Brit School

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Mumoffive
BRIT Award

Brit School

Post by Mumoffive »

My son has an audition for the theatre strand for sixth form. Can anyone give tips for the audition? Also anyone have a son or daughter who has done the theatre strand and give us their opinion? It is very tempting because it is free, but I'm not sure the theatre strand has as good a reputation as musical theatre or music?
bumble-bee
Nominee

Re: Brit School

Post by bumble-bee »

My son attended the Brit sch in year 10 and continued through to y12. Apparently the audition process has changed since, he graduated from there 3yrs ago all I would say is just for your son to be himself really there’s no real tips. My son did the theatre strand as he wanted to act, it does have some elements of singing no dance and no movement at all. Not sure what you mean about the reputation of the strand? The sch itself has a good reputation, with lots of performance & industry opportunities. Theatre strand like all the other strands perform very regularly alongside completing academic work. Lovely sch my son enjoyed his time there and has lots of great memories, he is now in the graduating year of drama sch.
Mumoffive
BRIT Award

Post by Mumoffive »

Thanks Bumble Bee
My son is very excited to go for the audition on Monday. When we went to the open day it felt very music/performing arts focussed and I was a bit worried that straight theatre wasn't as good...but he thinks it's great.
Mumoffive
BRIT Award

Post by Mumoffive »

My DS has a place at the Brit School to do theatre. He's so pleased. He also auditioned for Artsed but we really couldn't afford it so we are chuffed to bits that he got his place. Anyone else?
bumble-bee
Nominee

Post by bumble-bee »

Mumoffive -sorry just seen this congratulations to your ds \:D/ it’s a great place to study and hone their skills, lots of benefits attending this school! He will definitely enjoy it. With the theatre strand the plays at times had a very mature nature to them just so you’re aware, just took me aback at times as myself & other parents wasn’t expecting it. However I believe a lot of the brit sch theatre strand training helped my son & many others to receive straight offers first time round applying to Drama sch, they do very very well! Two of them from my son’s year had straight offers to Rada at the time so the training is very good! It’s a lovely sch where the kids are free to be themselves :) Feel free to pm and ask any questions happy to help :-)
Mumoffive
BRIT Award

Post by Mumoffive »

Thanks Bumblebee. I've just PM'd you
sailorgirluae
BRIT Award

Post by sailorgirluae »

Hi I appreciate this is an older thread but does anyone have any info on what the academics are like at the Brit school. Thinking of looking at it for my DD but would like her to keep up her strong academics as well.