Leaving home essentials !

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Leaving home essentials !

Post by lotsolaffs »

Like many mine is moving away this September live with a host family.
We have tried to cover everything but what has been the most useful,obscure,least useful,wish I had remembered item/s that your DC ' S took, forgot or didn't need for moving away?
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Re: Leaving home essentials !

Post by Katymac »

Extension leads
Spare bags
travel mugs
Spare batteries
Blu/white tac
stain remover & instructions on how to use it
shoe cleaning
Spare phone chargers

Good luck
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Not sure if it will be needed for this degree but my other dd needed spare memory sticks to hand work in x
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

My daughter is in a studio flat so she needed all the usual domestic things. I would check if your DC has to completely empty her room during holidays as the students on my daughters course had to who were with host families. They just had a suitcase. Laundry mesh bags for washing leotards, a sewing kit and a small box with common ailment drugs in, a dictaphone and a good dance bag is a must.
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

If going to a dance college then Deep heat & freeze spray are a must.
Also the usual medicines for pain and colds etc...
They can get down if not feeling well.
Lots of photos in frames and make their room feel like theirs and nice and pretty.
I am assuming if living with a host then meals will be provided so no kitchen stuff needed.
A trip to Ikea is a must.
Fullmoon
BRIT Award

Post by Fullmoon »

I was just about to say Deep Heat / Freeze Spray, so I will add Muscle Soak or something similar for the bath (if they access to one) and a wheat bag or similar for the microwave! :D Lovely to cuddle up with when/if they’re feeling achy/cold/down etc x
Fullmoon
BRIT Award

Post by Fullmoon »

Oh! and an over radiator or similar airer to give extra space for drying/airing towels and other clothing bits x
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Thank you,some great tips.
Didn't think about extension lead,shoe polish and deep heat etc.
Keep them coming!
Livvyvicky
GRAMMY Award

Post by Livvyvicky »

Morning all,

Lots of good ideas.

One thing that I would do in advance is register as a temporary resident at the local doctors and make sure your dd/ds knows where it is and how to get there.
We were very lucky as when dd was poorly, her host mum phoned her doctor, got an appointment (i find the fact that she got an appointment the same day incredible, that wouldn't happen where we live :shock: ) took her, picked up the antibiotics and got her into college by 11.00am! As dd was 16 at the time we were very grateful. Especially as i was over an hour away and work full time.

I also added DD's address to my Amazon prime account- its amazing what you can sent on the same day ! :D
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

My DD actually transferred her Doctor while at Uni and when she returned home for the Summer re registered with Doctor at home. Don’t forget the HC1 form completion to get free prescriptions and dental if you have an NHS dentist.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Agree with sorting out the medical side. DD didn't change doctor as it was only a year foundation but in hindsight we should have. She ended up having to go to out of hours at the hospital for a throat infection and get anti-biotics.
If you get groceries home delivered you can add your DCs student address (we didn't normally use home delivery but I set it up for the year) Nice doing the occasional home delivery for them if they are really tired or busy (halls were not that close to a supermarket) then you can include a few treats too. It's good for them to look after themselves but I enjoyed sending a shop to help out a few times & it was appreciated on those winter weeks when they had a long day at college.
I bought DD a Costa gift card to take so she could treat herself to a cuppa sometimes.
In terms of odd things to remember -
Door wedge.
Pop up laundry basket
Will ask DD for tips to add to the list.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Dentist and doctor on the to do list,slightly feel I will run out of time, host family not cooking so we have been doing crash courses in a few meals.
Will definitely do a grocery delivery - great idea for the winter months.
Thank you
JayLou62
GRAMMY Award

Post by JayLou62 »

We got dd an electric clothes dryer and cover from Lakeland. It's been great to dry clothes during the winter months and doesn't use much electricity. Even dd's flatmate's parents bought one for their ds.
Dd also recommends a memory foam mattress topper for your bed. A computer or laptop for research for diploma/degree. Meal prepping/batch cooking - she does all her cooking at weekends so that she has meals handy for those long days.
JayLou62
GRAMMY Award

Post by JayLou62 »

Also, an A4 4 ring binder for singing - Bird are hot on this! Dd says they are hard to find.
princess1
BRIT Award

Post by princess1 »

I cooked extra for months in advance when doing the family meals then froze meals for my DD do that she didn't have to cook every night to start with! Also bought extra toiletries, toilet roll ect during my weekly shop so that she didn't have to buy those items for prob the 1st year!