Auditioning for 2020 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Sparkle13
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by Sparkle13 »

Hi,
Can anyone give me any advice, my dd is starting at Bird in Sept, we haven’t received the enrolment pack yet but can anyone advise about typical prices for private medical insurance? Is this what’s recommenced? Also do they need to register with a gp while there, if so will that be in the enrolment pack? Also read somewhere about a £1000 payment for extras at Bird, headshots extra, just trying to sort finances and costs out, any advice appreciated.
Thank you
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Sparkle13 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:56 pm Hi,
Can anyone give me any advice, my dd is starting at Bird in Sept, we haven’t received the enrolment pack yet but can anyone advise about typical prices for private medical insurance? Is this what’s recommenced? Also do they need to register with a gp while there, if so will that be in the enrolment pack? Also read somewhere about a £1000 payment for extras at Bird, headshots extra, just trying to sort finances and costs out, any advice appreciated.
Thank you
Hi
My DD is in her second year at Bird. We didn't take out private medical insurance for her. She's been well looked after by the physio facilities at Bird
You're right, there is a fee. It covers headshots, show fees etc. The £1000 is for all 3 years - you can pay monthly if you wish. All the info should be in the pack
Couldn't answer the GP question as we live locally so DD registered there
Sparkle13
BRIT Award

Post by Sparkle13 »

Munchpot wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:37 pm
Thank you
Hi
My DD is in her second year at Bird. We didn't take out private medical insurance for her. She's been well looked after by the physio facilities at Bird
You're right, there is a fee. It covers headshots, show fees etc. The £1000 is for all 3 years - you can pay monthly if you wish. All the info should be in the pack
Thank you, that’s really helpful
smallbythesea
BRIT Award

Post by smallbythesea »

Thank you
Hi

Hi

My dd also just finishing 2nd year. We havent taken out private medical insurance either as physio facilities and vocal care included in the £1000. The £1000 is broken down year by year. So each year you can pay it annually, termly or monthly over 10 months is £33.33 and is interest free. There is also a locker fee which is theres for 3 years and get the vast majority of that money back at the end of the 3 years. Think that was about £50.

Little bit early yet for the enrolment pack, think we got that in July. The fb freshers page might be up and running though if your dd looks for that.

Gps yes your dd will have to register otherwise they have to use the walk in centre at the hospital if anything crops up until they're registered. Just google local doctors. Some are better than others. I can find out which one my dd uses if you want.

If youre not from the area, look into oyster zip cards for buses/trains/tubes etc. Think theyre £20 for 2 years.Xx
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

Thank you
Hi
Hello

My DD isn't at Bird but I took private medical insurance out for her, I pay £37 per month,it is with Aviva, we have recently used it as she hurt her knee. DD is also registered at a local doctors where she is studying.
Sparkle13
BRIT Award

Post by Sparkle13 »

smallbythesea wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:54 pm
Thank you
Hi

Hi

My dd also just finishing 2nd year. We havent taken out private medical insurance either as physio facilities and vocal care included in the £1000. The £1000 is broken down year by year. So each year you can pay it annually, termly or monthly over 10 months is £33.33 and is interest free. There is also a locker fee which is theres for 3 years and get the vast majority of that money back at the end of the 3 years. Think that was about £50.

Little bit early yet for the enrolment pack, think we got that in July. The fb freshers page might be up and running though if your dd looks for that.

Gps yes your dd will have to register otherwise they have to use the walk in centre at the hospital if anything crops up until they're registered. Just google local doctors. Some are better than others. I can find out which one my dd uses if you want.

If youre not from the area, look into oyster zip cards for buses/trains/tubes etc. Think theyre £20 for 2 years.Xx
That’s great, thank you will have a look.
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Anyone with Bird students can you explain how the reserve list works? Do they have some places ready to start dishing out or are we just waiting for people to change their mind. Heard various differing things. Some say only 25% of places are offered straight after audition but from what people have said about numbers in video calls etc that can't be right.
Katyben
BRIT Award

Post by Katyben »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:39 am Anyone with Bird students can you explain how the reserve list works? Do they have some places ready to start dishing out or are we just waiting for people to change their mind. Heard various differing things. Some say only 25% of places are offered straight after audition but from what people have said about numbers in video calls etc that can't be right.
From what I gather the places have now been given and any further places are from people declining or changing their mind. Not 100% on that though x
Peggyo
Nominee

Post by Peggyo »

I am looking for accommodation at Performers for my 18 year old daughter, she is starting the degree course in September. I am having no luck at all. Does anybody know of a spare room or have any suggestions
TIA 😉
Jillyg1965
Nominee

Post by Jillyg1965 »

Peggyo wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:12 pm I am looking for accommodation at Performers for my 18 year old daughter, she is starting the degree course in September. I am having no luck at all. Does anybody know of a spare room or have any suggestions
TIA 😉
My friend is having the same problem for her son at Performers
Any help would be greatly appreciated
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Jillyg1965 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:05 pm
Peggyo wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:12 pm I am looking for accommodation at Performers for my 18 year old daughter, she is starting the degree course in September. I am having no luck at all. Does anybody know of a spare room or have any suggestions
TIA 😉
They make me a bit cross as we really struggled last year to find a place for our daughter who did Pre-Voc there, we were lucky in the end and she found a lovely room, but they told us last year that they’d had a lot of landlords drop out. Surely if they are upping their numbers so much they should look into making sure they have enough accommodation, or do they just not care? Don’t get me wrong, the college is amazing and dd loved her year their (decided to go to Wilkes for degree) but accommodation is definitely a problem that they need to look into. I know a lot of my daughter’s year ended up in Basildon at some private flats (large block with concierge) but some of the landlords wanted 6 or 12 months rent in advance, worth a look though?
Belledancer
BRIT Award

Post by Belledancer »

Performers accommodation is indeed a nightmare - get on the freshers page and start talking to people. With all that’s gone one I’m guessing there will be lots of people desperate to rent out rooms but won’t have a clue how to go about it also call all estate agents in Corringham and Basildon. My dd is going into 3rd year at Laine It was always a choice between these especially when Tracey offered her a place on audition day but accommodation was always an issue - good luck ☘️ This coming September is going to be different and strange I guess for our lovely strong kids I wish you all well x
Belledancer
BRIT Award

Post by Belledancer »

Ps we pay 6 months in advance for her Laine accommodation and she hasn’t been there since 13th March 😭
Dancemum11
Nominee

Post by Dancemum11 »

Jillyg1965 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:05 pm
TIA 😉
My daughter is starting at Performers in Sept and agree accomodation is a nightmare. She has now found a house to share in Basildon. I would say keep looking on Spare room for house shares use the accomodation group chat on Facebook to look with others in a similar situation. My daughter found the house on spare room, checked they would take students and then put a message on group chat so luckily the house will be all Performers students. We have had to pay rent from July to secure it. Keep persevering..we spent hours checking spare room and Rightmove, something will come up but know how stressful it is
Peggyo
Nominee

Post by Peggyo »

Thank you I will look in spare room and see what I can find. My daughter is on the Facebook page and managed to join up with some other girls who are also looking. I have contacted the local estate agents. I was a bit worried about going for Basildon as daughter does not drive, but will have a look there too. Thanks 😊