Best time to apply for Sept 2020

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Mammamia
BRIT Award

Best time to apply for Sept 2020

Post by Mammamia »

Hi everyone ,
My dd is applying for MT degree and diploma courses for Sept 2020. She’s interested in Laine, Bird, Urdang, Arts Ed, Brighton etc .
Just wondering if she should apply immeadiately or wait a while ?
Someone told her that if she applies now , then she might be given a very early audition date before Christmas . However she’s currently doing a foundation course and would prefer to audition around February 2020 as we currently live abroad and she will have to travel to the UK and try to fit in a few at the same time if possible.
I’m worried that all the audition slots might get booked up but at the same time , I don’t want her to get an early date that she cannot change .
Littleone
BRIT Award

Re: Best time to apply for Sept 2020

Post by Littleone »

Hi Mammamia

I am by no means an expert but from our experience ( DD auditioned last year for Urdang, Bird, Performers Laine , LIPA and NBS) I would suggest auditioning earlier rather than later. We found that some colleges made offers on the day of audition or v. soon after but this seemed to happen more frequently earlier in the audition season. Also I know that (this year) Laine offered some bursaries which were awarded as the auditions took place therefore there was minimal private funding remaining at the time of the last auditions... so that is worth considering if ineligible for Dada .

That is only our experience :) I am sure others will have other thoughts ! Good Luck with it all !
Mammamia
BRIT Award

Post by Mammamia »

Thanks Littleone , she doesn’t feel audition ready though I think she is :roll:
I hope that your dd is getting on well.
Littleone
BRIT Award

Post by Littleone »

Thanks Mammamia

I don't think my Daughter felt 'ready' either ....she did her first audition in early December and in her mind this was a 'practice' before auditioning at other colleges she thought she might prefer. She really enjoyed her audition and the College and that is where she's training now ..and loving it ! :D

I am not sure they will ever feel 'ready' :roll: Very best of luck to your DD :D
Mammamia
BRIT Award

Post by Mammamia »

That’s fantastic to hear Littleone !
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

I wouldn't wait, several dates are clashing already for us. Also UCAS can take a while to get sorted. Maybe start any applications and save as you go along if possible then if you are ready you are a bit ahead, mine has done that with a couple of applications, also some do have auditions abroad so maybe check? It's all so stressful but we have 2 booked before Christmas and just waiting to have a date through for another.
MTlover123
BRIT Award

Post by MTlover123 »

DD has done it twice so I can give feedback from her experience. First year she was studying A’levels and the general advice was audition for last choice first and early and then build confidence. If not in full time training audition early as all ‘foundies’ audition late. Unfortunately for dd she broke her foot in December so it didn’t work out for her but did for others. In her first year of auditioning she was therefore coming back from injury and ironically only didn’t get an offer from her last choice who she auditioned for first. Dd was offered a couple of 3 year courses and foundation at Laine and this is where her heart was and took that opportunity so had to reaudition again and chose a couple of straight acting courses too. She auditioned mainly march/April and was largely in auditions with other ‘foundies’ and on at least one course there was only a couple of places left for girls. It worked out for her and she did have a choice and fortunately managed to stay at Laine which was best for her and was her first choice and others on her course generally got the place that is right for them and they are all very happy. So I think she would say if you are studying a’levels and singing, dancing etc after school audition early, if you’re studying a’levels but on the competition circuit audition February and if you’re btec mt audition February, if you’re on a foundation course your college will advise you and they know their stuff. Lots of luck, it’s a tough process but worth it in the end.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Mine is on BTEC and no way would we leave it until February,for example Art Ed don't have any audition dates in February at the moment,perhaps more will be added,not sure about that? I guess everyone will have their own advice and you and DD will just have to do what's best for you.
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

My DD is also on a Foundation course and this year auditioned in January. However, next year she is going to ask for the latest she possibly can to take advantage of the professional training she’s currently receiving. From experience most places gave a date but you could change it, Urdang you got to choose the date online at the time of applying, Bird came through with November but it said ring and change if not suitable so she did, for January so apply now but ask for later dates, don’t leave it until late to apply as there then might not be any places left. I think it makes total sense to go as late as possible and whilst I am not a professional so don’t know this for sure, I don’t think when you audition makes much difference. DD knows of someone who auditioned November and got reserve at Bird but then knows of other friends who auditioned in February, March and April and all got on reserve at Bird too, not many actually offer places there and then unless you are exceptional. This year she’s going for Performers (where she currently is), Bird, Urdang, Wilkes and possibly Italia Conti, good luck to yours x
jasmine0323
BRIT Award

Post by jasmine0323 »

Hi lotsolaffs - my dd is also on a Btec and they have all been told that they can’t audition until Jan/Feb?? I get that it gives them longer in training but we are slightly concerned?! 🥴
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

jasmine0323
Mine has 33 hours contact a week ,maybe BTECs with less need longer? We want early auditions before Christmas,not after a 4 week break. Also hope that weather/ illness doesn't interfere too much . Dates for Urdang were limiting for us, my DD can't make 4 of them and again would like to know if more are added later.
jasmine0323
BRIT Award

Post by jasmine0323 »

Lotsolaffs
Yes it is less contact hours
I just think it’s a rule they have which gives them as long as possible in training - But there are varying abilities on the course so really think it should be dependent on if they think you’re ready to audition early they should give permission etc - seems like there’s a rule that they should all be treated the same when they are not - dd was accepted at the same school for the diploma but for various reasons decided to wait until she was 18 to apply for degree at this and other schools - I feel this should be taken in to consideration 🤔 Defo agree with you about the 4 week gap!
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

I would ignore them,you and your DD know best, imagine if you waited and then no one got in anywhere or even worse someone else ignored what they said auditioned and had multiple offers !
You are right about varying abilities and it should be taken into account. Good luck!
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

My dd applied early as she wanted to get the majority of auditions over before her exams kicked in.
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

My daughter left it late the first year of auditions, we found she got very little offers as everywhere she went was nearly full. The second time she auditioned early and the offers came in. I would advise early as many places offer at each audition once they are full it’s get harder.