Auditioning for Sept 2019

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

afab
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by afab »

Audition date confirmed for my DD at Guildhall for November :? :?
Any advice form previous years? Anything would be useful...
Thanks
VaguelyStagey
Nominee

Post by VaguelyStagey »

Rhymie - you’re a total star, thank you x
:D
Rhymie
BRIT Award

Post by Rhymie »

VaguelyStagey wrote:Rhymie - you’re a total star, thank you x
:D
so welcome :-) been there worn the Tshirt ;-)
Rhymie
BRIT Award

Post by Rhymie »

afab wrote:Audition date confirmed for my DD at Guildhall for November :? :?
Any advice form previous years? Anything would be useful...
Thanks
OK so this is the weirdest audition of all the Acting schools. Your DD is either in a morning or afternoon group and it will start with a group warm-up which consists of some acting games and group acting improv. She should be very forefront at this! Then they all sit together around a conf table (or similar) with 2nd or 3rd years and will each be called one by one for their interview. (doesn't matter what you do here around this table, although some people will say it does, it really doesn't)
The individual is again a contemporary and a classical, this time 3 minutes (Guildhall will only let you audition 3 times) This is a confusing audition because you either have it or you don't. You will be stopped in either monologue and told to "do it as yourself and stop acting" This is a very odd direction. They know what they are looking for and you either can do this, or you cant. It's untaught and something they are looking for. My only tip is that your DD chose monologues so close to herself and her personal experiences that she understands the direction so, don't choose a piece with suicide unless she has actually contemplated this! better to look for something more natural and conversational. same with Shakespeare, choose very close to self and act very close to self. No drama and NO performance (this is different to lots of the other schools who want personality!) hope that helps. PM if needed :-)
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

Wow! Thank you so much Rhymie! :D :D
I'll share all of that with DD and if she has questions, I'll message you.
Rhymie
BRIT Award

Post by Rhymie »

afab wrote:Wow! Thank you so much Rhymie! :D :D
welcome :D
Lmum
BRIT Award

Post by Lmum »

Felicity wrote:
Lmum wrote:Hi my DD is applying for BA musical theatre at the moment for Arts Ed, Mountview , GSA, RCS and Trinty Laban. She has an audition date for Arts Ed and the info they have sent says that candidates kept back after first round will be required to change into daywear for the next stage of monologues and workshop. Can anyone advise on what constitutes appropriate daywear? Also do you turn up in your dance wear as jazz workshop is first? What shoes would you wear with daywear outfit ? Any help re what to wear (or not) gratefully received - DD new to this and doesn't want to turn up in wrong things ! Would character shoes be ok as daywear ?
My DD is at Arts Ed doing the Foundation. She went to the audition in quite casual clothes. Trousers and a top. If I am remembering right, they get into their dance things straightaway. After the recall they can redress but then there is a physical exam where they need to wear sports top and shorts kind of thing (can’t quite remember). My advice would be for your DD to go with what she feels comfortable in and which she can change in and out of easily. Good luck to her for the audition!

Thanks Felicity that’s a big help as she feels she’d rather wear smart casual trousers and smart top as that’s more her style . Hope your DD enjoying her Foundation year - Arts Ed is my DD’s preferred school so fingers crossed ! Any audition day advice or tips ?
Rhymie
BRIT Award

Post by Rhymie »

Rhymie wrote:
afab wrote:Wow! Thank you so much Rhymie! :D :D
welcome :D
Actually forgot to add, that your DD will be told if she has a recall by the end of the day. If she can't stay until they have all auditioned (groups of about 15 in the morning and similar in the afternoon) then she can call the number they will give her the next day or end of that day. Callbacks for Guildhall can be 0 on the day, but 1 or 2 from each session are more typical
Felicity
GRAMMY Award

Post by Felicity »

Lmum wrote:
Felicity wrote:
Lmum wrote:Hi my DD is applying for BA musical theatre at the moment for Arts Ed, Mountview , GSA, RCS and Trinty Laban. She has an audition date for Arts Ed and the info they have sent says that candidates kept back after first round will be required to change into daywear for the next stage of monologues and workshop. Can anyone advise on what constitutes appropriate daywear? Also do you turn up in your dance wear as jazz workshop is first? What shoes would you wear with daywear outfit ? Any help re what to wear (or not) gratefully received - DD new to this and doesn't want to turn up in wrong things ! Would character shoes be ok as daywear ?
My DD is at Arts Ed doing the Foundation. She went to the audition in quite casual clothes. Trousers and a top. If I am remembering right, they get into their dance things straightaway. After the recall they can redress but then there is a physical exam where they need to wear sports top and shorts kind of thing (can’t quite remember). My advice would be for your DD to go with what she feels comfortable in and which she can change in and out of easily. Good luck to her for the audition!

Thanks Felicity that’s a big help as she feels she’d rather wear smart casual trousers and smart top as that’s more her style . Hope your DD enjoying her Foundation year - Arts Ed is my DD’s preferred school so fingers crossed ! Any audition day advice or tips ?
DD is loving Arts Ed. The Foundation course seems very intense with a focus on technique and fitness. She has to sign in by 8.15am and is often not home until after 7pm with lots scheduled every day. Very challenging and very enjoyable stuff!
Re your question about audition tips, make sure she has a strong legit song that really suits her voice and personality. Apparently they often (but not always) ask for the legit song in the first round and then the contemporary one at recall.
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

Rhymie wrote:
Rhymie wrote:
afab wrote:
Actually forgot to add, that your DD will be told if she has a recall by the end of the day. If she can't stay until they have all auditioned (groups of about 15 in the morning and similar in the afternoon) then she can call the number they will give her the next day or end of that day. Callbacks for Guildhall can be 0 on the day, but 1 or 2 from each session are more typical
Thanks again Rhymie!
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

So, this waiting for audition results is killing me! My son had his audition for EDA 6th form almost 2 weeks ago and they did say results would be about 2 weeks. This is my second time at the rodeo as elder DS is currently at Tring but this seems harder this time around!

I’m starting to feel quite negative about his prospects as he was let out in the first group as they said they had seen enough to make a decision - but still no word. He is a very strong actor and singer but stopped dance after grade 2 ballet when he was 7!!
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

Gosh it's nerve wracking. DD has an audition there in a couple of weeks for 6th form too. Her friend auditioned on September 29th and hasn't heard yet. She was recalled for monologue but told my dd that being recalled didn't matter as they can see enough (positively) without the need for the recall. There appear to be hundreds auditioning. Good luck! :)
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

Thanks amo. Well I guess he is either an absolute yes or an absolute no! I hate the waiting (as I’m sure we all do) I just want to know so we can move on - I never really worry about it being a no, as I view it as just not the right place for him and there will be other places and other opportunities. The disappointment (as his first choice) will be momentary and something he will have to learn to deal with anyway. Hope your dd enjoys her audition and gets what she wants.
Livvyvicky
GRAMMY Award

Post by Livvyvicky »

It took 5 weeks for our offer and they really do mean it when they say they have seen enough :)
BattlingPeanut
BRIT Award

Post by BattlingPeanut »

Harry2003 wrote:Thanks amo. Well I guess he is either an absolute yes or an absolute no! I hate the waiting (as I’m sure we all do) I just want to know so we can move on - I never really worry about it being a no, as I view it as just not the right place for him and there will be other places and other opportunities. The disappointment (as his first choice) will be momentary and something he will have to learn to deal with anyway. Hope your dd enjoys her audition and gets what she wants.
Hi Harry2003. Any news for your son. I keep checking this thread to see if he’s heard. I hope he got good news. And if he didn’t, I hope he’s not too disappointed. Would love to hear anyway.