Auditioning for 2020 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

LineyK68
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by LineyK68 »

Tess50 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:56 am Yep I think it's a very tough one - with a lot of the colleges offering deferrals then it could be tougher next year to get funding if indeed as much will be available due to the pandemic and also due to Brexit so as tough it it may be doing blended learning which seems to be the current recommendations from the colleges I think it might be riskier to wait another year particularly with the performing arts but I'm torn too - it's a tough one alright
Glad I’m not the only one thinking this and yes as you say next year might be even harder. We’re doing all we can financially for our DS this year so that he can start in September with no funding apart from student tuition and maintenance loan but dare not even think about years two and three as we cannot find another £10k next year. 😬
Tess50
BRIT Award

Post by Tess50 »

I know it's tough - my daughter got a Dada for her tuition with Performers College so I know we're very lucky but she'll be moving from Ireland and we're not entitled to maintenance/living costs so we still need 12,000 plus probably - performers sent out an email the other day offering payment plans to all courses not just degree but foundation and diploma too for their fees so a lot of people must have been in touch saying they will find it difficult to pay - I just couldn't take the chance waiting to see what will happen next year so we are definitely going with it from September x
LineyK68
BRIT Award

Post by LineyK68 »

Tess50 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:59 am I know it's tough - my daughter got a Dada for her tuition with Performers College so I know we're very lucky but she'll be moving from Ireland and we're not entitled to maintenance/living costs so we still need 12,000 plus probably - performers sent out an email the other day offering payment plans to all courses not just degree but foundation and diploma too for their fees so a lot of people must have been in touch saying they will find it difficult to pay - I just couldn't take the chance waiting to see what will happen next year so we are definitely going with it from September x
Don’t blame you in your shoes I’d be inclined to do the same. I keep telling my DS one day when he makes it onto the West End and he’s earning big bucks that he best not forget the sacrifices we had to make. 😂🤣😂
Tess50
BRIT Award

Post by Tess50 »

Me too 8) :D payback hopefully in years to come - crazy expensive but when they love it so much you do what you can and I think it's better at their age to give it a shot rather than look back years later wishing they'd tried - life is too bloody short xx
LineyK68
BRIT Award

Post by LineyK68 »

Tess50 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:24 pm Me too 8) :D payback hopefully in years to come - crazy expensive but when they love it so much you do what you can and I think it's better at their age to give it a shot rather than look back years later wishing they'd tried - life is too bloody short xx
Too right you only live once 😊 xx
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Tess50 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:56 am Yep I think it's a very tough one - with a lot of the colleges offering deferrals then it could be tougher next year to get funding if indeed as much will be available due to the pandemic and also due to Brexit so as tough it it may be doing blended learning which seems to be the current recommendations from the colleges I think it might be riskier to wait another year particularly with the performing arts but I'm torn too - it's a tough one alright
I'd be interested to know which colleges are allowing successful applicants to defer for a year.
It's virtually unheard of for a drama school or college to do so . Emil Dale Academy allow you to audition at 15 and will hold your place until 16 but it isn't under special circumstances, it's normal.
Tess50
BRIT Award

Post by Tess50 »

Laine and Urdang are two I know for definite
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Tess50 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:00 pm Laine and Urdang are two I know for definite
So they have told some students words to the effect - we will hold your place for you until next year, you don't need to audition again.
They must be outstanding applicants.
Tess50
BRIT Award

Post by Tess50 »

Sarah Carroll emailed everyone from Laine and this is her exact words - Considering your talent, if you are unable to join us this year, I hope you might consider deferring your application to next year.
With my warmest regards, - so that's what she said and following on from a number of parents contacting her yes the place is kept until 2021 and you only have to audition for funding again. I don't have the exact wording from Urdang but my daughters friend has deferred her place on the diploma course until 2021 - it's nothing to do with them being outstanding applicants but the circumstances we all find ourselves in due to the pandemic
Katyben
BRIT Award

Post by Katyben »

Anyone currently on the bird freshers meeting?
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Katyben wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:45 am Anyone currently on the bird freshers meeting?
We wish!! Are there lots in it? This is making me think all the offers have come out? Or is it just freshers so far? Oh dear.
Katyben
BRIT Award

Post by Katyben »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:52 am
Katyben wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:45 am Anyone currently on the bird freshers meeting?
We wish!! Are there lots in it? This is making me think all the offers have come out? Or is it just freshers so far? Oh dear.
Oh I’m not sure. There’s about 70 screens I think. Not sure how many places they have but I thought it was more that that x
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Katyben wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:57 am
Oh I’m not sure. There’s about 70 screens I think. Not sure how many places they have but I thought it was more that that x
Any news from it? I am concerned that they may just have a small year group and that might be it now!
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:00 pm
Any news from it? I am concerned that they may just have a small year group and that might be it now!
And I realise now that you might not be able to say. Or want to! It is just frustrating all this waiting! 😘
Katyben
BRIT Award

Post by Katyben »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:00 pm
He didn’t mention if it was everyone but he did say when they go back they will be split into groups of about 7 ?