'Best fit' schools/colleges post 18?

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

'Best fit' schools/colleges post 18?

Post by biscuitsneeded »

Would any of you seasoned parents be willing to stick your neck out and advance an opinion on what sort of performer should apply where for MT? I've read a lot on these boards and have gleaned that Bird, Laine etc are very pretty dance-focused, while Central and the conservatoires might be mostly about the singing - or not? DS wants to do MT (he's only in Year 9 so we have time) and would be looking for quite a balanced triple threat course. He'll never be the very best in any one discipline but he is decent at all 3. He's been in pro panto several times and we've noticed, for example, that often the leading lady has an amazing belt voice but can't really dance, or the ensemble dancers can move amazingly and sing well enough but when they have an occasional line to deliver they're actually a bit lame. DS needs somewhere that is equally strong on all 3 skills. I don't mean to sound superior - there will always be a better singer/dancer/actor than DS but what he does have going for him is not having a major weakness either. I am liking the look of Trinity Laban and GSA (he is academic), and we would need a degree course and student finance so I think the private colleges are out. Can anyone recommend others we should look at? Thanks.
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Re: 'Best fit' schools/colleges post 18?

Post by biscuitsneeded »

Ps That all sounds horribly presumptuous. Am well aware how hard it is to get in anywhere and he'll be very very lucky if he gets on a course, but I don't know how he should go about narrowing down the field!
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

Unfortunately I don’t think I can give you any advice, but I’m so glad you posted this as we have the same dilemma (year 9 dd and I). Following with interest x
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

biscuitsneeded wrote:Ps That all sounds horribly presumptuous. Am well aware how hard it is to get in anywhere and he'll be very very lucky if he gets on a course, but I don't know how he should go about narrowing down the field!
Not presumptuous at all. My DS has just started at GSA and he is very much an all rounder too. Although he has been through the process which did reinforce our thinking that Laine, LSC and Urdang were focussing more on the dance and GSA, Arts Ed and Mountview more on the singing and acting for auditions it isn’t clear that this carries through to any bias in the actual training, or career opportunities.

Having said that, he is thrilled at the balance of training offered and feels he is in the right place - but it is early days!!!
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

I think your doing really well to start planning now x Are you looking at NYT and NMYT?
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

We at started looking in year 9. I think early research is vital,in the year they audition, GCSE year,time is very tight and time off is needed for auditions. Look now and start researching.
One of the best things we went to was MOVE IT.
Lots to see there ,also follow all the top and not so top colleges as you can start to get a good idea of what is offered.
It comes around quickly, believe me.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

We at started looking in year 9. I think early research is vital,in the year they audition, GCSE year,time is very tight and time off is needed for auditions. Look now and start researching.
One of the best things we went to was MOVE IT.
Lots to see there ,also follow all the top and not so top colleges as you can start to get a good idea of what is offered.
It comes around quickly, believe me.
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

Thanks for all the advice. LotsoLaffs, Move It is a good idea, although friends of his who are true dancers go there annually and I think DS might feel out of his depth seeing how good everyone is. He's Grade 4 ballet, Grade 3 tap and he pulls it off on stage and in exams because he loves to perform and has rhythm, but there are honestly people with far better technique and flexibility! Do schools like GSA go there too or is it mainly the dance-focused places? Marissa, thank you. Yes, DS has done NYMT 3 times and will probably audition for NYT next year - he's still quite small and young-looking so I suspect better to wait till Year 10 for that. Scarytimes I'd love to hear more about GSA - encouraged to hear your DS is an all-rounder too.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

He might be overwhelmed by the amount of glitter and Jo Bows but not anything else,in fact I think inspired by all the male performers that will be there.
There are lots of workshops that he can take part in,you will need to book well in advance,mine has taken part in a fair few MT ones.
Next year we will be going and looking at the college showcases,performances by individual colleges.
From memory I think most are there and plenty of prospectuses and leaflets to be be collected.It isn't all dance,lots of MT.
I think early bird tickets are on sale tomorrow I saw on Facebook somewhere.
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

Thanks Lotso, that is really helpful. Jo Bows not an issue!!
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

biscuitsneeded wrote: Scarytimes I'd love to hear more about GSA - encouraged to hear your DS is an all-rounder too.
I’ll PM you.
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

Places like Arts Ed and Mountview don’t attend Move It or at least they haven’t when I’ve been there previously. It’s heavily geared towards dance. Lots of street and hip hop as well. My DS went a couple of times to touch base with Pineapple and Tring and do some dance and MT workshops but he hasn’t been for 3-4 years now.
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

Thanks so much Scarytimes, I have replied.
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

Thank you RdF. Noted!
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Arts Ed 6th form had a stand last year and I remember Mountview wasn't there.