surrey are going to be looking for in 2019?
Givemestrength22
Nominee

Wow DebbieDOos, this is a great help!....she is definitely going to attend the day and see for herself, ask all the questions and take it from there. There are still reserve lists and recalls and one more audition to do but just trying to cover every angle and make the right choice.
In some ways I can’t wait for this process to be over and in others I’ll miss it terribly!
Good luck to everyone still waiting for results and congratulations to all with a positive outcome so far xx
lynne
GRAMMY Award

Post by lynne »

Hi, Anyone know anything about the Trinity Laban foundation course? Time they start and finish, how many hours, do they get 1:1 singing etc
Also anyone who has done it was it worth the money? Can they get hb or not? sorry for so many questions. dd just been offered foundation :D
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

lynne wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:05 pm Hi, Anyone know anything about the Trinity Laban foundation course? Time they start and finish, how many hours, do they get 1:1 singing etc
Also anyone who has done it was it worth the money? Can they get hb or not? sorry for so many questions. dd just been offered foundation :D

It’s difficult to answer ‘is it worth the money?’
That’s your personal choice I suppose
For us the foundation at Mountview was necessary and definitely needed doing to be in a better position for any BA offers the following year but of course many don’t get BA offers, even after a foundation - if it’s doable financially and it’s all that’s on the table it’s a great intense year of training to prepare for future BA auditions x
Ps: well done to your DD x

Just so you know, only 3 or 4 from current foundation year have been offered BA for this September at TL (obviously some will have offers elsewhere too) x
lynne
GRAMMY Award

Post by lynne »

Thanks Sherbert
Do you know what the hours are like for the foundation and also the start times (looking at the possibility of commuting) Also is housing benefit out of the question now?
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

Hi Lynne x
I’m not sure on foundation hours at Trinity - I’m sure if you emailed or called the office they would tell you the hours or a typical weekly timetable
And I have no idea on housing benefit ](*,)
All I know is when my son did his foundation I got no help at all with any costs and it was a really expensive year with no guarantees what would happen at the end of it all
Sorry x
sailorgirluae
BRIT Award

Post by sailorgirluae »

Supper frustrated - DS has his ArtsEd audition tomorrow and he has come down with a throat infection 😥😥. Phone Arts but no spaces left on any of the remaining auditions so rescheduling isn’t an option! 🙏 he feels better tomorrow.
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

Really hope your DS feels better tomorrow and is able to nail his audition. Do feel for youngsters who are suffering from illnesses at this crucial time of the year - especially if colleges refuse to reschedule. All the best to him x
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

sailorgirluae wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:32 am Supper frustrated - DS has his ArtsEd audition tomorrow and he has come down with a throat infection 😥😥. Phone Arts but no spaces left on any of the remaining auditions so rescheduling isn’t an option! 🙏 he feels better tomorrow.
Oh no! Wishing him all the best. I’m sure he will rise above it somehow. I remember having to reschedule GSA first round last year as DS woke on the morning with headache and too dizzy to stand up!