Auditioning for Sept 2019

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Kingswayqueen
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by Kingswayqueen »

Tiptaptoe wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:51 pm Hi all,

Hope everyone is doing well and for anyone's DC I hope the settling in stage is going smoothly! Just an update for anyone still waiting to hear from Bird. DDs friend was told at the start of the summer that she was on the middle of the reserve for both diploma and degree and that it was unlikely however yesterday she got offered a place on their Diploma course which is excellent! So for any of you still holding out, dont worry as there is still time and seems to still be movement even in the final week, good luck to anyone still waiting to hear, thinking of you all!
Oh wow that's fabulous news, congratulations to your friend's DD! We were asked if we would consider the diploma if a space came up but we had to decline due to the funding of it. My DD is still on the reserve for Bird, but is moving into her accommodation in Manchester for The Arden on Tuesday - not sure if getting a call now would be good or not! I hope everyone's DC on here are settling/settle in well over the next few weeks - God knows they've all worked so hard to get where they are - AND the parents :D =D> xxx
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Just wanted to say Good Luck to everyone starting their diploma at Bird College today
hewood
BRIT Award

Post by hewood »

My daughter is on the Gap course at EDA and loving every minute of it - it is full on!

I just wanted people to know that she was eligible for Universal Credit which has covered almost all of her housing costs and she was also eligible for income support which is tested on her income. It has made the costs much more manageable. It is two meetings at the Job Centre, who were very friendly. One to bring the tenancy agreement, proof of course and ID and the second one was very quick and just confirms that they are unable to look for work whilst studying. It is well worth applying if you are on a non-higher education course and 21 and under (I think that is the age restriction)

I think it would be fine for the dc's to attend on their own as long as they made it quite clear that they were on a further education course not a higher education course, and had all the relevant information with them. The interview is not at all intimidating so no worries there either. Hope this helps
Moonfaery
BRIT Award

Post by Moonfaery »

hewood wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:49 pm My daughter is on the Gap course at EDA and loving every minute of it - it is full on!

I just wanted people to know that she was eligible for Universal Credit which has covered almost all of her housing costs and she was also eligible for income support which is tested on her income. It has made the costs much more manageable. It is two meetings at the Job Centre, who were very friendly. One to bring the tenancy agreement, proof of course and ID and the second one was very quick and just confirms that they are unable to look for work whilst studying. It is well worth applying if you are on a non-higher education course and 21 and under (I think that is the age restriction)

I think it would be fine for the dc's to attend on their own as long as they made it quite clear that they were on a further education course not a higher education course, and had all the relevant information with them. The interview is not at all intimidating so no worries there either. Hope this helps
Hi Hewood. That’s really interesting and great to hear.
My dd is 16 and has just started sixth form there. Also loving it! She lives with a host family, do you think she would be eligible?
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Unlike the old system for Universal Credit you generally have to be 18 or over apart from exceptional circumstances.
Kingswayqueen
BRIT Award

Post by Kingswayqueen »

Just a quick update - my DD was/is on the Bird reserve list but has now started at The Arden Theatre School in Manchester. I have to say that the college DOES choose you - Arden wanted my DD 2 days after her audition, Bird's reserve list hardly moved this year. My DD is LOVING Arden, in college 9-5 or 6 every day, been put in Advanced for all dance classes and been asked to go to additional dance classes. All the worry and stress of the unknown all gone, she's found her place and she is working so hard and loving it. For all those worrying about getting into the 'right' place, I do feel she's in the right place for her, she can spread her wings and grow and also enjoy the journey. Thank goodness she's on her way, I don't think I could have coped with another year of auditions and the 'unknown' xxx
MTlover123
BRIT Award

Post by MTlover123 »

Agree with you wholeheartedly, so glad it’s all working out for you both. I was asked last night by a friend whose dd is about to go through the process this year and I said it sounds cliched but there is a gut feeling and you and the college seem to choose each other. Hope your DV has a fabulous 3 years xx
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Kingswayqueen wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:47 pm Just a quick update - my DD was/is on the Bird reserve list but has now started at The Arden Theatre School in Manchester. I have to say that the college DOES choose you - Arden wanted my DD 2 days after her audition, Bird's reserve list hardly moved this year. My DD is LOVING Arden, in college 9-5 or 6 every day, been put in Advanced for all dance classes and been asked to go to additional dance classes. All the worry and stress of the unknown all gone, she's found her place and she is working so hard and loving it. For all those worrying about getting into the 'right' place, I do feel she's in the right place for her, she can spread her wings and grow and also enjoy the journey. Thank goodness she's on her way, I don't think I could have coped with another year of auditions and the 'unknown' xxx
That is great to hear. So glad your DD is flying at Arden As with you I'm a total believer that the college chooses you. Now you get to relax
Kingswayqueen
BRIT Award

Post by Kingswayqueen »

Munchpot wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:38 am
Kingswayqueen wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:47 pm Just a quick update - my DD was/is on the Bird reserve list but has now started at The Arden Theatre School in Manchester. I have to say that the college DOES choose you - Arden wanted my DD 2 days after her audition, Bird's reserve list hardly moved this year. My DD is LOVING Arden, in college 9-5 or 6 every day, been put in Advanced for all dance classes and been asked to go to additional dance classes. All the worry and stress of the unknown all gone, she's found her place and she is working so hard and loving it. For all those worrying about getting into the 'right' place, I do feel she's in the right place for her, she can spread her wings and grow and also enjoy the journey. Thank goodness she's on her way, I don't think I could have coped with another year of auditions and the 'unknown' xxx
That is great to hear. So glad your DD is flying at Arden As with you I'm a total believer that the college chooses you. Now you get to relax
Yes finally! How are everyone else's DD's and DS's getting on? xx
Kingswayqueen
BRIT Award

Post by Kingswayqueen »

MTlover123 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:30 pm Agree with you wholeheartedly, so glad it’s all working out for you both. I was asked last night by a friend whose dd is about to go through the process this year and I said it sounds cliched but there is a gut feeling and you and the college seem to choose each other. Hope your DV has a fabulous 3 years xx
Ah thank you! She says it's very full on (she's in 9-5 or 9-6 every day) and tends to eat, sleep, repeat in the week and has fun on the weekend :) xxx
Littleone
BRIT Award

Post by Littleone »

Kingswayqueen that's great to hear ! :D

For DD it is exactly the same ...prior to starting her auditions we had preconceived ideas re her 'top choices' but Urdang 'chose' her (was on Performers and Bird Reserve) and she is loving it in London ! She feels it is exactly the right place for her - long may it continue :D

Hoping all other 2019 starters are having similar experiences !
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Can someone who has applied via UCAS last year give us an idea of how long it took from submitting the application to getting an audition date through from GSA please.
Unfortunately due to an error with a reference we have been told that the application can't be processed until the end of November.
Has anyone ever submitted the application and sent the reference later?
Thanks
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

lotsolaffs wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:39 am Can someone who has applied via UCAS last year give us an idea of how long it took from submitting the application to getting an audition date through from GSA please.
Unfortunately due to an error with a reference we have been told that the application can't be processed until the end of November.
Has anyone ever submitted the application and sent the reference later?
Thanks
My daughter auditioned twice with GSA the audition dates came through within hours of her UCAS application being submitted as I remember, she was given a choice of around 3 dates.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Thank you kzgirl, I am wondering if we are worrying unnecessarily, I know the whole process is out of our control but very,very frustrating when we are fully prepared and ready to go and someone messes up and I only found that out by chance ,so really I am very annoyed too.
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

lotsolaffs wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:53 am Thank you kzgirl, I am wondering if we are worrying unnecessarily, I know the whole process is out of our control but very,very frustrating when we are fully prepared and ready to go and someone messes up and I only found that out by chance ,so really I am very annoyed too.
Sounds very stressful. I would agree with kzgirl, but I know they carry on first round auditions until at least January. DS had to cancel first one in December due to illness and there was no problem then finding a slot in early January, so you should have no problems.