Bird Reserve List

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Re: Bird Reserve List

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Heard someone was offered diploma from the reserve list today.
Crazytime
BRIT Award

Post by Crazytime »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:19 am Heard someone was offered diploma from the reserve list today.
Oh wow really ... she’s in the middle for both so not holding out much hope ! Although we’ve put deposit down on accom now for the other one so it would be Sod’s law 🙈😂
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

And another yesterday moved from foundation to diploma. Paying for 2 flats is the new normal I'm told! ](*,)
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

DD's friend from Ballet West is auditioning for Bird in a few days. Thinks there are more. Looks like Bird are trying to help these students out? Wonder if other colleges can...
Crazytime
BRIT Award

Post by Crazytime »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:57 pm And another yesterday moved from foundation to diploma. Paying for 2 flats is the new normal I'm told! ](*,)
Omg really !!
Crazytime
BRIT Award

Post by Crazytime »

amo185 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:28 pm DD's friend from Ballet West is auditioning for Bird in a few days. Thinks there are more. Looks like Bird are trying to help these students out? Wonder if other colleges can...
How can they be auditioning when there are people
On the reserve ? That’s a bit unfair 😓
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

I would think it is a gesture due to the exceptional and awful situation those students are in. That must include those already half way through their degree and those who were due to start in September. If DD's friend gets in she may have to start from Year 1 - despite having completed two years already and the associated finances involved. It must be really tough and stressful for everyone so personally I'm pleased that there might possibly be a way for DD's friend to continue her high level of training somehow. Obviously wouldn't want it to affect anyone still waiting on a place. Hope everyone gets good news!
Crazytime
BRIT Award

Post by Crazytime »

amo185 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:16 pm I would think it is a gesture due to the exceptional and awful situation those students are in. That must include those already half way through their degree and those who were due to start in September. If DD's friend gets in she may have to start from Year 1 - despite having completed two years already and the associated finances involved. It must be really tough and stressful for everyone so personally I'm pleased that there might possibly be a way for DD's friend to continue her high level of training somehow. Obviously wouldn't want it to affect anyone still waiting on a place. Hope everyone gets good news!
Hi
Yes I understand it’s a gesture , not sure what each individual circumstance would be , but in theory it would affect others on the reserve list , keeping all crossed that they get a place and they being totally overlooked! So hopefully If this is what is happening , Bird do it all fairly .....
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Crazytime wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:31 pm
amo185 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:16 pm I would think it is a gesture due to the exceptional and awful situation those students are in. That must include those already half way through their degree and those who were due to start in September. If DD's friend gets in she may have to start from Year 1 - despite having completed two years already and the associated finances involved. It must be really tough and stressful for everyone so personally I'm pleased that there might possibly be a way for DD's friend to continue her high level of training somehow. Obviously wouldn't want it to affect anyone still waiting on a place. Hope everyone gets good news!
Hi
Yes I understand it’s a gesture , not sure what each individual circumstance would be , but in theory it would affect others on the reserve list , keeping all crossed that they get a place and they being totally overlooked! So hopefully If this is what is happening , Bird do it all fairly .....
It's been announced that the school is closing
https://www.itv.com/news/2020-08-24/pre ... D6XurelEgQ

Bird did something similar the other year, as did many colleges, when Millennium lost it's funding. It is tough for everyone on the list but just because they are being auditioned it doesn't mean they will get in - at least that was the case with the above last time
Tess50
BRIT Award

Post by Tess50 »

Did anyone else hear that London Studio Centre have cancelled their ballet course just a couple of days ago - my daughter met one girl at the Laine auditions who is a fabulous dancer and decided on the ballet course there and had bought all her uniform etc and got her accommodation booked - some students had already moved to London from abroad and they just messaged them saying their course is not running - the poor girl is now looking at what to do ?
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Tess50 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:21 am Did anyone else hear that London Studio Centre have cancelled their ballet course just a couple of days ago - my daughter met one girl at the Laine auditions who is a fabulous dancer and decided on the ballet course there and had bought all her uniform etc and got her accommodation booked - some students had already moved to London from abroad and they just messaged them saying their course is not running - the poor girl is now looking at what to do ?
Oh my goodness that’s awful. I don’t think colleges appreciate/realise/care what effect this has on students, not that it would have been good news at any time but surely they must’ve known before now? Can’t explain how livid I would be as a parent, especially if they’d already moved in!
Tess50
BRIT Award

Post by Tess50 »

I know the poor girl she seems to be stuck as she's paid accommodation, uniform etc - my heart goes out to her -she's trying to get another course - disgraceful behaviour from LSC.
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

That's awful! This must be throwing so many young people's lives into turmoil after they've already been through five difficult months. I feel for them all.
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

I'm glad that Bird and many other schools are offering hope to the students of Ballet West. I think it must be devastating to have your school close on you 1 or 2 years into your course.

re LSC - I've read on another forum that the cancellation of the Fda Dance Performance course (which has a ballet focus) is due to accreditation of the course - problems related to timing? I don't know if that means this particular course was new for this year or if there had been changes requiring re-accreditation
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

2dancersmum wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:30 pm I'm glad that Bird and many other schools are offering hope to the students of Ballet West. I think it must be devastating to have your school close on you 1 or 2 years into your course.

re LSC - I've read on another forum that the cancellation of the Fda Dance Performance course (which has a ballet focus) is due to accreditation of the course - problems related to timing? I don't know if that means this particular course was new for this year or if there had been changes requiring re-accreditation
Surely at this late stage LSC would take them on another course??