Auditioning for Sept 2019

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

becmum
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by becmum »

Battlingpeanut this happened to my daughter she had her first audition at Performers which was her first choice as had been to summer school and fell in love with the place, won an award and invited to elite training so I think felt she had a good chance when applying....when the foundation offer came she was so disappointed but it certainly spurred her on for the next auditions!! So although upset it was great to see her get the bit between her teeth and really work for the next one...so keep going they will all end up where they are supposed to be! And at 15, same as my Dd, they have time on their side...so good luck with the rest of the auditions 🍀
Kingswayqueen
BRIT Award

Post by Kingswayqueen »

BattlingPeanut wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:00 pm Hi all. We got the Bird letter today. DD got offered the 1 year foundation. She was a bit disappointed to not get the diploma but she knows she’s lucky it wasn’t a no! She’s 15 so still has plenty of time (I have to keep reminding her!) More auditions coming up - so keep fingers crossed. Well done to everyone who got offers or reserve for Bird. And good luck to everyone who waiting!
Well done to your DD! My DD got offered the foundation last year (aged 18) but decided to have a gap year, improve her dancing, get a job, pass her driving test and just get more experience - plus the cost really made it not an easy option. Getting offered the foundation is brilliant! Fingers crossed for the next auditions, I know it all seems devastating not getting the offer you think is the best for you, but in a year or 2 it will all be part of her journey and make her better and stronger x
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

BattlingPeanut wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:00 pm Hi all. We got the Bird letter today. DD got offered the 1 year foundation. She was a bit disappointed to not get the diploma but she knows she’s lucky it wasn’t a no! She’s 15 so still has plenty of time (I have to keep reminding her!) More auditions coming up - so keep fingers crossed. Well done to everyone who got offers or reserve for Bird. And good luck to everyone who waiting!
Congratulations to your DD on the Foundation offer. In her first round of auditions my DD was offered, amongst others, Diploma at Performers but Bird was her dream college. When she got offered Foundation at Bird she thought her world had ended. I ended up, randomly, speaking to a 3rd year on the train one evening and she told me that she wished she had done the foundations as the 'foundies' in her year seemed so much stronger.

DD wanted to take up the offer, we tightened out belts and made it work. She loved the Foundation year and is now halfway through her first 'full year' at Bird and doesn't regret turning down Performers offer and taking up the foundation. When we spoke to Luis De Abreu at Move It that year about the Foundation course and he said 'It's the best and worst audition process. If you work hard and commit then you have a year to show those who audition how good you are. If you mess around and don't commit you've spent the year showing those who audition you how much you don't want to be at the college'

Whatever your DD decides at 15 it's a great offer and good luck for the rest of the process. Just thought I'd throw my opinion in the mix as a 'Foundie Dad'
BattlingPeanut
BRIT Award

Post by BattlingPeanut »

Thanks everyone for your comments and sharing your experiences. You have all been so helpful. I think the initial disappointment has worn off now and she is feeling much happier about the offer. Munchpot - your comments are particular interesting about how the Foundation students are seen and it’s great to hear you DD thought it was worthwhile. It is certainly something we will consider once all auditions are out of the way. Thank you. becmum - your DD sounds like one determined young lady - I hope this spurs my DD on too! Kingswayqueen- I completely agree about this being part of their journey - I do believe everything for a reason!

Ps - I love this forum! It’s such a help. :D
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

My DD got offered Foundation at Bird & Performers last year and chose Performers. Looking back she said she wasn't ready at the time of auditioning having now done 6 months of full time Pre-Voc training. She says that the Pre Voc students at Performers work at the same pace if not harder than those on Year 1 and her strength and flexibility has noticeably improved.
She is now preparing for the next round of auditions for a 3 year course and does of course have the usual nerves. You should feel proud to be offered a Foundation course as the panel has seen something in your DD but feel they are either too young or are not quite ready for the 3 year course. Thousands of students audition at these colleges each year so to be offered a place, even on the Foundation course deserves congratulations.
Givemestrength22
Nominee

Post by Givemestrength22 »

Evening all, I am new to the forum and am loving all the news and advice. My DD is on the reserve list for Bird also, it’s her first choice so we are trying to stay positive...also have had one recall so far and one rejection. Two more auditions to go! X
Kingswayqueen
BRIT Award

Post by Kingswayqueen »

Givemestrength22 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:56 pm Evening all, I am new to the forum and am loving all the news and advice. My DD is on the reserve list for Bird also, it’s her first choice so we are trying to stay positive...also have had one recall so far and one rejection. Two more auditions to go! X
Well done to your DD, guess we'll be travelling this journey together! My DD loved it at Bird so she's really hoping she gets in. I would like to know how many spaces they have, how many firm offers they give out and how many go on the reserve list - sounds like a logistical nightmare to me! One of my DD's friend's has got a straight offer from Bird which is amazing, I know not many get that letter! Where else has your DD got to audition for Givemestrength22? x
Givemestrength22
Nominee

Post by Givemestrength22 »

Hi Kingswayqueen, my DD still has GSA for the Acting degree and Italia Conti for Musical theatre but that one isn’t till May! I’m wandering if this is a good or a bad thing....the waiting is awful and yes, oh to have a crystal ball. Finding out where they are on the list should help nearer the time but a firm offer is so much nicer! Please keep me posted on reserve list news and good luck to your DD too x
arianadrama
BRIT Award

Post by arianadrama »

DS has just been to his GSA recall and at the end of the panel interview after lunch was offered a place on the BA MT course!!! He is thrilled! We can't quite believe it tbh! We are so relieved! He's on singing recall for Arts Ed, 3rd round LAMDA, and MV foundation after being rejected for degree so to get this offer is a dream come true for him!
becmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by becmum »

Fantastic well done to your DS!! A great achievement and a relief for you i’m Sure 👍
BattlingPeanut
BRIT Award

Post by BattlingPeanut »

arianadrama wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:09 pm DS has just been to his GSA recall and at the end of the panel interview after lunch was offered a place on the BA MT course!!! He is thrilled! We can't quite believe it tbh! We are so relieved! He's on singing recall for Arts Ed, 3rd round LAMDA, and MV foundation after being rejected for degree so to get this offer is a dream come true for him!
That’s fantastic news! Congrats to your DS. Celebrations tonight!!
smallbythesea
BRIT Award

Post by smallbythesea »

arianadrama wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:09 pm DS has just been to his GSA recall and at the end of the panel interview after lunch was offered a place on the BA MT course!!! He is thrilled! We can't quite believe it tbh! We are so relieved! He's on singing recall for Arts Ed, 3rd round LAMDA, and MV foundation after being rejected for degree so to get this offer is a dream come true for him!
Congratulations =D> I wish there was a like button on this forum :D
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Congratulations to your DS. Hard work has paid off. Well done
Lmum
BRIT Award

Post by Lmum »

Fantastic news - congrats to you and your DS :D
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Brilliant news - takes me back to last year. PM me if he decides this is the one and you want more info on what to expect. Mind you, sounds like it may be changing a bit if they really aren't doing any written work at all from next year.