Medical insurance

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

siohip
GRAMMY Award

Medical insurance

Post by siohip »

Well done to all DC starting in September, and those trying for next September.
Anyone got any sage advice re medical insurance I know some colleges recommend. It strikes me as a reasonable thing to do as injury is a real threat. Have had a quick search and seems a tad expensive, wondering if anyone had found reasonable cover for a reasonable price.
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Re: Medical insurance

Post by Scarytimes »

siohip wrote:Well done to all DC starting in September, and those trying for next September.
Anyone got any sage advice re medical insurance I know some colleges recommend. It strikes me as a reasonable thing to do as injury is a real threat. Have had a quick search and seems a tad expensive, wondering if anyone had found reasonable cover for a reasonable price.
Just thinking the same thing!
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

I don't think dd ever had medical insurance when she was at Bodyworks. They had an on-site medical person there who treated any injuries, or packed them off to A+E if it was serious.
I don't recall anyone needing anything major treated. If there is a problem you can ask your GP to recommend you to the Dancer's Clinic which is based in London which I believe is a free service. :D

https://www.rnoh.nhs.uk/our-services/sp ... e-medicine

Most of the top colleges should have a physio on site.
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
siohip
GRAMMY Award

Post by siohip »

jasmine2 wrote:I don't think dd ever had medical insurance when she was at Bodyworks. They had an on-site medical person there who treated any injuries, or packed them off to A+E if it was serious.
I don't recall anyone needing anything major treated. If there is a problem you can ask your GP to recommend you to the Dancer's Clinic which is based in London which I believe is a free service. :D

https://www.rnoh.nhs.uk/our-services/sp ... e-medicine

Most of the top colleges should have a physio on site.

Thank you, had forgotten re that clinic really useful
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

I pay £36 per month with Aviva for my daughter, it doesn't cover any existing medical conditions until you have been clear of illness for 2 years. The state the NHS is in I think you need the cover. My daughter has had to have her tonsils out over the Summer but the insurance linked it back to Glandular fever and she had been hospitalised four times in the last year so we had to pay for it to be done, daughter didn't qualify on the NHS for a tonsillectomy even though she was so ill. She couldn't go back to Uni without the tonsils out as they said there was a fitness to study issue. There are at least 4 other girls had tonsillectomies over the Summer it is a common issue at performing arts college or Uni. I couldn't believe how ill you can be when you need them out. Another common injury is ACL injury, we had a two year wait for that operation and an 18 month recovery when daughter was 15 years of age. I would recommend you take out insurance. Most Uni's colleges have a Physio on site but they are not free for paying students.
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

My DD is with AXA. We pay £31 per month. The reason that we decided to take it out was mainly for the X-ray/ scan part, so that if she injures herself, she can get seen to and sorted asap. We added on things like physio, as although there is one at her college, he tends to be very busy and seems to have limited appointments.
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

We had insurance through AXA PPP for the 1st 2 years of DDs training - a basic policy that you then add or remove option blocks to to tailor it to your requirements- we added the 'physio option block'. We had a claim on that policy for physio and found them quick and efficient. For DD's final year we went with Aviva. Taking out your insurance you need to check which insurance companies the college physio accepts or physio practices close to the college and you need to be prepared to phone around and discuss what you want.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Following x I have emailed The Hammond to see if they recommend insurers so hope to hear something x Otherwise I guess we will wait till she is there x