Dancing - beginning at an older age (falling between the gaps)

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

lawn
GRAMMY Award

Dancing - beginning at an older age (falling between the gaps)

Post by lawn »

16yo daughter is on a 2 yr MT course at college. She's done drama (acting) since she was 10, plus weekly singing within a group, and private singing lessons since she was 14.

Dancing is something that had barely been touched on.

As acting is her strength we always thought she'd go for the straight acting courses at 16/18+ . However within days of starting her post 16 acting course she disliked it and changed to MT.

Acting isnt a problem, Her singing is getting stronger all the time, but she lacks dance experience. At college they do ballet and jazz classes at her course. Her problem is she hasn't already learnt some of the technique and also when her fellow course students are trying to work out what grade they are all working at, she hasn't got a clue.

So we found her a beginners ballet for older kids, and she's gone a few times, but she's the eldest in the class and some of the things she's learning she's already covered at college. Dance teacher wishes to put them in for exams but will be starting from the very beginning. I'm not familier with dance grades but I believe the first exam was to be lower than grade 1. There'd be 2 exams maximum to be taken during this calendar year. I've no idea if that's what's usually done if starting dancing at an older age, I know it's not the case with acting/singing when a child starts doing graded exams and they're already older.

Finding another beginner's class for her age group isn't possible, it's the only one running in the town (I've looked at every dance school!).
Also because she's out of the local area for college 3 days a week, it's not just a case of finding somewhere but also one that has classes running at a time she can get to.

So she emailed a dance school she was at some years ago and they suggested joining their adult class. So she went and liked it and they would cover ballet, tap, jazz but the other pupils are so much older and some did dancing themselves from 3-18 and have come back to it later in life.

She seems to be falling between the gaps with it
Beginners class too basic, because of her college classes
Adult class too advanced because of the lots older/experienced students
Can't join one that her age group are in due to not working at that level.

Should she just stick with the adult class and hope that in time she improves and can keep up. Anyone any suggestions?
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Re: Dancing - beginning at an older age (falling between the gaps)

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

I would suggest sticking with the adult class as their experience might spur her on. Also, if the dance teacher is any good he/she should be able to manage with mixed abilities ie. tell one group to do one move and make it slightly easier for another group. I go to an adult dance class with a range of abilities and this is what our teacher does, she’ll give the more advanced students a more advanced move but they do spur us on, something to aspire to. I find both my daughters get bored if they are with lower ability students as they move a lot faster so would fear this would happen to your dd in the younger class. A difficult choice but I’d go for adult every time.
jacsrab
BRIT Award

Re: Dancing - beginning at an older age (falling between the gaps)

Post by jacsrab »

My daughter was in a similar position but at the age of 18.
She's been doing a MT Foundation Course at Reads in Reading and has been loving it! They stream their dancers and it's such a small college, the students get excellent personal attention. It's been excellent preparation for her as she goes into auditions for a 3 years MT degree.