Fully funded BA MT Sept 2020 - Advice sought

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

DadofACP
Nominee

Re: Fully funded BA MT Sept 2020 - Advice sought

Post by DadofACP »

Thanks for the feedback thus far.
I too was compiling a spreadsheet of possible places and did have Urdang down as £9250 plus addiotional, so nice to see this has been dropped.
...Robin64 - to answer some of your questions, my DS is looking a triple threat musical theatre course. His best area is dancing, although he is no musician (although he is in the percussion section for his school orchestra, so dad hand with a triangle & tambourine !!).
I'm also confused about Brighton...we have never visited the town, but I quite liked the website and alumini destinations for Brighton Academy.
His top faves are GSA and Bird, but both may be difficult to get in. Performers college seems a bit remote, so not sure what options are for staying local and getting about with no car. PPA has good alumini links and some great reviews.
£1000 extra for Bird is a good heads up and an unexpected cost, although I suppose they all asks for extras on costumes, trips etc.
bro1234
BRIT Award

Post by bro1234 »

Hi

The £1000 extra for Bird is payable over the 3 years. We pay £33.33 a month direct debit. This is for Headshots, Physio, costumes etc.

A great college to go to.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

bro1234 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:46 pm Hi

The £1000 extra for Bird is payable over the 3 years. We pay £33.33 a month direct debit. This is for Headshots, Physio, costumes etc.

A great college to go to.
Yep I said we also pay per month and a similar charge is made at other colleges. It's just worth mentioning as it was not something I knew about when my DD started at Bird. And yes it is absolutely fantastic there. DD loves it.
DadofACP wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:37 pm Thanks for the feedback thus far.
I too was compiling a spreadsheet of possible places and did have Urdang down as £9250 plus addiotional, so nice to see this has been dropped.
...Robin64 - to answer some of your questions, my DS is looking a triple threat musical theatre course. His best area is dancing, although he is no musician (although he is in the percussion section for his school orchestra, so dad hand with a triangle & tambourine !!).
I'm also confused about Brighton...we have never visited the town, but I quite liked the website and alumini destinations for Brighton Academy.
His top faves are GSA and Bird, but both may be difficult to get in. Performers college seems a bit remote, so not sure what options are for staying local and getting about with no car. PPA has good alumini links and some great reviews.
£1000 extra for Bird is a good heads up and an unexpected cost, although I suppose they all asks for extras on costumes, trips etc.
Brighton is fab I know it very well but the colleges wouldn't be in the same league as GSA or Bird if you see what I mean. Definitely try Bird and Urdang if dance is a strength. GSA worth a go but tough (less places available) Places like artsed and MV depend on being able to afford the extra cost. Have a good read through previous years audition threads which have some good discussion on various colleges.
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

I think The Brighton Academy has built up a good reputation. They have some Open Days coming up I believe and auditions are free!! I am from Brighton so know it well, good city for youngsters, easy to get around and lots to do. The fees are much less at TBA. I have asked my DD to go along to an Open Day as she is overthinking her options and doesn't think she'll get offered a 3 year place where she is currently doing a foundation course - Performers - though her reports and assessments have come back with excellent grades. Our children do worry.x
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

Has he not considered Emil Dale Academy?
My DS is a strong dancer too but he’s been pushed to his limits and improved 100% there.
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
DadofACP
Nominee

Post by DadofACP »

Riverdancefan - We do have Emil Dale Academy on our spreadsheet of places to consider. They seem to be able to talk the talk from what we can see from their website, however our concern is that there does not seem to be many graduates going into the West End, compared with other places.

Robin64 - Artsed and MV have been ruled out due to expense. We have said to our son that he can only apply to places that are 100% funded by the student loan of £9,250 (we don't mind covering the extra costs for trips, costumes & other course fees, as this is similar to what we are already paying for him at present whilst he is studying Triple Performing Arts @ 6th form).

Having looked into London accommodation a little, we have also said we could not afford for him to live & travel in Central London, as his maintenance loan would need to cover this cost and he would only get approx. £8k per annum for London and places seem to range from £9k to £11k (and beyond), so this has now ruled out Tinity Laban & Urdang.

This still leaves us with GSA & Bird as the 2 aspiration targets, with backups of either Performers, PPA, Brighton Academy & Italia Conti (pending discussions @ Move-it). We are now ruling out BRICTT, as this is not covered by full student loan at present and Edge Hill Uni will also not be met @ Move it, as he does not fancy a Uni education (although Chichester still sounds appealing from what we have read so far).
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

And I’m guessing he’s not interested in The Hammond?
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

I might be wrong but I think Emil Dale diploma and/or degree hasn't been running long enough to have produced "graduates" yet? So it's early days for them and only time will tell. It was previously just a 6th form and weekend provision. But very few graduates from any college go straight into the West End. You should go and see the EDA shows or get to an Open Day or Workshop. They certainly do more than talk the talk and it could be an affordable option for you. It's now a popular destination but tough to get into. Certainly wouldn't ignore it or you may have regrets!
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

DadofACP wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:53 pm Riverdancefan - We do have Emil Dale Academy on our spreadsheet of places to consider. They seem to be able to talk the talk from what we can see from their website, however our concern is that there does not seem to be many graduates going into the West End, compared with other places.

Robin64 - Artsed and MV have been ruled out due to expense. We have said to our son that he can only apply to places that are 100% funded by the student loan of £9,250 (we don't mind covering the extra costs for trips, costumes & other course fees, as this is similar to what we are already paying for him at present whilst he is studying Triple Performing Arts @ 6th form).

Having looked into London accommodation a little, we have also said we could not afford for him to live & travel in Central London, as his maintenance loan would need to cover this cost and he would only get approx. £8k per annum for London and places seem to range from £9k to £11k (and beyond), so this has now ruled out Tinity Laban & Urdang.

This still leaves us with GSA & Bird as the 2 aspiration targets, with backups of either Performers, PPA, Brighton Academy & Italia Conti (pending discussions @ Move-it). We are now ruling out BRICTT, as this is not covered by full student loan at present and Edge Hill Uni will also not be met @ Move it, as he does not fancy a Uni education (although Chichester still sounds appealing from what we have read so far).

Hi My DD is at Bird on the Degree and loving it - so obviously I would recommend Bird. I know you're concerned over costs of living and travelling in London but I wouldn't let that rule you out of Trinity Laban and Urdang.

Laban is based in Greenwich / Deptford Whilst housing in Greenwich is expensive living slightly further out and commuting could be an option. Depending on your son's age when he starts he may be able to get a year's free bus Travelcard (Full details on the TFL website) When we went on an open day they told us a lot of the MT classes where at the New Cross site, which is a cheaper place to live (Student accommodation for Goldmsith's nearby) and genuinely a 20 min walk or short bus journey. Greenwich is very well served by buses from these areas to get back and forth.

Likewise with Urdang, you wouldn't have to live in Central London, commuting is an option (Trains and tube are more expensive than buses) but it would be a shame to rule out these colleges because of the cost of living next door to the college.

As for EDA I've seen what they produce and the level of talent is very high. I would say they not only talk the talk but deliver the goods.

Probably doesn't help - good luck for the whole process
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

I’ve also heard great things about Emil Dale so definitely worth an application and yes the BA MT 3 year course is brand new so they’re won’t be any graduates in the west end brochures..yet

My son has a few friends that attended EDA 6th form and didn’t struggle at all to then go on and secure BA places in well regarded colleges - Chris Hocking (principal of Arts Ed) is EDA’s patron and that speaks volumes to me - it doesn’t get much better than that (just my opinion of course). My son also has a friend starting the BA course this Sep

I can speak for Trinity finances as my son is currently in his first year of the BA course - student tuition loan of £9250 covers the course fees each year and he gets just short of £6000 maintenance loan which I have paid to me and I then use that to pay his halls fees (McMillan student village) I have to add about £1000 to that each year to cover it

I then send him £80 per week to live on out of my own money and this works well for both of us and he doesn’t really have to budget so to speak - just make sure £80 a week lasts him

So that’s £3520 (for 1 year) living from me (80 x 44 weeks) and £1000 per year from me to cover halls fees so £4520 x 3 years is around a total 3 year cost of £13,560... :shock: phew! I’m broke now :lol:

Oh and I also paid out £10k plus living plus accommodation for a foundation year at mountview - he better pay me back with a nice big house when he’s famous :lol:
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

2 of the previous EDA 6th formers/BTEC (their first intake) have got into ArtsEd and Mountview but both decided to leave as they had offers for professional work, something they couldn’t have done whilst at college. One just finished in Bat Out of Hell, the other is in Club Mex, then going straight into Book of Mormon.
Barton285
BRIT Award

Post by Barton285 »

The diploma at EDA is on its 2nd year and degree 1st year at EDA, I certainly wouldn't rule it out although I'm biased with my DD having completed BTEC and foundation there and now on diploma at urdang. Although they haven't got graduates as yet they are certainly getting youngsters into the west end - one having just finished at Bat Out Of Hell, another starting in Book of Mormons plus a few already on cruises and these were after having done the BTEC. Tough to get in though as has beeen mentioned.
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

So far on this years 6th form\ gap year at EDA, and this is only what I actually know of
We have the following offers ..
recalls for MV
A fully funded degree course at Urdang
X 2 degree offers for Arts Ed
Offers for the new degree course at EDA
Quite a few foundations at MV and ArtsEd
Recalls at GSA
Rose Bruford
And I don’t even know about the acting courses or Bird, Laines etc as people still waiting.

I think there will be quite a few performers in quite a few programmes in the next few years that will name EDA as their college
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

I would definitely consider Hammond. It may be up in Chester but they have great industry links. Last year one student reached the Stephen Sondheim student performer finals and the calibration of teaching is excellent.
ajbew
BRIT Award

Post by ajbew »

Have you looked at living costs at Chester House. It is a student hall and is commutable to Urdang, but is not in the centre which makes it cheaper. The bus would then be £1.50 each journey. A few students for Urdang live there. The bus ride is about 40mins I think. My nephew did this for his first year at Urdang. They can stay for three years if they want and it is also catered. My son enjoyed his year living there for his first year at Mountview (old premises). It is a bit more affordable than other housing options in London and might mean you don't have to rule out Urdang after all.