Auditioning for 2020 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Dancermum70
Nominee

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by Dancermum70 »

Maybe there will be some movement on the reserve lists as offers on UCAS have to be finalised today.
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Dancermum70 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:02 pm Maybe there will be some movement on the reserve lists as offers on UCAS have to be finalised today.
They withdrew offers on UCAS a while back for a lot on the reserve list as part the UCAS process but said not to worry. Apparently they will put you back on if you get offered.
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:12 pm
Dancermum70 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:02 pm Maybe there will be some movement on the reserve lists as offers on UCAS have to be finalised today.
They withdrew offers on UCAS a while back for a lot on the reserve list as part the UCAS process but said not to worry. Apparently they will put you back on if you get offered.
It freaked us out when it happened to my DD a couple of years ago. Under the UCAS rules they have to 'withdraw the offer' if not taken up by a certain date. If you're then offered a place it gets enetered onto the system again as UCAS Extra.

Good luck to all
daisy1
GRAMMY Award

Post by daisy1 »

Hello everyone, after some advice on what to do next as In a bit of a quandry! DD has been lucky enough to get a place at Chichester on the Triple Threat degree course, and has turned down offers from MTA and LCM. She has now also been offered a foundation course at mountview. In current circumstances not sure whether this will be worth the money? I’ve heard great things about both courses, and obvs MV is a big name and a big pull, though the course at Chichester is doing so well and seems like a lovely place to be. Degree or foundation? Any thoughts or advice most gratefully received!
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

daisy1 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:57 pm Hello everyone, after some advice on what to do next as In a bit of a quandry! DD has been lucky enough to get a place at Chichester on the Triple Threat degree course, and has turned down offers from MTA and LCM. She has now also been offered a foundation course at mountview. In current circumstances not sure whether this will be worth the money? I’ve heard great things about both courses, and obvs MV is a big name and a big pull, though the course at Chichester is doing so well and seems like a lovely place to be. Degree or foundation? Any thoughts or advice most gratefully received!
Hi

Well done of the Foundation offer

Only she can make that decision but if it were me - I would stick with Chichester. I know MV is amazing but at the end of the year she'll need to audition again and, with the reduced numbers it seems this year, who knows what will be available next time around.

Good luck with whatever she chooses
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

daisy1 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:57 pm Hello everyone, after some advice on what to do next as In a bit of a quandry! DD has been lucky enough to get a place at Chichester on the Triple Threat degree course, and has turned down offers from MTA and LCM. She has now also been offered a foundation course at mountview. In current circumstances not sure whether this will be worth the money? I’ve heard great things about both courses, and obvs MV is a big name and a big pull, though the course at Chichester is doing so well and seems like a lovely place to be. Degree or foundation? Any thoughts or advice most gratefully received!
I think ultimately you and your daughter has to decide on whether you are prepared to reaudition again next year. Personally as a parent of a dd who had the same choice we stuck to the financed degree and she is so happy where she is (The Hammond) and has been able to enjoy the course with no worries on the money side x
Last edited by Marissa on Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

If the financing isn’t a problem (and I mean not a struggle at all) and MV is her absolute dream then go for it, otherwise I would definitely go for the degree option every time. As the parent of a daughter just finished her foundation year it is a huge expense and we’ve had the stress of auditions again this year (thankfully her foundation experience gained her a degree place this year). Foundation was all she was offered last year but she was under no illusion that if she was offered a degree place somewhere then she was to take it, she only auditioned (both years) at places she really really wanted to go to. Good luck making the decision.
joluth1
Nominee

Post by joluth1 »

Hi my daughter was in a similar boat last year with a foundation offer at East 15, reserve list for MT degree at trinity Laban and a degree offer on triple threat at chichester. After a lot of soul searching she went to chichester and has not looked back. She is thriving, the training is excellent and she has never been happier. They have written to say the fully expect to be back up and running from September with face to face classes. I’m so glad she made this decision and would highly recommend chichester conservatoire. Good luck !!
daisy1
GRAMMY Award

Post by daisy1 »

Thank you so much for all your replies and advice. She is very happy to have been awarded a place at MV, it’s been a big confidence boost which is great. To us it feels like the sensible option to go to Chichester, and definitely the best financial option. The thought of going through all this again next year fills me with dread to be honest, especially with the situation being so unsure. She’s definitely got some thinking to do! I am glad our waiting is over though, fingers crossed for all still waiting 🤞
Mrspotatohead
Nominee

Post by Mrspotatohead »

Mine was in same boat last year she decided to decline the Chichester TT in favour of a foundation in London . She did not manage to get a place at mountview degree this year so you risk Is you may find yourself in same boat in 12 months time.
what the foundation did do was confirm Chi would not have been right mine wanted to study in London or Brighton and felt Bognor was just a bit too quiet - not sure how valuable a foundation would be if we are still in lockdown though as the best part mine found was physically meeting the visiting schools to compare them?
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Looks like ArtsEd foundation got it's validation so that it now qualifies for Student Finance.
I think there is a £4,000 top up.
Good for any considering it or to bear in mind for next year.

Any news on Laine DADA's? Are people still waiting to hear?
Felicity
GRAMMY Award

Post by Felicity »

Congrats to your DD on the offers!

My DD was in this position 2 years ago and turned down a Triple Threat degree offer at Chichester to do a Foundation at Arts Ed. She got a huge amount out of the Foundation year as she came from an academic sixth form with no vocational training other than ballet and singing lessons outside of school.

We don’t live that far from London so she was able to commute in from home to save accommodation costs but there are still the fees and other expenses to pay. And of course there is the huge stress of having to audition again the following year. However DD was convinced this was right path for her and we agreed to support her with some help from my folks. She was lucky enough to get several degree offers the next year and she has just finished her first year at her dream school.

The current situation and the unknown impact going forward adds another layer of complexity so I think your DD would have to be 100% convinced this path Is definitely for her in order to turn down the TT degree offer in favour of the MV Foundation. After all the Foundation only runs Sept to May and potentially having to do online lessons only for a good chunk of it is a big issue in my opinion, if there is a second wave.

Good luck!
Moonfaery
BRIT Award

Post by Moonfaery »

lotsolaffs wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:58 pm Looks like ArtsEd foundation got it's validation so that it now qualifies for Student Finance.

Does this also mean that they now offer a degree course as well that could be financed with a student loan. Or is it still only diploma?
Thanks
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Moonfaery wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:05 pm
lotsolaffs wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:58 pm Looks like ArtsEd foundation got it's validation so that it now qualifies for Student Finance.

Does this also mean that they now offer a degree course as well that could be financed with a student loan. Or is it still only diploma?
Thanks
They have always had a 3 year degree course that can be funded by SFE but only £6,000 or £6,500 - I can't quite remember, you can also get a Maintenance Loan, which is based on parental earnings.
You need to top it up though.
If you now did a foundation at ArtsEd, that would use one year of SFE funding ( you can get 4 ).
Diploma still has to be funded by yourself, no funding unless you are offered a DADA.
Moonfaery
BRIT Award

Post by Moonfaery »

lotsolaffs wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:52 pm
Moonfaery wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:05 pm

Thanks
They have always had a 3 year degree course that can be funded by SFE but only £6,000 or £6,500 - I can't quite remember, you can also get a Maintenance Loan, which is based on parental earnings.
You need to top it up though.
If you now did a foundation at ArtsEd, that would use one year of SFE funding ( you can get 4 ).
Diploma still has to be funded by yourself, no funding unless you are offered a DADA.
Ah right, thanks for explaining. I think Arts Ed is out for us then as top up fee will be too much. I was thinking it was a diploma with DaDa option which we wouldn’t qualify for.
Shame as it’s her dream choice.