Courses at 16

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Chelsie68
BRIT Award

Courses at 16

Post by Chelsie68 »

My daughter is in year 10, so we are looking at possible musical theatre courses post GCSEs, as she’s not keen to stay on for sixth form at her current school. We had thought that an extended level 3 diploma seemed the best thing to look at, which is available at several local colleges and also one other local school sixth form.

A new college course has just been advertised by a local performing arts school. They are offering level 4 ATCL musical theatre diploma. I’ve looked this up and it does not seem to give UCAS points, as it’s above a level 3. I’m assuming that this course would turn not lead in to higher education (although the staff at the school insist it will).

Any advice?
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Re: Courses at 16

Post by islandofsodor »

ATCL is a Trinity Diploma. Often taken in the past by instrumental music etc teachers. It leads onto the LTCL and FTCL. Some conservatoires will enter their students for these alongside their usual studies or it's quite common for singing/drama teachers to prepare their students for it after they have taken Grade 8. It is equivalent in standard to the first year of an undergraduate degree but without the academic content. It is 90 credits whereas you usually take 120 credits in the first year of a degree.

I've not known it be offered as a full time standalone course before. Most professional musical theatre colleges offer the 3 year Level 6 Trinity Diploma in Professional Musical Theatre.
Chelsie68
BRIT Award

Post by Chelsie68 »

As a classical musician myself, I understand ATCL as an exam taken post grade 8. The new course being offered us a 2 year course for sixth form age young people. They aim to do the ATCL alongside istd dance exams, LAMDA exams and singing exams. They are also going to award their own college diploma. I’m disappointed they’re not going to do a level 3 extended diploma, as that would give equivalent ucas points to 3 A levels. They maintain that their course is at a higher level, but I can’t see it being accepted for entry into Uni etc.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

No, it won’t be accepted.

A few unis will accept music/drama/dance grades at level 3 alongside A levels or a but not an ATCL.

Maybe I’m being cynical but anyone can enter a candidate for an ATCL but to offer the Extended Diploma or the Level 6 Professional Diploma you have to be a recognised exam centre. The well known colleges offer the Level 6 Diploma to 16 year olds which can be topped up to a full degree. It’s a 3 year course.
Chelsie68
BRIT Award

Post by Chelsie68 »

Thanks islandofsodor, that’s what I thought. It’s such a shame, as it’s part of a new (very small) theatre that’s been opened in our town - about half a mile from home! They teased it for ages and I was really hopeful that it would be the level 3 extended diploma they would offer. I’m guessing they’re going into it without bothering to register as an exam centre or with ofsted, which is a shame. The facilities are fab and the theatre is really lively , so I think there would be loads of performance opportunities. One to avoid though, by the looks of it.